poundforpound

Otaki track management seems odd

35 posts in this topic

So it was a dead 5 Tuesday, same yesterday, same today.....but they added another 8 mls last night.

Forecast for unsettled weather tomorrow, oscillating between 28-40 mls heavy rain incoming, with further showers forecast Saturday .

Are we preparing for a soft 8 or worse, a winter track ?

I cannot see the logic here, or what the end goal is other than a probable mud bath.

Is this how summer G1 Racing is supposed to be ? Who could be calling the shots here ?

Johno Benner said about 20 mins ago they have had 20mm so far. Cloudy at present.

Says track at the moment probably inti the slow range but if no more rain and a southerly wind could make the track a dead 6 tomorrow.

Whatever, he says the inside will be off and they will coming out to the middle of the track. 

2 hours ago, rdytdy said:

Johno Benner said about 20 mins ago they have had 20mm so far. Cloudy at present.

Says track at the moment probably inti the slow range but if no more rain and a southerly wind could make the track a dead 6 tomorrow.

Whatever, he says the inside will be off and they will coming out to the middle of the track. 

The lying bastards at NZTR say 16 mls so far ( I’d believe Jono all day every day over them ) and the MetService says another 10 mls to come.

It'll be a shit show for sure, they’ll come very wide from race 1, and by the time the G1 race is run the outside rail will be the prime spot......just what you need when you’re assembling your best G1 milers and broadcasting Internationally.

I wonder why the global racing community doesn’t take us seriously ?

So now they’ve produced a slow 7 track for their big days racing.

Isn't this typical, presumably NZTR either orchestrated this, or sat on their hands and watched it happen.

It’s been a dead 5 all week, yet they keep splashing the water on knowing that all the forecasts said we had the residues of a cyclone bringing heavy rain late Thursday Friday ...I mean WTF......where’s the fucking RIU when this travesty is being orchestrated, who’s asking the questions, why the fuck were they watering all week when they knew what was coming ?

NZTR and the RIU.....you are both seriously incompetent.....you stand by and watch this happen and you think it’s ok !!

The reality is that it should’ve been a good 3 on nominations day and then after the rain it’d be a dead 5, and drying , but no, you lot have it a 5 and now it’s a soft 7.....tell me who's incompetent, tell me who’s ruining NZ Racing, it ain’t the jockeys and trainers, it’s the clowns sitting in the offices letting this embarrassing shit occur., 

3 minutes ago, scooby3051 said:

But nothing will happen...no wonder people think NZ racing is a laughing stock...thats what happens when you have people with no knowledge or feeling for the industry calling the shots...total incompetent muppets.

Don’t know if you’re in NZ Scooby, but watch if you are, this’ll be mid summer racing around the outside fence for sure.

8 minutes ago, poundforpound said:

Don’t know if you’re in NZ Scooby, but watch if you are, this’ll be mid summer racing around the outside fence for sure.

And they spent a year supposedly "fixing " the track did they not...who is responsible for track management...he needs firing...blind Freddy could see the weather forecast and if by chance it does not come THEN add some water....geez I am not a farmer or track manager and even I know that much...its called commonsense... seems the powers that be missed out on that.!!!!!

18 minutes ago, scooby3051 said:

Not as bad as I thought it would be, and your horses ran well today Leo, good win by Felaar and a bloody nice ride too...and Consensus was as game as ever in the big one...Congrats.

If you can't get Opie or Chris...Troy is the next best! Top Ride!

Interesting, great that it wasn't so bad after all, I thought it was going to be the end of the world with all the comments on the proceedings of the week, I thought it was great, backed a couple  of winners, so no complaints from me.

5 hours ago, Shad said:

Interesting, great that it wasn't so bad after all, I thought it was going to be the end of the world with all the comments on the proceedings of the week, I thought it was great, backed a couple  of winners, so no complaints from me.

It is a nightmare when you have to race off the rail in summer....a disgrace  for all connections and punters.

So before the race do you go wide for better ground or  cut the corner and save ground....both options were successful BTW.

Impossible situation all round because of over watering as usual ....a joke

It's because they don't employ folk that are passionate about it anymore, or people that are prepared to get up in the early hours to check the track and the weather every day of the week, which is what the old guard used to do, believe me I know   ..   unfortunately the passion for the job of track manager isn't what it used to be.   No need for it though...  get some well educated agribusiness graduates on the job and I think you'd solve the problem - they are up to date with satellite images, can do soil testing, are physically fit and passionate about what they do and they also know about grass growth rates, rock bed drainage (predominate in old river valleys ..  Trentham, Manawatu, Otaki). love animals,  and know about developments in soil impacts.

If you want to be a serious business, hire those that are willing to put in the hours because they love what they do.  It's what everyone else in racing does - they love what they do..

21 minutes ago, Chestnut said:

It's because they don't employ folk that are passionate about it anymore, or people that are prepared to get up in the early hours to check the track and the weather every day of the week, which is what the old guard used to do, believe me I know   ..   unfortunately the passion for the job of track manager isn't what it used to be.   No need for it though...  get some well educated agribusiness graduates on the job and I think you'd solve the problem - they are up to date with satellite images, can do soil testing, are physically fit and passionate about what they do and they also know about grass growth rates, rock bed drainage (predominate in old river valleys ..  Trentham, Manawatu, Otaki). love animals,  and know about developments in soil impacts.

If you want to be a serious business, hire those that are willing to put in the hours because they love what they do.  It's what everyone else in racing does - they love what they do..

Post of the Year! :rcf-cool:

It's true though, track managers previously lived on the track, usually in Racecourse Road :)  so the track was accessible, just through a gate .. now they live off track, and visit it, in what.. business hours? .. everyone knows that mother nature has her own hours.  It's a 24/7 job.

36 minutes ago, Chestnut said:

It's true though, track managers previously lived on the track, usually in Racecourse Road :)  so the track was accessible, just through a gate .. now they live off track, and visit it, in what.. business hours? .. everyone knows that mother nature has her own hours.  It's a 24/7 job.

Yep...I'm quite sure Golf Course, Cricket Grounds & Rugby Stadium management don't hire Jim's Mowing to do the lawns once a week? :rcf-thinking-1:

In saying that.... some of Jim's lawns do look slightly better than Te Rapa did a week or two ago? :rcf-laughing-2:
https://www.jimsmowing.co.nz/service/lawn-mowing/ 

I went to Otaki Saturday, and I asked the officials for an explanation.

Basically it was this;

The caretaker is a local, and he’s on his own, struggling a bit.

He made decisions based on the fact the forecast rain may not arrive ( he got that wrong !! ) and the impact compounded 

NZTR had no useful input, in fact I was told, incredibly, that the NZTR experts decided they should dedicate their time and resources to Wairoa......yep.....NZTR sent their expert staff to Wairoa.....it’d have nothing to do with seafood, BBQs or golf....Wairoa needed expert advice for their $10,000 races, more so than Otaki did for the years best G1 event.

Work that out.