RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
Stables

Purdon buys Aussie horses

I see now that Purdon has taken all the cream from New Zealand Harness Racing he is now spending his profits on buying Aussie bred yearlings. So he's not only ruining the racing side of things, he's now going to have a go at ruining the breeders, who are already struggling to keep their heads above water, by not buying New Zealand bred horses. Well done that man

1 hour ago, Stables said:

I see now that Purdon has taken all the cream from New Zealand Harness Racing he is now spending his profits on buying Aussie bred yearlings. So he's not only ruining the racing side of things, he's now going to have a go at ruining the breeders, who are already struggling to keep their heads above water, by not buying New Zealand bred horses. Well done that man

Where have you been - he has been buying at the Aussie sales for many years now

Stables 

You really have got a chip on your shoulder. You seem to think there is something wrong with being successful, why shouldn’t the Allstars purchase yearlings (cheap ones too ) to keep their operation ahead of the game .?? They have   got staff to pay ,probably a lot of money tied up in the  property and they need to keep the ledger square . Think of the stress they have on a daily basis running the big operation and juggling the horses  they have . They are away from home for long periods and evidently work very very hard . You’ve probably have never had a business so wouldn’t understand the pressures of running  one or if you have it can’t have worked out very well which probably explains your ligh level of jealousy towards the very professional, successful machine that is the All Stars . Its human nature to strive to be the best. Why should they pull back just to let the lesser lights catch up.  As far as your comment about his lack of loyalty ,nobody has put more money into breeders pockets and industry participants than his operation over the last 20 years . Stables add up what you have contributed over that period. . Somehow I think it would be pretty insignificant in comparison 

I am well aware of the effort Purdon puts in, I don't believe however that it's greater than many other trainers in New Zealand. Why is it that people assume that I am some poor loser who is envious of a succesful person. You attack me and what you think I must be. None of you are prepared to look at the state of harness racing and the breeding industry in New Zealand. You all glibly march on with your heads in the air without knowing where you are heading. As I've said before Mark Purdon will be turning the lights off as he's the last man leaving the building. The industry is at a critical point, turnovers are dropping dramatically. Public opinion of racing has reached its lowest ebb. The thoroughbred code have reqognised that there is a real problem and have started to address it. What have the leaders of harness racing done. As yet I have seen no announcements. Whats going to happen when galloping abandons some tracks as is their plan. Will we be left holding the can, no comment by our so called leaders. The whole structure of racing needs to change. There needs to be reqognition of the contribution that stakeholders have in the industry. The management of harness racing has been based on a club structure. This pyramid of committee upon commitee has failed dismally and needs to be replaced urgently. Nothing will change with our current structure. I regard the domination of the industry by one person as a monopoly, and no business can continue to be viable with domination by a monopoly. That is why I contend that changes have to be made in order to reduce Purdons dominance. That is my view and I can assure you that I am not alone in thinking that change has to be made

13 hours ago, Stables said:

I am well aware of the effort Purdon puts in, I don't believe however that it's greater than many other trainers in New Zealand. Why is it that people assume that I am some poor loser who is envious of a succesful person. You attack me and what you think I must be. None of you are prepared to look at the state of harness racing and the breeding industry in New Zealand. You all glibly march on with your heads in the air without knowing where you are heading. As I've said before Mark Purdon will be turning the lights off as he's the last man leaving the building. The industry is at a critical point, turnovers are dropping dramatically. Public opinion of racing has reached its lowest ebb. The thoroughbred code have reqognised that there is a real problem and have started to address it. What have the leaders of harness racing done. As yet I have seen no announcements. Whats going to happen when galloping abandons some tracks as is their plan. Will we be left holding the can, no comment by our so called leaders. The whole structure of racing needs to change. There needs to be reqognition of the contribution that stakeholders have in the industry. The management of harness racing has been based on a club structure. This pyramid of committee upon commitee has failed dismally and needs to be replaced urgently. Nothing will change with our current structure. I regard the domination of the industry by one person as a monopoly, and no business can continue to be viable with domination by a monopoly. That is why I contend that changes have to be made in order to reduce Purdons dominance. That is my view and I can assure you that I am not alone in thinking that change has to be made

Excellent  summation of the industry and a full agree.

Tiger woods dominated once.the opposition got better trained harder trained smarter and caught up.its not down to mark itsdown to other trainers to lift their game.look how Ireland have caught up to the all blacks.the all blacks aren't worse the opposition have got better..

56 minutes ago, tim vince said:

Tiger woods dominated once.the opposition got better trained harder trained smarter and caught up.its not down to mark itsdown to other trainers to lift their game.look how Ireland have caught up to the all blacks.the all blacks aren't worse the opposition have got better..

I disagree - he buys or has available about 50-60 plus yearlings a year to get down to the top 15 odd .

The others start with 5-10  and are lucky to get 1 or 2 able to try and get enough points to run in the jewels .

It is a monopoly in avaliable funds versus the opposition and the others cannot compete .

A V8 v’s a mini and the mini can never win and it doesn’t matter how good the driver is !

A monopoly has been created by available spending power from owners who have created a monster .

Wow some of you guys are unreal...because he is the best and the rest cant find a way to beat him you want him cut off at the knees so others can catch up...name a sport where that happens...good on him for building the machine he has and why should he not get every bit of success...he is THE best and others should learn from him rather than trying to pull him down all the time...just my opinion.

