pickle

Boys get Paid

120 posts in this topic

16 minutes ago, pickle said:

Interesting to read in the Informant that they want a percentage of the on course turnover that they generate.So maybe they are not just in it for fun.

I haven’t read the article but I am guessing they want it to put back into the group and used for things related to the industry e.g Raceday functions and events etc rather than to make a profit. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

8.5% for Industry Event days and above I think for Clubs.

I hope this isn't true ,but If you couldn't see this coming you haven't been watching very closely, this lot think they are special because they are young have a bet and make some noise they get treated better than the owners do at the races already, nip this in the bud quickly or it will get out of hand.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, puha said:

Clubs only receive 6 % of turnover I think so that’s a big ask from BGP although every club would like them oncourse . We all bet oncourse so will I get a cut of the % as well . May open a can of worms .

Nope, do you bring 300 people and 170000 dollars?

do you know how much work goes on behind the scenes before and after, all for free, and they have started a non profit foundation, whats anyone else in this fuked game doing?? Except sitting on their arse bagging every other person or idea out there??

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Huey said:

8.5% for Industry Event days and above I think for Clubs.

I hope this isn't true ,but If you couldn't see this coming you haven't been watching very closely, this lot think they are special because they are young have a bet and make some noise they get treated better than the owners do at the races already, nip this in the bud quickly or it will get out of hand.

And what, racing dies in 5-10 years, no young people to carry it on, you lot need to grow up and see what  good this is doing!

they do a bit more for racing than NZTR are at the moment, and for free

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Razy as said:

Nope, do you bring 300 people and 170000 dollars?

do you know how much work goes on behind the scenes before and after, all for free, and they have started a non profit foundation, whats anyone else in this fuked game doing?? Except sitting on their arse bagging every other person or idea out there??

Plenty of people volunteer for their local clubs and give a lot more free time do they ask for % of the takings ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, Razy as said:

And what, racing dies in 5-10 years, no young people to carry it on, you lot need to grow up and see what  good this is doing!

they do a bit more for racing than NZTR are at the moment, and for free

No argument about NZTR from me, but as Puha has said there are countless volunteers that have put in months if not years of voluntary service to ensure everyone can have a party in the sun.

Not to mention this BGP movement as they call it was never sold on the premise that anyone should make any money out of it, it was a feel good facebook movement of like minded individuals and now its heading in a completely new direction, before they start seeing $$$ for bringing young punters on course I'd like to see owners looked after with a starters allowance or appearance fee.

You're kidding if you think these guys will save racing by bringing 300 punters on course, unless you mean to put the rail up,put the track back,muck out the tie ups etc etc etc

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, puha said:

Plenty of people volunteer for their local clubs and give a lot more free time do they ask for % of the takings ?

No, they volunteer mate.

 

The boys that do this have been on committees, are owners and have worked at racecourses. Why do you want to drag something down you no nothing about?

oh thats right its the New Zealand racing way, if its different bag it.

they turned over $200k plus in their room alone, more than most courses do in a day, making the club 15k plus from their room alone

They could of done it through phones or overseas agencies, prob getting better options and prices!

Just let them be, if they make some money helping the industry and have started a foundation, let them.

maybe do some research before bagging them on a site full of people that love to moan. 

Isn’t this a good thing? Bringing people, fun, money, new owners, new youth to a game thats deteriorating weekly?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Razy as said:

No, they volunteer mate.

 

The boys that do this have been on committees, are owners and have worked at racecourses. Why do you want to drag something down you no nothing about?

oh thats right its the New Zealand racing way, if its different bag it.

they turned over $200k plus in their room alone, more than most courses do in a day, making the club 15k plus from their room alone

They could of done it through phones or overseas agencies, prob getting better options and prices!

Just let them be, if they make some money helping the industry and have started a foundation, let them.

maybe do some research before bagging them on a site full of people that love to moan. 

Isn’t this a good thing? Bringing people, fun, money, new owners, new youth to a game thats deteriorating weekly?

Mate I’m a small timer but own anywhere between 12 -14 horses most of the time  varying from weanlings through to racing and the odd retired one with a home for life.So how much does the industry receive from my horses starting and generating income ? Id say it would be a shit load more than you punt. Do I get a starter fees ? By the way I’ve been a member of BGP a few years so do understand what they are doing and think the amount of fresh blood they are introducing to the industry is fantastic. I just don’t agree which asking for a % of the turnover. By the way your doing the most moaning here.Also saying we can take our toys elsewhere to play if we don’t get our way shows your immaturity.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Razy as said:

Nope, do you bring 300 people and 170000 dollars?

do you know how much work goes on behind the scenes before and after, all for free, and they have started a non profit foundation, whats anyone else in this fuked game doing?? Except sitting on their arse bagging every other person or idea out there??

