pickle

Boys get Paid

120 posts in this topic

42 minutes ago, chevy86 said:

And as the TAB says, "you know the odds, now beat them". BGP no different from every other punter. But wait, they are predominantly millennials so there must be a kick-back for them as they have been shafted by the boomers. :rcfe-laughing: Give me a break, they are only there for the party, have a punt (HOPEFULLY A SUCCESSFUL ONE), and score a root with some young "lady" full  of Lindauer. How many are invested in ownership?(I know a few are through familial ties but not 300) They have snagged an opportunity in a struggling environment and think they are racing's salvation when in fact they are active only in the "selfie" world. How many were on course at Reefton, Wingatui, Timaru??? I am an owner who puts on the show for them so where's my rebate?

This whole scenario smacks of Cindy's socialist agenda (not to mention that Democrat flip Ocasio-Cortez in USA) where everybody gets a rebate and nobody pays!!

Why be so negative. Honestly this screams of jealousy. Also 300 try 13000

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would refer to the post above your Chevy (I fail to see any negatives there) and yes BGP are involved in horse ownership and involved with various syndicates. 

I gather you won't say no if you have a runner that wins when they have boosted the stake. :rolleyes:

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, nick said:

Why be so negative. Honestly this screams of jealousy. Also 300 try 13000

That's the easy catch cry you tosser.Unlike many true racing supporters I deem myself very lucky with my past successes and carry no baggage. No jealousy, no negativity. Why should a group of "Johnny come latelies" demand a rebate when they have found a party where everybody should be on an equal footing. How about a rebate for the thousands who have been "putting in" for 50 years, who have a true love of the racing game, to subsidise you "instant gratification" types who have moved on from Pokemon Go. Enjoy the racing game, but don't think you are more worthy than those who have sustained the game for decades, for better or for worse.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, chevy86 said:

That's the easy catch cry you tosser.Unlike many true racing supporters I deem myself very lucky with my past successes and carry no baggage. No jealousy, no negativity. Why should a group of "Johnny come latelies" demand a rebate when they have found a party where everybody should be on an equal footing. How about a rebate for the thousands who have been "putting in" for 50 years, who have a true love of the racing game, to subsidise you "instant gratification" types who have moved on from Pokemon Go. Enjoy the racing game, but don't think you are more worthy than those who have sustained the game for decades, for better or for worse.

And they wonder why racing is dying. Been young obviously makes you a tosser (thanks for calling me that) to the older generation like yourself 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, chevy86 said:

That's the easy catch cry you tosser.Unlike many true racing supporters I deem myself very lucky with my past successes and carry no baggage. No jealousy, no negativity. Why should a group of "Johnny come latelies" demand a rebate when they have found a party where everybody should be on an equal footing. How about a rebate for the thousands who have been "putting in" for 50 years, who have a true love of the racing game, to subsidise you "instant gratification" types who have moved on from Pokemon Go. Enjoy the racing game, but don't think you are more worthy than those who have sustained the game for decades, for better or for worse.

No one has demanded anything.

Any rebate would be at the discretion of any club once they have weighed the commercial considerations.

Any private outfit is absolutely within their rights to ask or open a dialogue about commercial deals with race clubs.

If owners want a better deal maybe they should organize themselves and demand it.

What the f*** does a 'true racing supporter' mean!

 

For someone who bemoans the left wing of politics you sure like to throw around alot of anti free market group think.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think a lot of you people have rocks in your head. You have an industry struggling to maintain relevance and attract younger participants then when you are given exposure to 13000 of the next generation all you can do is moan about the deal they are trying to negotiate  I would also note that they want the deal to pump money back into the industry and keep attracting new  participation which is much needed  

Buying power normally gets you a better deal and I don’t see this as being any different  

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, rdytdy said:

 

What is being created at present from my understanding is a BGP Foundation whereby funds are going to be built up to help clubs  as well as other sectors of the industry along the lines of increasing stakes on races, sponsoring young people into cadet schemes and other initiatives to help the industry. So any money raised is being ploughed back in to help racing. 

Therefore if any club did a rebate somehow (as occurs with various betting agencies if they bet with them) and the rebate money is used to further help clubs etc 

Clubs are still winning by turnover on course and then later with sponsorship in stakes funding.

Surely everyone wins.

 

 

  

 

 

So they are becoming a kind of Pseudo NZTR?? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Razy as said:

No, they volunteer mate.

