RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
Goodlobster

2 reasons for Rugby to fear a Football takeover

Reason 1 - The All Whites game on Saturday night, the atmosphere, the crowd, Fallons Goal, Pastons save, Nelsen controlling the backline like a master.

Reason 2 - The All Blacks game on Sunday morning, The Re-set scrums, The thrilling penalties going between the uprights, the backline hardly touching the ball, the only try to a Hooker Seagulling on the win.

I wonder if William Webb Ellis regrets picking up that ball and running with it now.

Jezza

3 reasons soccer will never overtake union or league

Reason 1: All whites will be the first team knocked out of the world cup and any fans gained will be too dissapointed to watch again

Reason 2: Hollywoods

Reason 3: not enough games played in a regular season to hold onto any interest

Was wondering why there was no thread about the ABs great win against the Italians.

At one point the stats showed 14 reset scrums, and the last 10mins was played in an area of about 10square meters, riveting stuff.

As for the soccer, it had everything, that saved penalty was worth 2 goals, the crowd were amazing and the whole thing couldnt have been scripted better. Just hope NZ soccer use the money wisely this time.

Football is already the biggest participant sport in NZ.

Possibly its an advantage that the All Whites dont play all the time.The All Blacks have damaged their brand by overexposure and too many poor quality performances.While the All Whites arent playing , the Phoenix plus age group teams of both sex will hold the interest.

I dont think an early exit from the World Cup will have any affect because football fans dont have grandiose ezpectations of their team.

As for Hollywoods.Go and ask Shane Smeltz to kick you in the ankle and see if you like it.

Some very good points raised for and against.

I was at the Westpac Stadium on Saturday and it was a great occassion.

However the Hollywoods were completely over the top and almost always from the Bahranian's (is there such a word).

The writhing on the ground in agony after innocuous challenges was absurd. Football need to stamp this out as it is seriously affecting the game.

Its just cheating.

Football in NZ has a huge opportunity now off the backs of the All White's success. It will be interesting to see if the top brass at NZ Football can take advantage of this. They badly missed the boat back in 1982.

Rugby is in serious trouble in NZ. The rules are killing the game and the traditional fan base is getting bored with the rules and the same old Super 12/14/15 then Tri Nations series every year.

Some variety and open attractive rugby is badly needed.

Is Tew and the NZRFU up to the challenge?

Personally I seriously doubt it.

3 reasons soccer will never overtake union or league

Reason 1: All whites will be the first team knocked out of the world cup and any fans gained will be too dissapointed to watch again

Reason 2: Hollywoods

Reason 3: not enough games played in a regular season to hold onto any interest

Was Tongue in cheek Banga

However...

Answer 1. Put into perspective, as long as we perform well at The World Cup the fans will stay. The All Whites are ranked ahead of 120 Football playing Countries, The All Blacks are ranked ahead of 93 Union playing countries...You cannot compare the 2 Sports or the World Cups.

Answer 2. Hollywoods are not good....but on a Par with reset scrums ? ?

Answer 3. Not enough games vs Too Many, Air NZ cup final crowd was disgusting (a result of fans in the Cities being Rugbied out ? ? ), this result and atmosphere and crowd should mean we have more home fixtures in the future for the All Whites.

Answer 3. Not enough games vs Too Many, Air NZ cup final crowd was disgusting (a result of fans in the Cities being Rugbied out ? ? ), this result and atmosphere and crowd should mean we have more home fixtures in the future for the All Whites.

I hope so... even away games would be good

I think the crowd for the airnz cup was pretty good considering half the stadium was off limits due to construction

A few months ago i heard fifa were going to crack down on hollywoods in south africa but cant find any references after a quick google search

I hope so... even away games would be good

I think the crowd for the airnz cup was pretty good considering half the stadium was off limits due to construction

A few months ago i heard fifa were going to crack down on hollywoods in south africa but cant find any references after a quick google search

I heard on the radio yesterday that had it been a European Ref he would have dished out yellow cards to those Bahrainian actors. Ref was from Uruguay and unfortunately that carry on is far more accepted in South America.

Your right it's a blight on the game and is definitely one aspect that will prevent Soccer making further inroads in NZ. It's not in our psychy (except for Andy Haden).

Even football fans can't stand the drama queens in the game, yes it has been mentioned that the refs will be cleaning this side of the game up.

I have seen guys yellow carded for it already in Europe, need some sendings off to get the message across as well..

Was Tongue in cheek Banga

However...

Answer 1. Put into perspective, as long as we perform well at The World Cup the fans will stay. The All Whites are ranked ahead of 120 Football playing Countries, The All Blacks are ranked ahead of 93 Union playing countries...You cannot compare the 2 Sports or the World Cups.

Answer 2. Hollywoods are not good....but on a Par with reset scrums ? ?

Interesting that you touch on provincial rugby Goody. If the All Whites v Bahrain game was the best sporting event I've attended in NZ then my 2nd, 3rd and 4th best ever are Manawatu vs Wellington, v Taranaki and v Hawkes Bay respectfully, in the 1976 -78 Ranfurly Shield era.

These games had the same ingredients as All Whites game, including big build up (eg Street parades and dead magpies hung beside road to greet HB fans), high stakes, great atmosphere, passionate support, close games and we won.

Trouble for me now is that I might be lucky enough to attend another All Whites thriller, but after the NZRU axe falls in December, will I ever get a chance to attend another Shield game in Palmy. Not likely.