Did they or did they not charge an admin fee on Karaka Millions night?????? If they did then it sort of makes a mockery of everything they are claiming.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, THE TORCH said:

Did they or did they not charge an admin fee on Karaka Millions night?????? If they did then it sort of makes a mockery of everything they are claiming.

To join there punters club? Yes there was a $5 fee but that was run through the Auckland racing club I believe. I’m not sure who charged the fee but the admin for the syndicate would have been phenomenal for a syndicate of that size. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Huey said:

8.5% for Industry Event days and above I think for Clubs.

I hope this isn't true ,but If you couldn't see this coming you haven't been watching very closely, this lot think they are special because they are young have a bet and make some noise they get treated better than the owners do at the races already, nip this in the bud quickly or it will get out of hand.

A perfect post. 

Some have been in the game 5 minutes and want a handout. Says a lot about todays world.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I love BGP! 

Got the cap, the polo shirt, the lapel pin and had the best time with them at the Cox Plate seeing Winx creating history. 

And the gang are not all youngsters either.... aye Rdytdy. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So much negativity about anything new on these pages these days. Te Akau Steven Marsh Ellerslie and plenty of other clubs and people clearly do not have a problem with BGP.

The only people who seem to have a problem are all you guys who want racing to stay as it was in 1980.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, nick said:

So much negativity about anything new on these pages these days. Te Akau Steven Marsh Ellerslie and plenty of other clubs and people clearly do not have a problem with BGP.

The only people who seem to have a problem are all you guys who want racing to stay as it was in 1980.  

No negativity towards them from what I can see Nick, I can understand where they are coming from for sure, however I have raced plenty of horses over the last 10yrs and have 5 right now, NO ONE is paying me anything for providing the show. They just need to understand that a few of us are ahead of them in the line to get something back, especially owners who pay for the event in the first place.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If BGP put 170 k through Tab and get x percent Tab still make money. Would those individuals bet with Tab without BGP , I've no idea. If they negotiate a deal offshore Tab get nothing .I suppose it's no different to say a big fleet purchaser of cars getting discount . I've not really taken much notice of them and got no intention to as not my thing but if bringing fresh blood into punting and on course cannot be bad I  reckon.They not bringing in loads people to track for fashion show , they are punters to be fair .

I take it its only a few  one off events through the year  . 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

BGP have done a great job of bringing racing to people through what they are doing. 13,000 members throughout NZ and Australia is testament to that. The atmosphere they are bringing to racecourses is huge not to mention the turnover created for the clubs involved and creating great interest throughout both countries.

You could probably count on your fingers how many meetings do $200k in turnover throughout the season from punters on course. BGP with the syndicate bets and what the ones involved did individually on Karaka Million evening was somewhere between  $230- $250K.     

Clubs are lining up to get them on course. Interest from other sectors of the industry has been immense also.

Everything being done by BGP for everyone is free and from what I understand continuing to be done so for the members.

What is being created at present from my understanding is a BGP Foundation whereby funds are going to be built up to help clubs  as well as other sectors of the industry along the lines of increasing stakes on races, sponsoring young people into cadet schemes and other initiatives to help the industry. So any money raised is being ploughed back in to help racing. 

Therefore if any club did a rebate somehow (as occurs with various betting agencies if they bet with them) and the rebate money is used to further help clubs etc 

Clubs are still winning by turnover on course and then later with sponsorship in stakes funding.

Surely everyone wins.

 

 

  

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Razy as said:

No, they volunteer mate.

 

The boys that do this have been on committees, are owners and have worked at racecourses. Why do you want to drag something down you no nothing about?

oh thats right its the New Zealand racing way, if its different bag it.

they turned over $200k plus in their room alone, more than most courses do in a day, making the club 15k plus from their room alone

They could of done it through phones or overseas agencies, prob getting better options and prices!

Just let them be, if they make some money helping the industry and have started a foundation, let them.

maybe do some research before bagging them on a site full of people that love to moan. 

Isn’t this a good thing? Bringing people, fun, money, new owners, new youth to a game thats deteriorating weekly?

And as the TAB says, "you know the odds, now beat them". BGP no different from every other punter. But wait, they are predominantly millennials so there must be a kick-back for them as they have been shafted by the boomers. :rcfe-laughing: Give me a break, they are only there for the party, have a punt (HOPEFULLY A SUCCESSFUL ONE), and score a root with some young "lady" full  of Lindauer. How many are invested in ownership?(I know a few are through familial ties but not 300) They have snagged an opportunity in a struggling environment and think they are racing's salvation when in fact they are active only in the "selfie" world. How many were on course at Reefton, Wingatui, Timaru??? I am an owner who puts on the show for them so where's my rebate?

This whole scenario smacks of Cindy's socialist agenda (not to mention that Democrat flip Ocasio-Cortez in USA) where everybody gets a rebate and nobody pays!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now