 

The boys that do this have been on committees, are owners and have worked at racecourses. Why do you want to drag something down you no nothing about?

oh thats right its the New Zealand racing way, if its different bag it.

they turned over $200k plus in their room alone, more than most courses do in a day, making the club 15k plus from their room alone

They could of done it through phones or overseas agencies, prob getting better options and prices!

Just let them be, if they make some money helping the industry and have started a foundation, let them.

maybe do some research before bagging them on a site full of people that love to moan. 

Isn’t this a good thing? Bringing people, fun, money, new owners, new youth to a game thats deteriorating weekly?

Surely it can't be long before those that are putting $$ into these syndicates realise they can find their own $2 shots from about 5 stables around NZ from which they can punt on, it isn't that hard(thats what she said).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, tonkatime said:

I think a lot of you people have rocks in your head. You have an industry struggling to maintain relevance and attract younger participants then when you are given exposure to 13000 of the next generation all you can do is moan about the deal they are trying to negotiate  I would also note that they want the deal to pump money back into the industry and keep attracting new  participation which is much needed  

Buying power normally gets you a better deal and I don’t see this as being any different  

 

I think we need to hear what the BGP lads really want all the statement says is a better % is it just on Million dollar night or every meeting they attend? Threatening to bet offshore would make a mockery of winning the media award  wouldn’t you say?Also theres 13,000 members and a good majority are already racing people so lets not twist the figures.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What came first, the chicken or the egg?

Racing & punting on racing has this unique relationship where they are  reliant on one another. You need horses to punt on, which feeds stake money for owners that breed horses so punters can punt on them. Not quite symbiotic , they sort of run parallel with one another. 

I think any initiative that increases turnover has to be positive for racing for the above reasoning.

Just my 10c worth.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here's the post from Facebook for those who haven't read/seen it:

 

Even with two chances in the race, unfortunately we still came up short in the Taranaki Summer Challenge at New Plymouth last weekend.

Regardless, it was good to see the BGP silks on the racetrack for what was a great concept put together by Taranaki Racing.

It’s ideas like this that the sport needs to get people involved and excited. We had 90 people in the two slots and everyone felt like they were part of racing a horse for the day.

Admittedly I am very reluctant to push horse ownership to our audience because I know the stats, the costs and the lack of returns, so I don’t want to sour what would be a number of these guys’ first experience with the taste of the true cost of racing a horse. Hopefully as the powers that be address this situation, I’m sure we can get more people involved in racing.

Before I left New Plymouth, CEO Carey Hobbs made a comment to me which I really admire. He said that the club was always open to feedback and if we had ideas about how we think the club could improve, to please send them through, they would be welcomed.

This is the sort of attitude that we need across the board. If we can be open to conversation and opinion as potential for improvement rather than taking it as criticism or a requirement to defend our decisions, then I am sure we will see more progress in the game.

What’s next for us? We have a big portion of our Karaka Million Punters’ Club looking to stay in for a longer term syndicate, so it’s time to finalise some rules and get that underway. We will look to spend a set amount each week and invite clubs to have that bet on-course in return for a percentage of the turnover.

I also had a catch up with the team from Awapuni before heading back to Auckland and a few of the Palmy boys are going to take the reins on a Sires’ Produce Stakes day event. It’s exciting to think we’ll be involved in an initiative back where it all began for Boys Get Paid.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I must admit, the idea of a rebate being paid to the BGP boys from the clubs commision seems a bit over the top to me.Who does it get paid to the organisers? I presume the actual members of the syndicate get nothing. On the other side they were responsible for a large increase in turnover

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, puha said:
8 hours ago, tonkatime said:

I think a lot of you people have rocks in your head. You have an industry struggling to maintain relevance and attract younger participants then when you are given exposure to 13000 of the next generation all you can do is moan about the deal they are trying to negotiate  I would also note that they want the deal to pump money back into the industry and keep attracting new  participation which is much needed  

Buying power normally gets you a better deal and I don’t see this as being any different  

 

I think we need to hear what the BGP lads really want all the statement says is a better % is it just on Million dollar night or every meeting they attend? Threatening to bet offshore would make a mockery of winning the media award  wouldn’t you say?Also theres 13,000 members and a good majority are already racing people so lets not twist the figures.

Haha you say let’s not twist then do exactly that. You are right some will be racing people already but there are plenty who are not. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Huey said:

Surely it can't be long before those that are putting $$ into these syndicates realise they can find their own $2 shots from about 5 stables around NZ from which they can punt on, it isn't that hard(thats what she said).

