poundforpound

Weir waves the white flag

99 posts in this topic

I feel for the staff in these sorts of sorry sagas. If he had nothing to hide (well part from the jiggers that is) then he should have fought it but the fact that he didn't (and he'd have the money to fight it) suggests to me that this is, given his long history of infringements, a type of plea bargain to minimise his sentence and keep him able to return to the game. Anyone that would use a jigger on a horse (and I know this is possession but that raises the question why would you possess it without intent to use it?) should be out for life. No questions asked and his/her feet shouldn't touch the ground on the way out the door. Cheating is cheating and racing doesn't need any more mud on its face via that particular method of winning races whether it be race fixing or pulling up horses in head-to-head bets like David Walker did. He should have got life too in my humble opinion just like those hurdle jockeys jacking up races back in the 50s.  Send a clear message to anyone who does this sort of stuff and have the penalties to make it so they never darken racing's doorstep again. This is not tiddlywinks, it's people's livelihoods and the playing field should be as even as possible.  Strong deterrents give you the best chance of keeping the greedies out of robbing the punters, owners and trainers blind. If the charges are proven and/or they plead guilty or no contest then the authorities are honour bound to protect us honest industry participants from these short-cut takers by maximising the penalties for such serious offences.

Four jiggers and he gets four years. A battery and two jiggers and this jockey got 10 years and that was in 2007.

https://www.racingandsports.com.au/en/racing/10-year-ban-for-jigger-jockey-story-104890

It’s a bit rich for Lee Freedman to be casting stones at Weir. Freedman was disqualified for 6 months for doping I’m sure (EPO?).  Weir was given 4 years for having Jiggers in his bedroom!! What a wanker (Freedman) is. 

6 hours ago, Trump said:

It’s a bit rich for Lee Freedman to be casting stones at Weir. Freedman was disqualified for 6 months for doping I’m sure (EPO?).  Weir was given 4 years for having Jiggers in his bedroom!! What a wanker (Freedman) is. 

They are all wankers Trump, collectively known as Australians.

46 minutes ago, Leggy said:

They didn't say there isn't video, just that they are not in possession of any. I'm also not saying there is.

I thought you were a bit brighter than that Leggy. Clearly the so called video was a police ploy to bluff Weir into admitting usage. Do you really think the stewards would have not requested a video if there was one.

When the mob hysteria settles down this will go down as one of the most shameful administration of justice anywhere.

I don't blame Weir for not answering questions. Photo's of him show him in a state of shock and bewilderment. The speed required by the business in keeping the high profile horses more important than preparing an immediate defence. The actual dollar loss to him must be huge perhaps $50 million but who knows. And for what??? .. 3 cattle prodders under his bed. Thats what they are. Packaged,sold and used as.

Every thing about this case was never done by the book. The police bluff with a fake video immediately turned the public against Weir and once that happened nothing could stop the runaway train.

3 minutes ago, slam dunk said:

I thought you were a bit brighter than that Leggy. Clearly the so called video was a police ploy to bluff Weir into admitting usage. Do you really think the stewards would have not requested a video if there was one.

When the mob hysteria settles down this will go down as one of the most shameful administration of justice anywhere.

I don't blame Weir for not answering questions. Photo's of him show him in a state of shock and bewilderment. The speed required by the business in keeping the high profile horses more important than preparing an immediate defence. The actual dollar loss to him must be huge perhaps $50 million but who knows. And for what??? .. 3 cattle prodders under his bed. Thats what they are. Packaged,sold and used as.

Every thing about this case was never done by the book. The police bluff with a fake video immediately turned the public against Weir and once that happened nothing could stop the runaway train.

Would be interesting to know who "dobbed him in".....no coincidence all this happened while Weir was over here at the sales.

39 minutes ago, slam dunk said:

Has it been released they were under his bed  ? , how many cattle does he have on premises , I thought it was a racing yard ? Was a shit shovel and numerous other farm tools under his bed with those  because normally tools of trade kept in a barn or was it only the cattle prods , jiggers or buzzers  under the bed  kept separate from other tools . Tools of trade under bed , errrrm ok .

