RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
Taku Umanga

Cambridge v Auckland

Cambridge   $8000 ($4560, $1200, $800, $400, $240, others $160)

Auckland      $20000 ($10700, $3400, $1600, $1000, $500, others $400)

Run 4th at Cambridge, earn $400 less driving fee and percentage and lose no rating points.

Run last at Auckland, earn $400 less driving fee and lose 1 or 2 rating points.

I think the auckland club is the author of its own problems.

What I would like to know is the $ value return to the club per starter in the higher quality product races compared to the lower average quality.

In other words they pay much higher stakes and often get small fields, especially those  of restricted age ,so you would think races like an average full field ,1 win race with average form and $14,000 stakes, ,would have much greater returns $ wise to the club.  You cant tell me 3 or 4 of those races run last night were not run at a significant loss given their failure to attract betting,

So given that,why is it the Auckland club does not have a major focus on attracting and providing the product that returns them the most.

A classic example is their failure to have amateur races at their club.  On one hand they wont access a product available ,then in the next breath they complain they cant get enough product, 

So what should they do about it. Well obviously change the failed thinking and strategy that they have always had.

They need to access more product. And that can only come from the south island or from clubs like Cambridge. Obviously competing with Cambridge will ultimately be to their own detrement ,so it must be the south island. That must go hand in hand with progamming races with conditions that maximise participation. Theres more average horses,so by increasing the pool they create a bigger group which helps viable races get off the ground.. They must develop the right  contacts in the south island.

We are told the club has major $ resources, yet they use them very poorly to improve participation levels..

Why doesn't  the Auckland club  set up a  system where they source the product themselves and employ half a dozen trainers to train 5 or 6 horses for them. They would not pay training fees but a wage. They have the ability to limit costs but still provide employment at a fair reimbursement to those involved. By dealing in bulk they could negotiate with vets,farriers food merchants to reduce costs. a win, win for all concerned. They could provide their own transport or negotiate a deal,whatever is best for their bottom line.

Those employed would have to undergo job interviews and be expected to meet certain standards. Mentoring would be part of the process,  They would be subject to peer reviews so as to improve areas that they may be weaker in like the media,

For those employed they would have trainers %,driving fees which would increase their income and exposure..

They should have a website where anyone can sign up to a share in the ownership of a horse of their choice for a minimum of 3 months with a right of renewal. Say $20 per week for every 5% share. Part of the ownership package should include discounted feed and alcohol packages,preferred parking, access to daily reports for owners only via internet/facebook on what the horse did that day.Owners seating on racenight. Arrange monthly tour of their stables/studs/sales etc.

For it to work the club must programme the proper races. Races where they are competitive. Why not programme a race limited solely to horses within the pool if sufficient numbers every now and again.

They get $400 a start,so surely that should cover much of the  cost.

They need to enter into agreements with studs to encourage breeding on the understanding the product will go to them.. Many well bred mares are left empty now days.Someone employed to break them in and  per train,once again paid a wage.

At the end of the day,auckland should think outside the square. What is their plan,because from what I read they don't seem to have one that is currently working.

Their plan is to be bigger developer than Phil Twyford.    Glad however to be reassured by you that the club has major $ resources - the last I heard was that they had quite a large working overdraft.    Thanks - that's a relief.

8 minutes ago, eljay said:

Their plan is to be bigger developer than Phil Twyford.    Glad however to be reassured by you that the club has major $ resources - the last I heard was that they had quite a large working overdraft.    Thanks - that's a relief.

Have you not paid for your penthouse suite yet? 

Why all the talk of higher stakes then? Where does that come from if they don't have the money.   

2 each way Lloyd that killed the pool.winx and the derby sort of overshadowed the amateur race at new Plymouth.the club were thrown a curve ball racing on trackside 2 on a group one galloping day.hard to get turnover .My team told me the club tried hard and we very hospitable though the girls did it hard no drinking all day.im scared to see how many points we got.

4 hours ago, tim vince said:

2 each way Lloyd that killed the pool.winx and the derby sort of overshadowed the amateur race at new Plymouth.the club were thrown a curve ball racing on trackside 2 on a group one galloping day.hard to get turnover .My team told me the club tried hard and we very hospitable though the girls did it hard no drinking all day.im scared to see how many points we got.

Nice win Tim.....I was at Derby day and looked up at the screen and the driver had her horse humming.

She looked like a lighter version of Morrie Holmes at his best !