Or they could go invest in sports betting like most people including the TAB know is where all the money is going. Why not just be happy that more people will have an interest in NZ racing?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, nick said:

Or they could go invest in sports betting like most people including the TAB know is where all the money is going. Why not just be happy that more people will have an interest in NZ racing?

Is there more $$ or is it just cannibalised from individuals having a go? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, CosmicBlackie said:

What came first, the chicken or the egg?

Racing & punting on racing has this unique relationship where they are  reliant on one another. You need horses to punt on, which feeds stake money for owners that breed horses so punters can punt on them. Not quite symbiotic , they sort of run parallel with one another. 

I think any initiative that increases turnover has to be positive for racing for the above reasoning.

Just my 10c worth.

Good analogy the owner or the punter, both deserve something out of the game, though the problem is in NZ the owner is so poorly looked after(read the post from BGP FB to get some insight into this) that its hard to make an argument for the punter to get more, whats next a BGP Countdown type card with special offers,deals and discounts I wonder ... wasn't that something NZTR were looking into at some point but never got past ...well NZTR were looking into you get my drift.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, nick said:

Or they could go invest in sports betting like most people including the TAB know is where all the money is going. Why not just be happy that more people will have an interest in NZ racing?

Everyone is happy that more people will have an interest in racing in NZ but shouldn't be at the expense of others especially those who have toiled in this game for years.  Read the BGP FB post for some understanding about the staying power the organiser thinks the BGP crowd have for some insight, staying power that many in this industry have displayed spades of for years racing horses and punting.

As Tyler Durden said "You are not special. just because you are under 40 ,punting and going to the races."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Stables said:

I must admit, the idea of a rebate being paid to the BGP boys from the clubs commision seems a bit over the top to me.Who does it get paid to the organisers? I presume the actual members of the syndicate get nothing. On the other side they were responsible for a large increase in turnover

It wouldn’t be out of line the clubs charge for the facility for the BGP .      I’m presuming clubs willingly give facilities for the BGP patrons in return for their turnover patronage.      

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Huey said:

Good analogy the owner or the punter, both deserve something out of the game, though the problem is in NZ the owner is so poorly looked after(read the post from BGP FB to get some insight into this) that its hard to make an argument for the punter to get more, whats next a BGP Countdown type card with special offers,deals and discounts I wonder ... wasn't that something NZTR were looking into at some point but never got past ...well NZTR were looking into you get my drift.

I think this is already happening in part with NZRB's Elite Customer programme where if you gamble so much per month, you're entitled(there's that word) to a rebate, corporate golf days etc. I know the TAB were looking at a card system for their higher valued customers that they could use in any channel i.e internet,retail,self service and, why not? The customer is showing some loyalty spending his hard earned. I don't think the Supermarket industry wouldn't be doing this without a reason, giving them the ability to track what you like and don't like and what you spend your'e money on, although they do have greater scale.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Although I hate to use the analogy of a "sunset industry",(they certainly have the people in place to manage it, coming from NZ Post :rcf-happy-5:) because I'm sure as there are horses being bred to race, punters will want to  have a bet on who is the fastest. I think we need to accept that the world is constantly evolving and we(racing) have to do things differently to even have a hope of keeping our heads above water. Doing the same old, same old will produce the same result. Why shouldn't we try and attract new blood into the game with people who are showing an interest? I'd bet a casino would welcome any group spending that sort of money with all types of incentives. Hard to get.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, tim vince said:

In hk u get10percent  rebate every losing bet 10k and over.1800 kiwi approx.g

They were betting huge Ellerslie why not the same.it gets pumped back..

The 10% rebate on large bets works well in Hong Kong.

This would be an easily implemented strategy by the NZ TAB to acknowledge the punter and would encourage increased betting turnover.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

C’mon guys, open your minds and get rid of the petty stuff.

Use my restaurant as an example, if a big corporate with 1000’s of staff, say Vodafone, approached me and said “well guarantee to spend $xxxxx at your joint, when you’re not normally busy, but we want 10% discount”

Of course I’d take it, most of my expenses are fixed, for example rent, insurance and electricity, and I have staff rostered on whether we’re busy or quiet  .... so the additional Vodafone revenue is highly profitable 

The exact same applies here, at the club level and NZRB level, and BGP are 100% entitled to get rebates / discounts, in fact they’d be negligent managers if they didn’t demand them.

Stop being petty and miserable old fuckers, open your minds up and think laterally for a change 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now