RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
Overcheck

Canterbury Starter

I understand that it is not the starters job to call a false start when horses are well back from the arm unless they have been interfered with in the run up. It is up to the stipes to take some sort of action against the driver concerned {which they don't).  Why then if you apply this ruling does he insist on all horses in a standing start be right up to the tape but not touching? Trying to get one horse standing half a length back up to the tape often leads to other horses becoming unsettled. This only applies of course when it is not a run up start by a section of the field.

Why do we even have a tape, this is such a archaic way of starting, even the great CARBINE god bless was still alive he would have something to say as the only time he got left out of the money was when the tape wrapped around his legs but sorry I forgot we are run by muppets and gin swiggers 

starter lamb down in Canterbury seems to have lost his way starting races , ive been over the starts on the coast , he was yelling and abusing drivers, and now hes a stipe also, hes the all round man , think its time he is one or another , or go back to being the darfield cop

2 hours ago, hands down said:

starter lamb down in Canterbury seems to have lost his way starting races , ive been over the starts on the coast , he was yelling and abusing drivers, and now hes a stipe also, hes the all round man , think its time he is one or another , or go back to being the darfield cop

He "lost his way" many years ago. Worst starter I have seen and he is not good enough to be starter at Addington the premier harness racing course in NZ. Unfortunately, Mr Lamb appears untouchable with no action from HRNZ over his too numerous to mention ballsups. 

41 minutes ago, Thejanitor said:

He "lost his way" many years ago. Worst starter I have seen and he is not good enough to be starter at Addington the premier harness racing course in NZ. Unfortunately, Mr Lamb appears untouchable with no action from HRNZ over his too numerous to mention ballsups. 

Hit the nail on the head mate. 

Wished the Trackside TV producer would pull the plug on the microphone at the start too... noone wants to hear Lamb baaa-ing like he does, with his starters orders etc "riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight!"? 

If you want to see real bad , as in on a par with Lamb watch this afternoons mile stand starts at Wairio.  Some literally run at the tapes and do so with little or no punishment by either starter or RIU if history is anything to go by.

Greg

1 hour ago, JJ Flash said:

If you want to see real bad , as in on a par with Lamb watch this afternoons mile stand starts at Wairio.  Some literally run at the tapes and do so with little or no punishment by either starter or RIU if history is anything to go by.

Greg

This is hardly surprising Greg. Mr Lamb sets the benchmark, as he is starter at Canterbury meetings and at Addington where the best horses are. Mr Lamb is not only a starter but a steward as well, so it is therefore not surprising that other starters around the country will emulate him.

I mentioned some years ago that I was struggling to see what value he added as a starter, things quite often are a shambles, and I was convinced that that big scream of riiiiight would scare some horses into breaking. I see he has toned that down somewhat, but if you bet on races where he is the starter, you always find yourself holding your breath at the start because you have the extra worry of not just whether your horse is going to go, but also whether the starter is going to cause chaos.

51 minutes ago, Everton said:

I mentioned some years ago that I was struggling to see what value he added as a starter, things quite often are a shambles, and I was convinced that that big scream of riiiiight would scare some horses into breaking. I see he has toned that down somewhat, but if you bet on races where he is the starter, you always find yourself holding your breath at the start because you have the extra worry of not just whether your horse is going to go, but also whether the starter is going to cause chaos.

Time for R Donelly to take over surely?? Too many balls up as you say Everton , you hold your breath at every start hes in charge. I copped a bloody nose on Virgil but with 6 wins on the night  manged to get out.

Must be a coincidence but blue is the go to colour for big race success . The Slipper result was all one way for a stable as well.

Can you imagine this happening when Lamb is starting

" MADAME CONNOISTRE - inconvenienced by a front line runner pacing roughly then breaking late in the score up resulting in the mare being badly impeded at the start. The authorisation of payment of dividends was withheld until the mare was declared a non runner under Rule 213(1)(j) as Stewards deemed it not to have received a fair start. The Starter Mr F Phelan was shown the video coverage and spoken to advisedly"

On 3/24/2019 at 10:57 AM, Newmarket RC said:

Time for R Donelly to take over surely?? Too many balls up as you say Everton , you hold your breath at every start hes in charge. I copped a bloody nose on Virgil but with 6 wins on the night  manged to get out.

Must be a coincidence but blue is the go to colour for big race success . The Slipper result was all one way for a stable as well.

No driver declared as yet for Virgil this week  in 50K race. Will Ms Ottley keep the drive is the big question as all the other 4 AS runners have declared drivers.

32 minutes ago, Blue said:

I just thought maybe they're looking to elevate the $$$ on one of the others to ensure another Jewels runner. Just saying.

Possibly , but the non declaration may be interesting in itself. Only time will tell.