RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
JJ Flash

Mark Purdon Article

Nights like this make it all worthwhile for Mark Purdon.

Because it not the money or the glory that keeps Purdon away from home all summer.

It is the satisfaction he feels when things go right and Purdon and partner Natalie Rasmussen can get the best out of their horses and do the right thing by their owners.

And things went all the way right on Saturday night a Menangle.

The All Stars trained four winners, three at group one level and most importantly the quinella in the A$1 million Miracle Mile as Spankem outsped stablemate Thefixer.

It was Purdon’s first driving success in the Mile, a race his brother Barry and brother-in-law Tony Herlihy had both driven the winners of before so Mark was thrilled to join the family honour roll.

“It is a race I’m glad I finally won because it is one I always wanted and it would have annoyed me if I retired one day not having got it,” says Purdon.

But personal glory is not what motivates Purdon to spend three tiring months on the road, with the Hall of Famer admitting his gruelling summer has sapped him.

“It has been hard,” says Purdon.

“I think the only time I have been home since early December was for the yearling sales and while it is great to have all these horses and to win big races traveling all the time isn’t easy. “I think people see nights like what we had on Saturday and see the glamour but it has been a testing summer in some ways.

“But when you see the horses race that well and the thrill the owners and the staff get out of it, it is very, very satisfying.”

As dominant as horses like Our Princess Tiffany (NSW Oaks) and Our Dream About Me (Ladyship Mile) were, Purdon still needed his rarest of training skills to get them there.

Both of that pair and Spankem were in doubt for this carnival just three weeks ago and part of Purdon’s mastery is his self-belief to change his plans at the last minute to suit how a horse feels.

Three weeks ago Spankem was coming home to New Zealand with a hoof abscess, now he is the Miracle Mile champion, with delayed flights also helping.

“I wasn’t surprised he won because his work last week was so good and his gate speed was a huge asset,” says Purdon.

“And he loved the big track and the speed racing. But he still had to be good to hold out Thefixer.”

Spankem will now have a short break while Dream About Me retires a last-start group one winner. Our Princess Tiffany was breathtaking and has raced back to the head of the fillies ranks while All U Need Is Faith got a deserved listed win.

As for Purdon, he will make it part of the way home (Christchurch), flying into Auckland today to put the finishing touches on his team for Derby night at Alexandra Park this Friday.

The machine rolls on.

Harnesslink

Greg

Michael Guerin

1 hour ago, JJ Flash said:

Nights like this make it all worthwhile for Mark Purdon.

Because it not the money or the glory that keeps Purdon away from home all summer.

It is the satisfaction he feels when things go right and Purdon and partner Natalie Rasmussen can get the best out of their horses and do the right thing by their owners.

And things went all the way right on Saturday night a Menangle.

The All Stars trained four winners, three at group one level and most importantly the quinella in the A$1 million Miracle Mile as Spankem outsped stablemate Thefixer.

It was Purdon’s first driving success in the Mile, a race his brother Barry and brother-in-law Tony Herlihy had both driven the winners of before so Mark was thrilled to join the family honour roll.

“It is a race I’m glad I finally won because it is one I always wanted and it would have annoyed me if I retired one day not having got it,” says Purdon.

But personal glory is not what motivates Purdon to spend three tiring months on the road, with the Hall of Famer admitting his gruelling summer has sapped him.

“It has been hard,” says Purdon.

“I think the only time I have been home since early December was for the yearling sales and while it is great to have all these horses and to win big races traveling all the time isn’t easy. “I think people see nights like what we had on Saturday and see the glamour but it has been a testing summer in some ways.

“But when you see the horses race that well and the thrill the owners and the staff get out of it, it is very, very satisfying.”

As dominant as horses like Our Princess Tiffany (NSW Oaks) and Our Dream About Me (Ladyship Mile) were, Purdon still needed his rarest of training skills to get them there.

Both of that pair and Spankem were in doubt for this carnival just three weeks ago and part of Purdon’s mastery is his self-belief to change his plans at the last minute to suit how a horse feels.

Three weeks ago Spankem was coming home to New Zealand with a hoof abscess, now he is the Miracle Mile champion, with delayed flights also helping.

“I wasn’t surprised he won because his work last week was so good and his gate speed was a huge asset,” says Purdon.

“And he loved the big track and the speed racing. But he still had to be good to hold out Thefixer.”

Spankem will now have a short break while Dream About Me retires a last-start group one winner. Our Princess Tiffany was breathtaking and has raced back to the head of the fillies ranks while All U Need Is Faith got a deserved listed win.

As for Purdon, he will make it part of the way home (Christchurch), flying into Auckland today to put the finishing touches on his team for Derby night at Alexandra Park this Friday.

The machine rolls on.

Harnesslink

Greg

Michael Guerin

He basically labelled it a good thing on his website based on recent work. I'm waiting to see this weeks oil for Friday especially any comment on the Sniper which seemed to go very rough approaching home turn last week and see if any. gear changes are made.

Yeh Newmarket, from talk I heard at the time it was thought he either just pulled a shoe and lost concentration etc, at first they thought he struck the sulky wheel, bit of a bugga whatever, but the little fella fought back bravely only just goin down....

Cheers Iraklis

1 hour ago, Iraklis said:

Yeh Newmarket, from talk I heard at the time it was thought he either just pulled a shoe and lost concentration etc, at first they thought he struck the sulky wheel, bit of a bugga whatever, but the little fella fought back bravely only just goin down....

Cheers Iraklis

Whatever the reason, Mark WILL make changes and he WILL be a force to be reckoned with, whatever the draw.Count on it.

I really hope Machete wins on Friday night, I hope he smashes them. But I wouldn't be betting on him to win. Prefer just to watch and see. One win from his last 8 starts, he has had his share of issues to deal with in recent times. Great draw to work with, and with Jack's Legend drawn the outside of the front line, hopefully Machete can find the lead and dictate terms in front. Wouldn't be surprised to see JL give him a bit of a scare however as he is racing very well at the moment. 

Yeh Rusty me too, I like him alot, sad to hear of all his issues but we need to remember, when at his best he is more than capable of wreckin this lot :rcfe-like: and you know what, I reckon he will, his boss and bossette are back in town and he an she are no nonsense kinda people.....Jack is goin well yes, and StarG can go (gooo! the boys, sorry, had to chuck in a cheer for the Northerners) but, I reckon he's got this lot at his mercy.....

Cheers Iraklis

On 3/5/2019 at 9:04 AM, Iraklis said:

Yeh Rusty me too, I like him alot, sad to hear of all his issues but we need to remember, when at his best he is more than capable of wreckin this lot :rcfe-like: and you know what, I reckon he will, his boss and bossette are back in town and he an she are no nonsense kinda people.....Jack is goin well yes, and StarG can go (gooo! the boys, sorry, had to chuck in a cheer for the Northerners) but, I reckon he's got this lot at his mercy.....

Cheers Iraklis

Gone amiss and retired. Another Masterpiece out on Friday as well with a temperature

1 hour ago, Iraklis said:

Oh nuts nuts nuts! gawd it would've been good to have him at his best again, not to be buggah it all :rcf-sad-14:

Cheers Iraklis

Its not at all surprising and shows how good he must have been for them to carry on so long with him given his issues. The stable is having another clean out with a new lot ready to enter the system. Expect a few to be sold in the near term