Tread wearily Steve Tew. Kill rugby in the provinces and you will find that other sports will flood in to fill the void.

Reason 1 - The All Whites game on Saturday night, the atmosphere, the crowd, Fallons Goal, Pastons save, Nelsen controlling the backline like a master.

Reason 2 - The All Blacks game on Sunday morning, The Re-set scrums, The thrilling penalties going between the uprights, the backline hardly touching the ball, the only try to a Hooker Seagulling on the win.

I wonder if William Webb Ellis regrets picking up that ball and running with it now.

Jezza

Nah mate, can't see it happening, unless the All Whites do something special at the finals. Most will jump off the bandwagon after the tournament is over. Thing is, the ABs win more often than not. The AWs lose, more often than not, on the occasions they get to play top opposition. It's not in the Kiwi psyche to become fanatical about a sport in which NZ is not the top gun in, or near the top. Look at Equestrian for example. About a decade or so ago it was all the rage. I remember one day turning on the news to be greeted by Judy Bailey announcing that NZ was the TOAST OF THE WORLD. Had we found a cure for cancer, solved global warming perhaps? No, we'd won some Equestrian event or other, I forget the details. Anyway the point is we hardly hear about Equestrian anymore do we?

The All Whites have to be number one to overtake the All Blacks in popularity.

That should be easy.Theyve only got 82 teams in front of them.

Until we beat Spain ,England and Brazil on a regular basis Chris will remain a sceptic when it comes to NZ soccer.

Watching grown men fall over when not being touched is laughable, and makes soccer hard to watch. Watching pansie refs give them the free kicks is even harder to watch..

P.S.. was the bahrain hollywood player at the start the same guy who missed the penalty kick? I hope so.

haha, for rugby to fear a football takeover.

the allwhites would have to start winnings games consistantly.

they would have to score more than one goal to keep spectators like myself interested.

They hollywood and cry, you cant touch a bloke or you get pulled up and a free kick is awarded against you.

haha, for rugby to fear a football takeover.

the allwhites would have to start winnings games consistantly.

they would have to score more than one goal to keep spectators like myself interested.

They hollywood and cry, you cant touch a bloke or you get pulled up and a free kick is awarded against you.

To make it more exciting Brabez ? ? Like the thrilling 9-3 Ranfurly shield win by Southland (4 edge of your seat penalties kicked)....

Bradez are you one of those people that gets easily distracted by something Shiny ? ?

SLB, the worse thing was the guy that did the Hollywood dive about 4 mins into the game (after the free kick and yellow card had been awarded) was that he flicked himself up fron the ground in Shawn Micheals WWE style.....he probably got the biggest Booing of the night

Watching grown men fall over when not being touched is laughable, and makes soccer hard to watch. Watching pansie refs give them the free kicks is even harder

Watching the All Whites player being stretchered off in the 2nd half of Saturday's game, could you imagine a player in any other sport doing that, all for the sake off a sore ankle. If that was me, I would be embarrased!

To make it more exciting Brabez ? ? Like the thrilling 9-3 Ranfurly shield win by Southland (4 edge of your seat penalties kicked)....

Bradez are you one of those people that gets easily distracted by something Shiny ? ? /QUOTE]

Absolutely spot on Goodlobster. The two most thrilling games of the sporting year in NZ and only one try/goal contained in the two of them.

You don't need tries and goals if there is enough on the line and the passion is high. What Bradez is saying is "I don't really like soccer, never will, and didn't really care if All Whites won or not". Thus he never got into the game.

Taking it further, that's why those two try, boring, Tri Nations games don't do it for many of us. We love the All Blacks to win, but there just isn't enough on the line. It's a three team comp and if we don't win it this year, we'll win it next.

In all seriousness, I really don't think this win by the All Whites will see a massive surge in interest in the game.

I liken it more to just an outstanding sporting achievement by a NZ team......just like Dick Tayler's Gold Medal in '74......or the Hockey team of '76.....Rob Waddell....Sarah Ulmer....etc etc.

The All Whites could go out in their next game and get thumped....and that'll get all the fair weather supporters saying things like.."i'll never bother watching them again".

In saying that, last night my father asked me if i'd take him to the next Phoenix game at the caketin, which is on Dec 4th.

He's a mad soccer supporter and has never been to a Phoenix game.....and neither have I....but he won free tickets to their next 3 home games and wants to go.....so i'll suffer through it.....ha ha.

In all seriousness CT

It doesn't need to surge much at all....it is already played more than rugby by kids...and if they are seeing the soccer players as stars instead of the rugby players maybe they won't change codes later on in years...

At least the Public will be excited about the pool draw for the Soccer World Cup for The All Whites on the 5th December....slightly more intense than the All Blacks Pool draw on the 1st December where we will get 2 easy beats and one game where we may have to beat Scotland or Samoa or something.

There is no such thing as an easy pool in The Football World Cup CT.....and more than 4 or 5 teams have a chance to win it every 4 years.

Enjoy the Phoenix game...and make sure if we lead with 10 mins to go you take your shirt off and swing it above your head with the rest of The Yellow Fever fans

If you really want to show your true colours CT why don't you stick your head in between the waist of a couple of guys in front of you .....then reach up between one of the guys legs and grab his shirt from just above his crotch...If anyone asks what you are doing just tell them "I'm showing that I'm a true rugby fan not a Poofter soccer supporter" this is what us real men get up to in a scrum

See how you get on mate HAHAHAHA