Interesting Stables. So what do you suggest? How do you recommend "they" make this happen? 

Half the prize money if an AS horse wins? Have races they can't enter? Have their horses start 100 metres behind the Rest? Ban him from the Yearling sales in both countries for 5 years? 

Yeh ban the AB's, anything anyone who is successful......but you know what Mark and The Mighty AllStars couldn't give a rats patootie, cos guess what he's doin right now? he's hard at work, busy readyin his team for the races tonight, and so is Nat.....and Stables to answer your question, no one in here assumed anything bout you! you by your own posts have shown everyone your a 'poor loser and an envious person just re-read your own posts, come on!

Cheers Iraklis

The ironic thing is a lot of Mark Purdon’s top horses aren’t the top priced ones and the other top tier trainers could have bought them but they didn’t see what Mark Purdon can  . He’s better than the rest.  He’s not usually in the bar at.the sales because he’s too busy doing his job professionally. It must be frustrating for the other trainers but how frustrating it must be for their owners often paying 6 figures at the sales for what turn out to be just nice horses  on their trainers recommendation Heisenberg is an example  , he’s a good 3 year old and cost more than most of the horses beating him currently . It happens time and time again . Why penalise someone for being better than the rest ?? Stables do you think they should make the All Stars horses race with flat tyres ?? Would that help ??

The problem arose long before Mark Purdon was the force he is today.

He's simply the one who's taken a flawed industry model and made the most of it.

The problem started in the 80's when the powers that be decided to throw the big stakemoney at 2yo and 3yo racing, instead of across the board. The industry has been in a downward spiral ever since.

The problem is that the average person can no longer justify participating when the only real money to be made is in 2yo and 3yo racing, and barring fluking a superstar the average person is pretty much shut out of that market.

Until there's an epiphany at the top level to realise that poor stake distribution has killed the game, it will only get worse.

The industry leaders are driven by the big breeders interests, which are vastly different from the greater good of the game.

3 hours ago, scooby3051 said:

Wow some of you guys are unreal...because he is the best and the rest cant find a way to beat him you want him cut off at the knees so others can catch up...name a sport where that happens...good on him for building the machine he has and why should he not get every bit of success...he is THE best and others should learn from him rather than trying to pull him down all the time...just my opinion.

Scooby, harness racing isn't a sport, it's an industry and I can show you where plenty of industries that have been forced to split up because they have become monolopies. It's because so many administrators think of harness racing as a sport that we are where we are today. We need harness racing to be runas an industry with a totally different management system. Racing clubs and thei comittees have had their day and now we must change it's whole structure into a finely tuned business.

Sheldon the best way to limit Purdons success is to limit him to 2 nominations per group race 

17 hours ago, Stables said:

You and your 2 supporters are of course entitled to come on here and other sites and bag successful people. However can you try and stick to one issue at a time, mid way through your latest sermon you bag HRNZ officialdom as well in the same thread. Congrats thats some feat even by your standards.

8 minutes ago, Stables said:

Scooby, harness racing isn't a sport, it's an industry and I can show you where plenty of industries that have been forced to split up because they have become monolopies. It's because so many administrators think of harness racing as a sport that we are where we are today. We need harness racing to be runas an industry with a totally different management system. Racing clubs and thei comittees have had their day and now we must change it's whole structure into a finely tuned business.

Sheldon the best way to limit Purdons success is to limit him to 2 nominations per group race 

Its an amateur industry with a few professionals.

As for your solution you should turn to comedy as a profession. Please tell us all you were joking with the 2 noms bit.

And I'd guess being a big breeder isn't exactly an easy or cheap occupation.

A number of small breeders seem to do pretty well ,yet obviously take a lot of setbacks along the way.

Over past 20 years several others have had their runs of dominance.

e.g. the Monkey King era  with stable back up, Tim Butt ....with import Flashing Red and others including importing European trotters after a fabulous run himself with Lyall Creek etc , Geoff Small !

Oh I remember how everyone on here loved Geoff when he served it up to the AllStars. Even battler Alan Clark was vilified on here when he took his cheap young trotter from the womb and tried to serve up some excitement.

Seems anyone who has some success is ripped apart on here !

Even Rogie had a crack......he's reinvigorated and picks up 3 x wins in 2 nights !

Are the rest just sleeping or trying to trade for an easy buck.

I think the reason for decline in Harness participation is due to a number of factors ,and its no easy fix.

If nothing else it's got you complacent inward looking bastards to get off your bums and actually engage the  small part of your brain thats left to think of something to say to support your rotting, redundant status quo

Just now, Stables said:

If nothing else it's got you complacent inward looking bastards to get off your bums and actually engage the  small part of your brain thats left to think of something to say to support your rotting, redundant status quo

If you want to start to get personal because you are losing your argument there are other places you can go...please just stick to the topic without the personal stuff  and we will all continue to get along...many thanks for that.

Great read and I think sums up the situation discussed here.

Roughly the story is about Douglas Whyte and what happened when he arrived in Hong Kong and  his workload and ethics and then dominated the racing scene.

Others had to lift their game or get out

https://www.tdnausnz.com.au/edition/2019-02-07/from-fierce-rivalries-to-respect-for-douglas-whyte