59 minutes ago, Red Rum said:

Has it been released they were under his bed  ? , how many cattle does he have on premises , I thought it was a racing yard ? Was a shit shovel and numerous other farm tools under his bed with those  because normally tools of trade kept in a barn or was it only the cattle prods , jiggers or buzzers  under the bed  kept separate from other tools . Tools of trade under bed , errrrm ok .

Just in the bedroom RR. The logical conclusion from that was they expected the stables to be looked at but not the house. That the cops knew where to look sort of indicates the informant was someone from inside the organisation.

UK Racing in a bit of turmoil RR. Equine Flu shut down racing up North...not good if that spreads.

Did you see the great Annie Power had a foal to Galileo in the last few days. What a jumper she was.

1 hour ago, Red Rum said:

Any mention of how many jockeys were found under the bed?

Lets back track one week and see how the public were presented with the "facts" Could anyone blame them for becoming hysterical

Footage of horses getting electric shocks could be crucial in case against trainer Darren Weir

02:06 / 02:06

•  
  • Pized horse trainer Darren Weir is one of three men arrested over the suspected use of electric shock devices on racehorses.

Damning footage of racehorses being shocked with electrical devices is expected to form part of a police case against Melbourne Cup-winning trainer Darren Weir.

The 48-year-old was one of three people arrested during Wednesday raids on properties - including stables - at Ballarat and Warrnambool, where police seized four Taser-like devices, known as "jiggers" in the racing industry.

1 hour ago, Ohokaman said:

Just in the bedroom RR. The logical conclusion from that was they expected the stables to be looked at but not the house. That the cops knew where to look sort of indicates the informant was someone from inside the organisation.

UK Racing in a bit of turmoil RR. Equine Flu shut down racing up North...not good if that spreads.

Did you see the great Annie Power had a foal to Galileo in the last few days. What a jumper she was.

I think you have it in that first paragraph OM. No end to hiding places with a little thought so yes looks very much Intel driven. I just don't see Weir as a victim in this , however credit to  him he took early plea and if it is possession only , maybe there is a way back for a guy that shows remorse .Police investigation will run its course now , dare say computers will be forensic  screened etc. Always going to be lolly scramble for horses and other trainers giving him a kick on way down as its so ultra competitive there, make him look bad and their horses placed behind his look better I suppose.

As for EI , could bugger racing up there for while , Mid next week will be critical. They will put on some extra races to try get festival horses on track if racing returns next week, they have put on whole extra meetings in past for bad weather cancellations.Hope Cheltenham doesn't go as Champion Hurdle looks a gem, Apples Jade v Buveur D'Air . Apples Jade a great race mare worth a you tube , Champion Hurdle different to Leopardstown  February though.Seen many Irish horses run up sequence and be undone there , mind you lot of pom horses too.Her record is immense though. 

Sadlers Wells sired Istabraaq and a Cheltenham Gold Cup winner in Synchronised and Galileo has Supasundae so Annie Powers foal got breeding for it.5 years and we will have an idea.

Capezano the standout at Meydan for me so far . Could go through grades and be in decent race on Super Saturday then World Cup night.

5 hours ago, slam dunk said:

Clearly the so called video was a police ploy to bluff Weir into admitting usage. Do you really think the stewards would have not requested a video if there was one.

An excellent summary. This is how the police operate, lying through their teeth to get an admission of guilt - ie: if you (defendant) admit to something, we (police) will get you a reduced charge/sentence - bullshit, the police are only interested in convictions at all cost.

As another poster has alluded to, someone or a group of people have obviously had an axe to grind with Weir and have blown the gaff on him over something they've heard or seen.

Weir hasn't got to where he is today through luck and a bull proddder, he's got there through hard work and good horse management but his career is already wrecked and I can't believe why he and his lawyer have surrendered on this indictment without a fight.

I cant believe some on here defending the use of a jigger on horses...he was caught doing it they HAVE A PHOTO...so they either have taken this from a video or they had someone taking pics... he may have been a hard worker but win at all costs seems to be his motto..no thought for the well being of the horses or the consequences of his actions on all his staff......i for one think he got off light if that's all he gets...JMO.

