RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
Chris Wood

Tauranga yesterday

On a Wednesday in the Bay of Plenty, a public holiday to boot, what would your entertainment options be?

A bit of shopping at Bayfair, a nice day to lie on the Beach, or in a lot of people’s cases, a great day to attend the Tauranga races.

The crowds flocked to the course, free admission, great idea.

Lets showcase a 7 race card, short and sharp and look after those who turn up.

These are days people can have a good Raceday experience and return one day for a second look.

The que to purchase a racebook from the raceday office was  horrendous, up to 50 metres long!

Eftpos cues in the same area were similar for a long period early in the day.

Racebooks ran out, owners given a sheet of A4 paper with the horses name on.

Beers and soft drinks at several outlets on the course were warm, 28c and this happens?

Insufficient totalisator staff on in most areas resulting in copious amounts of people being shut out, people I knew left the course because they couldn’t get a bet on.

How could they possibly get it so wrong?

Tauranga is one of my favourite courses, but this performance by them was dismal! 

The big day at TeRapa this Saturday will be a good test for this venue to, as their last 18 months catering for big crowds hasn’t been up to scratch either, let’s hope there isn’t two catastrophes in a week!

Chris,

There is enough material there for a conference.

Some of the $50M recently spent should have been devoted to simplifying oncourse betting.

1. There is no need for oncourse operators or terminals. (Hasn't been a need for more than 10 years.)

2. I don't believe oncourse socializers really want to squint over their phones placing bets or as first time racegoers figuring out the TAB website.

Therefore simplest system.

1. Place money into a temporary account on arrival.

2. Put bets on racebook where barcodes, race id's etc exist.

3. Scan bets. (low cost dedicated scanners placed around the course)

4. Immediately receive the bets  on mobile. several ways e,g, text message, or simple app.

5 .  OK the bets and press send.

6. Exit racecourse collecting balance in cash/voucher or direct debit.

N.B. Accounts/racebooks/phones/locations are all linked. i.e. Full proof system.

I do agree, but where was the wisdom when they cut out phone betting and adjusting the minimum spend, love to know how much that has cost the industry. Not all people are computer literate/ Savy.

I know it’s the older people in most cases, but why deprive them of their interest in the industry.

4 hours ago, puha said:

The standards have been pretty good at Tauranga till recently. Wonder whats happened maybe they’ve lost some key staff at the joint? 

Clubs just don't like racing on public holidays with all of the costs involved. Riccarton used to race on Waitangi Day from memory. Lots of clubs have moved off those days. Those that remain try to keep costs to a minimum.

Te Aroha was one of the first clubs to seize Waitangi Day for the races.  When Waitangi Day is on a Wednesday it is marvellous.  Other days of the week not so much.  It is a pity that Tauranga had not heard of Te Aroha's largesse when it is a Wednesday.  When it is any other day of the week people take a long weekend; the Wednesdays are special.  I think it would be beyond the level of interest of the Tauranga people to ask the Te Aroha people about their experience.  I think it will be another eleven years before we get another Wednesday Waitangi Day. 

Glenda Hughes apparently opened an account when she first started at the TAB - she is commonly thought of as an expert "spin" artist.

Her betting history would make for some hilarious comments here on RC.

Deposited $50 10/4/16

Balance $45 7/4/19

8 hours ago, Diver Dan said:

Glenda Hughes apparently opened an account when she first started at the TAB - she is commonly thought of as an expert "spin" artist.

Her betting history would make for some hilarious comments here on RC.

Deposited $50 10/4/16

Balance $45 7/4/19

I would actually be quite happy if that was the net result of my betting over three years; or even three months.

10 hours ago, Tauhei Notts said:

Te Aroha was one of the first clubs to seize Waitangi Day for the races.  When Waitangi Day is on a Wednesday it is marvellous.  Other days of the week not so much.  It is a pity that Tauranga had not heard of Te Aroha's largesse when it is a Wednesday.  When it is any other day of the week people take a long weekend; the Wednesdays are special.  I think it would be beyond the level of interest of the Tauranga people to ask the Te Aroha people about their experience.  I think it will be another eleven years before we get another Wednesday Waitangi Day. 

Another 7 years for the next Waitangi Wednesday..Tauhei

Chris Wood - there was always (100 years or so) harness racing at Tauranga over Auckland Anniversary Weekend.     Two days originally.     Now the local TB club don't want the harness code to use the course - buggered if I know why.     Their "decision" has done nobody any good and also deprived the TB club income from the hire of their facility.    Seems to be a decision that can only be described as "dumb".

Hedley, Waitangi Day is Wed 2019, Thur 2020, Sat 2021, Sun 2022, Mon 2023, Tues 2024, Thurs 2025, Fri 2026, Sat 2027, Sun 2028, Tues 2029 and Wed 2030.

Note how it moves one day per year, but the effect of February 29th kicks in, in 2021, 2025 and 2029.