RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
GOM

Auckland cup

Maybe it's just me getting older and a bit more grumpy but I just couldn't help feeling underwhelmed by the Auckland cup and Railway heats. It appeared that a great deal of the dogs taking part would have been more at home in the Monday meeting.

Fair enough final fields I suppose but overall very poor depth in the heats.

7 hours ago, GOM said:

Maybe it's just me getting older and a bit more grumpy but I just couldn't help feeling underwhelmed by the Auckland cup and Railway heats. It appeared that a great deal of the dogs taking part would have been more at home in the Monday meeting.

Fair enough final fields I suppose but overall very poor depth in the heats.

Agreed. The railway final was really underwhelming I thought. Auckland cup looks like a two dog race as well. 

i know a few trainers dodged it because of the way the track has been in recent times.

If only they'd known that the club would have a revelation and actually applied adequate water on Sunday and a much better surface prevailed. 

Congratulations Auckland on that achievment -- keep up the good work.

1 hour ago, Flabbergasted said:

i know a few trainers dodged it because of the way the track has been in recent times.

If only they'd known that the club would have a revelation and actually applied adequate water on Sunday and a much better surface prevailed. 

Congratulations Auckland on that achievment -- keep up the good work.

Haha..i think that was what was called a act of god...nothing to do with the club....

10 hours ago, Hound Fan said:

Haha..i think that was what was called a act of god...nothing to do with the club....

Understand from my northern contact that a certain ex Aussie trainer had input on the way the track was presented on Sunday he stated that the track was in good nick.

1 hour ago, bus stop said:

Understand from my northern contact that a certain ex Aussie trainer had input on the way the track was presented on Sunday he stated that the track was in good nick.

The track was in good nick....my point being it has been lacking water and with the drizzle friday and saturday the track was watered perfectly....hope the club has someone there saturday this week to make sure it is watered before 10am sunday when it is normally done from friday.....and if the club has used nigel...congrats to them...a very knowledgeable man with years of experience 

3 hours ago, GOM said:

Ex Aussie trainer? that certainly narrows the field

Just goes to show what they think of their own club affiliated trainers if they happily take advice from a “travelling ex Aussie trainer” yet they refute advice from the very people who race their week in week out....

On a positive note, I thought the triumvirate of Andy/Mark and Philippa ( I hope Philippa does not mind being included in a triumVIRate) did a splendid job on Dogzone this week and gave us all plenty of "ammunition" to like our own selections. 

I would love to see Ringside win the Cup for Ray Adcock but he must lead and that may not be possible in this quality field. Pinny Mack has been a favourite of mine for some time and I think that is where my dollars will go on Sunday.

Sir Duggie is out-and-out the best sprinter in NZ and the Railway is his presuming he makes his usual speedy beginning. If not, who knows. 

The beauty of racing is that there is no such thing as a certainty.

I hope I have not jinxed Winx with that remark!!!

PS I was saddened to hear that Dangle The Carat had succumbed to cancer. She was my favourite greyhound throughout her outstanding career. The combination of sheer brilliance and staying strength was remarkable.

I thought the bookies have been more than generous today on the 2 big races. Idol Nifty @$12, ran a time in the heat after only its 2nd race at the track which equaled Sir Duggies best time. What an effort by Ringside to run 30.14 first look, I think today it my very well go sub 30 and @$4.20 is great value. Goodluck, save travels and all the best to connections and trainers today.

34 minutes ago, My Two Cents said:

Curious to know how the day went yesterday on track? Was there a decent crowd or similar to most years? 

Good crowd....great atmosphere...and well run by the club....track had plenty of water ...sad thing was the food was the worst meal ever seen...cold meat pastries.....stale buns and watered curry with cold chicken......maybe the food heated up and changed later......

...no desert and no coffee....as 1 visitor said ..next time i will buy my own drinks and get a burger...

5 hours ago, Hound Fan said:

Good crowd....great atmosphere...and well run by the club....track had plenty of water ...sad thing was the food was the worst meal ever seen...cold meat pastries.....stale buns and watered curry with cold chicken......maybe the food heated up and changed later......

...no desert and no coffee....as 1 visitor said ..next time i will buy my own drinks and get a burger...

Steve have to agree the food they presented was a bloody embrasment which they offered to the guests, if finances are a problem I would suggest they find a sponsor. They need to come Christchurch to see what the guests are offered.

8 hours ago, Hound Fan said:

Great to hear there was good attendance and the track was in  what sounds like good order. Did notice 2 hip support injuries but they could be part in parcel. As for the food I’m sure most regulars have come to expect nothing less than what they pay for.....it’s been average for donkeys years,  but hey who in their right mind would take on the catering contract their to be fair, most Aucklander’s don’t even no that the track exists so there goes a large percentage of your clientele for anytime other than race day’s, of which turnover wouldn’t feed a budgie for 6mths....