RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
Black Kirrama

Matamata 100 Years of Racing

19 hours ago, bryce waters said:

Jockeys

Fred Watts, Wayne Smith, Paul Asher, Damon Anaki, Roger Elliott, Peter Rowlands, Simon Royal, Dean Simonson, Choc Hounsell, Shelton Puni Hounsell, Tom & John Fallon, Malcolm Murdoch, Ivan Illingsworth, Mervyn Green, Gary Mulcahy, Michael Fisher, Harry Wana, Michael Ropiha, Laurie Cavanagh, Jim Fantail Tony Michael  Steven & Jamie Gillies,  Graeme Walters, Peter Ryan, Bob Stephen & Toby Autridge, Bill Short, Ray Johnson, Date Donalson, Kevin Scott, Max Hinton, Brett McDonald, Mike Darragh, Peter Wilson, Bryce Gibson, Leigh Massey, John Moody, Don Graham, Kerry Dye, Shane Dye, Vic Dye, Gordon Murray, Brian Tims, Gary Tims, Buzz Leggat, Wizz Doyle, Lance Rokela, Trevor & Brian Harris, Roger Verry, 

Local Legends   Allan & Cam Robinson, Bill Brown, Bill Tims, Ned Brown, Jim Martin, Hec Tapper, 

Great list Bryce :rcfe-like:

On ‎2‎/‎20‎/‎2019 at 8:43 PM, Tauhei Notts said:

John Key so hated the racing game that he gave the racing portfolio to Nathan Guy, whereas Williamson's knowledge of the racing game would have been so far ahead of Guy.  Few people would be aware of the vindictiveness displayed by John Key.

Good old "Smiling Assassin" John Key - He used to be all smiles and bulls..t when opening the Yearling sales when prime Minister. 

1 hour ago, slam dunk said:

Gubellini,

Any chance looking up Matamata jackpot day the day Peter Moran scooped it. Any interesting winners there?

Nine races that day. In order: Sea Dream, Panza Chief (2yo race), Simple Simon, Boland, Running Bear, Pacific Prince, Arknell, Just Laddie and Niardh. 

Thanks Ted.

Race 1 Hurdles Sea Dream and Keith Opie.

Race 2 2yo Panzer Chief and Dan Weatherley.

Race 3 Hack 7f Simple Simon and David Peake

Race 4 Hack 6f Bo-Land and Kevin Cullen.

Race 5 Steeplechase Running Bear and Fred Blackburn. 

Race 6 Open 1.25 miles and 22 yds Pacific Prince and David Peake.

Race 7 Maiden 7f Arknal and John Riordan.

Race 8 Open 7f Just Laddie and Graham McLiesh.

Race 9 Hack 1.25 miles and 22 yds Niadh and Peter Gollop.

The date was 11/7/70. Track Heavy.

The Matamata races between 1919 and 1923 must have been non betting meetings. The first meeting recorded by the NZ Turf Register was the Annual Meeting on the 8/3/24.

Tote investments £15,194.

Results 

Race 1 5f Major Abbey and RE Thomson. Note Eruba and Sphinx fell and the rider of the latter J Stonnill received fatal injuries.

Race 2 7f Peter Rosa and Harry Wiggins.

Race 3 Matamata Cup 1.25 miles. Stake 200 Sovereigns. Zircon and J O’Shea.

Race 4 1m Arran and Rod McTavish.

Race 5 6f Rarangi and J O’Shea.

Race 6 6f Loch Abbey and WH Jones.

Race 7 1m Dancing Doll and J O’Shea

Race 8 1m Royal Abbey and RE Thomson.

Weather Fine and Track Dusty.

Bill Ford got me to shift to Matamata when I was 20 to ride for him  It was a easy decision because I was  taking Raewyn Alcock out

My career never looked back from that day I often credit Bill for Manikato winning the Golden Slipper Stakes Bill was always wanting horses on their Right leg and he taugh me a lot Manikato kept getting on his wrong leg in the race and because of Bills teaching I was able 

to get him past the post first.  Then lost him he did a right hand turn and finished up the 2000 chute

Had wonderful memories of Matamata have been married to Raewyn for 55 yrs

Rode 125 group and listed winners iN Australia 

regards 

Gary Willetts

On 8/26/2020 at 11:50 AM, Gary Willetts said:

Bill Ford got me to shift to Matamata when I was 20 to ride for him  It was a easy decision because I was  taking Raewyn Alcock out

My career never looked back from that day I often credit Bill for Manikato winning the Golden Slipper Stakes Bill was always wanting horses on their Right leg and he taugh me a lot Manikato kept getting on his wrong leg in the race and because of Bills teaching I was able 

to get him past the post first.  Then lost him he did a right hand turn and finished up the 2000 chute

Had wonderful memories of Matamata have been married to Raewyn for 55 yrs

Rode 125 group and listed winners iN Australia 

regards 

Gary Willetts

And you were treated so badly in that biased suspension you got the day you rode Manikato beautifully and tactically to beat Karaman comprehensively at Caulfield. You didn’t deserve that suspension and it still invites discussion in racing conversations in the Hotel bars. 
You can be very proud of your record - not just on Manikato. 

My first introduction to Matamata was traveling in the truck when Dyak was delivered to Rory McGoven's.I remember the Great Dane coming out to met us. My next encounter was picking up Charlie Casey's horses to go to New Plymouth. I rode for the odd Matamata trainer later on and still had a friendly association with the late Jack Timms who trained there until his passing.