RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
Grey Way

2019 new stallions

Actually be quite interesting to see numbers of mares covered this last season - and I see the South Island NZB catalogue has half the entries compared to last year. New stallions can come but apart from the big breeders will there be enough outside mares....

5 hours ago, Ruby said:

Actually be quite interesting to see numbers of mares covered this last season - and I see the South Island NZB catalogue has half the entries compared to last year. New stallions can come but apart from the big breeders will there be enough outside mares....

Good point, what I find interesting is that there is a lot of dialogue coming out about the lack of horses on the ground in the future from the likes of NZTR i.e. no one breeding etc , yet there is absolutely nothing being done to get people back into breeding no incentives etc just a load platitudes. 

I think a lot of the studs are trying especially the smaller ones , but where are the incentives to breed for those breeders who are borderline breeding there are plenty of disincentives but no support to push persons to go again, or rethink putting their mare to stud if they haven't been for  a few years and try to get the industry up and going in the future.

Wet day today so I just had quick look at the returns on the Stud Book site, for new stallions so far, for last year.

What's the Story   35

Savile Row             38

Derryn                     105

War Decree             93

Time Test                115

Almanzor                  139

Santono Aladdin        91

El Douto                      14

There are a couple to still lodge their returns.    

On 3/9/2019 at 7:34 AM, Huey said:

Good point, what I find interesting is that there is a lot of dialogue coming out about the lack of horses on the ground in the future from the likes of NZTR i.e. no one breeding etc , yet there is absolutely nothing being done to get people back into breeding no incentives etc just a load platitudes. 

I think a lot of the studs are trying especially the smaller ones , but where are the incentives to breed for those breeders who are borderline breeding there are plenty of disincentives but no support to push persons to go again, or rethink putting their mare to stud if they haven't been for  a few years and try to get the industry up and going in the future.

Will also be interesting to see what the stud fees are this year....not that I'm breeding this year or the immediate future.....

On ‎3‎/‎9‎/‎2019 at 7:34 AM, Huey said:

With the local racing industry in free fall,  what the hell is the point in breeding?

A healthy racing industry is all the incentive needed.

Depends if you own a mare.

Not serving a broodmare you own them devalues them anyway as well as the rest of the family.

Better serving them with cheaper stallion with upside than not serving them at all!

Getting the progeny of a mare a chance out on the race track is important.

If you don't want to risk $15,000 service fee there is a range to choose between $4,000 and $10,000.

Ask nicely and if you have a well bred mare and they even give you a discount!!!

15 hours ago, Nasrullah said:

Better serving them with cheaper stallion with upside

Although I haven't bred a thoroughbred for 7 or 8 years now I always preferred proven stallions against new flashy unproven stallions , I would be very interested to know How or with what statistics you use to define Upside in a stallion?

19 hours ago, Pam Robson said:

With the local racing industry in free fall,  what the hell is the point in breeding?

A healthy racing industry is all the incentive needed.

Yes but breeding racehorses and making sure there is enough product there to resurrect the industry is all part of it. Racehorses don't just appear over night I'm sure you know that, the trouble with racing in this country is there is no long term planning or vision thats why its on the rocks.

17 hours ago, Nasrullah said:

Depends if you own a mare.

Not serving a broodmare you own them devalues them anyway as well as the rest of the family.

Better serving them with cheaper stallion with upside than not serving them at all!

Getting the progeny of a mare a chance out on the race track is important.

If you don't want to risk $15,000 service fee there is a range to choose between $4,000 and $10,000.

Ask nicely and if you have a well bred mare and they even give you a discount!!!

I agree there are some attractive breed to race horses in that price range , some unproven but with nice pedigrees/race track performances the likes of Telperion,Complacent,Derryn,Vanbrugh and War Decree.

On 3/9/2019 at 11:45 AM, Breeder said:

Wet day today so I just had quick look at the returns on the Stud Book site, for new stallions so far, for last year.

What's the Story   35

Savile Row             38

Derryn                     105

War Decree             93

Time Test                115

Almanzor                  139

Santono Aladdin        91

El Douto                      14

There are a couple to still lodge their returns.    

Nice to see Derryn get 105 mares. 

The perfect number in my opinion. 

He should get about 70 foals, which is more than enough to do a nice job on the track if they are good enough. 

I seriously dislike stallions that cover huge books as the quality of the results is certainly diluted in my opinion. 

Interesting to see 25 broodmares in the Gavelhouse auction this week, and a good number over the last while. Although the studs like Waikato are putting a few on this site, many have notations such as "owner getting out of breeding", or "owner downsizing", or "owner has too many...." etc etc. Just another sign of the many issues surrounding racing which have been slowly accumulating for the last 30 years plus.

19 hours ago, Insider said:

I seriously dislike stallions that cover huge books as the quality of the results is certainly diluted in my opinion. 

Insider I'm not saying I disagree but do you have any stats to back this up?

Staphanos Timeform 123. Makes him the highest rated of the stallions discussed above so far.

Should sell well to Australians given Arrowfield taking a lead and that he was a multiple Group One horse in Hong Kong they will know him also .

3 hours ago, WOODBINE said:

This would make sense He would be a good horse at WhitevRobe Lodge down south

Absolutely, good call. But I did see him advertised on tv standing at CS the other day?

1 hour ago, elvis said:

Absolutely, good call. But I did see him advertised on tv standing at CS the other day?

Yep saw that on Trackside yesterday also, I dohope they don't price him as poorly as the other Savabeel at stud could be a good bread and butter option for the smaller breeder.