1 hour ago, scooby3051 said:

I cant believe some on here defending the use of a jigger on horses...he was caught doing it they HAVE A PHOTO...so they either have taken this from a video or they had someone taking pics... he may have been a hard worker but win at all costs seems to be his motto..no thought for the well being of the horses or the consequences of his actions on all his staff......i for one think he got off light if that's all he gets...JMO.

Take it up with the Victoria Integrety unit.

Feb 5 The Age newspaper.

"Racing Victoria’s general manager of integrity Jamie Stier said that neither he nor Racing Victoria stewards had yet seen any video or still shots of "jigging" offences being committed at Weir’s stables"

They also reiterated that at the hearing

14 minutes ago, Insider said:

I wonder who is right in this instance? I wonder if one of the stories is fake news? It is starting to look like that. :rcf-sad-4:

Of course it's a beat up...hence the opening media statements designed to create a scenario of major proportions.....we've found weapons (it was Weir's father's old air rifle used for pest control, and it was securely locked up, but weapons/firearms sounds better and justifies the dawn raid by the federal police ) plus we found cocaine (in the pocket of one of Weir's 150 employees, and it was only a fucking smidgen but let's make it sound dramatic and involve Pablo Escobar )

All this because a disenchanted employee decided to dob Weir in, presumably because he was disgruntled over some matter......Police hysteria fuelling the media frenzy who in turn feed the bitter internutters.......

Not saying it's ok to have jiggers but this is a bit OTT unless there's a lot more to come from the Police, and that seems unlikely at this juncture 

3 hours ago, billy connolly said:

An excellent summary. This is how the police operate, lying through their teeth to get an admission of guilt - ie: if you (defendant) admit to something, we (police) will get you a reduced charge/sentence - bullshit, the police are only interested in convictions at all cost.

As another poster has alluded to, someone or a group of people have obviously had an axe to grind with Weir and have blown the gaff on him over something they've heard or seen.

Weir hasn't got to where he is today through luck and a bull proddder, he's got there through hard work and good horse management but his career is already wrecked and I can't believe why he and his lawyer have surrendered on this indictment without a fight.

Loving the sweeping statement in paragraph one , I am sure the young officers brave enough to walk the walk , putting on the uniform tonight for a night shift  heading out on patrol dealing with the shit they have to and keeping the public safe to best of their ability risking injury or worse appreciate your support , and their loved ones sending them off to work  be it wives, husbands and parents ( yes cops are someone's kids you know , they have parents who worry about their safety too ) , also appreciate it .Good stuff fella.

4 minutes ago, Red Rum said:

Loving the sweeping statement in paragraph one , I am sure the young officers brave enough to walk the walk , putting on the uniform tonight for a night shift  heading out on patrol dealing with the shit they have to and keeping the public safe to best of their ability risking injury or worse appreciate your support , and their loved ones sending them off to work  be it wives, husbands and parents ( yes cops are someone's kids you know , they have parents who worry about their safety too ) , also appreciate it .Good stuff fella.

Pity they didn’t use their resources as you’ve described it in your opening sentence......except they didn’t......they sent dozens of cops to a dawn raid, with the “press” in tow....to find SFA.......”.sledgehammer cracks peanut “ should’ve been the headline 

11 minutes ago, poundforpound said:

Pity they didn’t use their resources as you’ve described it in your opening sentence......except they didn’t......they sent dozens of cops to a dawn raid, with the “press” in tow....to find SFA.......”.sledgehammer cracks peanut “ should’ve been the headline 

We are not in possession of their information from which they allocated resources and put action plan together  , and nor should we be . It's not a exact science , life and police work is not as simple  as that,  if not loads more people would play Kojak. There may  be certain parts of the case the Feds cannot share with Racing Vic , legally some things can only be shared with certain agencies if any , or for tactical reasons so it needs to play out , people are  slagging the police off and it isn't over yet. There are many factors at play in this .

You may be right ,if  the whole Op yields three cattle prods ,a deal bag and a pea shooter  for Fed  police efforts  they may view it as a poor result  I agree ,   however it is ongoing , I'd reserve judgement on it merits , like I would also reserve judgement on Weir bar possession only  that he copped to  until   the case has run its course . Some on here would have police hung drawn and quartered already  , if this was Melbourne Cup the field are  passing post on first circuit.