JJ Flash

2019 NZBS Sales

32 posts in this topic

Great to see some real innovation from the new firm as they introduce some real professionalism into the Standardbred Sales. Online viewing of the sale has been a revelation compared to years gone by

Lots more incentives to buy a horse especially the fillies payback schedule.

Greg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

At the close of trading, 100 Lots were sold for an aggregate of $4,675,000 with 30 less horses catalogued than in 2018. The clearance rate was a healthy 73% with the average and median both reaching an all-time high of $46,750 (up 38% on 2018) and $34,000 (up 46% on 2018) respectively.

“I’m very pleased for our first foray into the Standardbred Sales,” commented NZB Managing Director Andrew Seabrook.

“At the end of the first day of selling, feedback from buyers has been positive and it shows in the results.

“The atmosphere has been very encouraging and the clearance will climb over the coming days.”

Feed back suggests a lot of happy customers on both sides of the fence.I see our resident trainer TV was active , good on you

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

yes a great improvement from the 1 set camera days. A minor improvement could be a pedigree expert to "flesh out" the great  points including crosses of gold etc. in harness racing . lack of in depth knowledge very evident. (understandable from Auctioneers expert in thoroughbreds) but really congratulations in order.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, john legend said:

yes a great improvement from the 1 set camera days. A minor improvement could be a pedigree expert to "flesh out" the great  points including crosses of gold etc. in harness racing . lack of in depth knowledge very evident. (understandable from Auctioneers expert in thoroughbreds) but really congratulations in order.

The old firm used to "flesh out" the pedigree a little too much in my opinion, causing the sale to seemingly drag on ..... I think yesterday had a good balance and was a great watch - so much so I might just take some time off and watch the southern effort.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, john legend said:

yes a great improvement from the 1 set camera days. A minor improvement could be a pedigree expert to "flesh out" the great  points including crosses of gold etc. in harness racing . lack of in depth knowledge very evident. (understandable from Auctioneers expert in thoroughbreds) but really congratulations in order.

I found the whole presentation to be far more professional that the old firm. The auctioneers were 20 times better than the stock agents used by PGG Wrightson in years gone by and buyers should know their pedigrees before purchasing. Anybody miss  Paul Davies, i thought not!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Newmarket RC said:

I found the whole presentation to be far more professional that the old firm. The auctioneers were 20 times better than the stock agents used by PGG Wrightson in years gone by and buyers should know their pedigrees before purchasing. Anybody miss  Paul Davies, i thought not!!

Nor Steve Davis ..... he used to annoy me - still does to be fair!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, Taku Umanga said:

Nor Steve Davis ..... he used to annoy me - still does to be fair!

Interesting comment Taku, he is considered the best  NZ auctioneer both locally and offshore. Most vendors i have met hope he sells their horses as he gets the most out of buyers  according to them. As they say though, each to their own.

Auctions find the level of willing buyer/seller naturally, its just that some on the rostrum are better at it than others.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, Newmarket RC said:

Interesting comment Taku, he is considered the best  NZ auctioneer both locally and offshore. Most vendors i have met hope he sells their horses as he gets the most out of buyers  according to them. As they say though, each to their own.

Auctions find the level of willing buyer/seller naturally, its just that some on the rostrum are better at it than others.

We had "words" when he took bids off me when I wasn't bidding a few years back .... the bid spotter I was working with couldn't understand it either.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Taku Umanga said:

We had "words" when he took bids off me when I wasn't bidding a few years back .... the bid spotter I was working with couldn't understand it either.

Funny that similar thing happened to me one time. Kerry S soon put him right as i was talking to him at the time

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Definitely a change for the better and I'm sure having them on their own the trotters are selling better than previously. Stats will be interesting. I would just like to see more of the horses in the ring and less of the auctioneers. Easy to hear how the bidding is going. It's about the horses, not the auctioneer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Stables said:

When was the last time you actually put your hand in your pocket and bought one FTM

Please don't be offended  if I ignore you now and in the future. It's just that you deserve it  based on your posts of late. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Stables said:

Is that what you call ignoring me

Whats your real problem Stables, your posts of late have not been the kindest or even close to the real deal of late. Attacking the regulars wont get you very far and i see even the owner has given you a polite warning.  Are you after a red card

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, 2Piper said:

The only downside of the sales was the poor air conditioning indoors at Chch. 

Put simply there is no obvious venue, other than the current one. If i was on the NZBS think tank i would be looking very seriously at moving the top 200-250 lots to Karaka in future and sell the lesser lights in  the combined general sale they hold in April

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Stables said:

Perhaps Newmarket you should look at some of the comments FTM has made to me. 

I have and am surprised he was so kind to you given some of your posts were completely out of line ,especially the suppression order one. A polite suggestion to you , be careful what you post in future and everyone will get on fine.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, john legend said:

I liked the spotter doing the central rows. very clear when she was holding the top bidder and clear where the bidder was when s she was losing . a bit more colour to the proceedings. 

Agreed, its the same model they use for TB's at Karaka JL. All round they are just that much more professional at running auctions.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now