poundforpound

Weir waves the white flag

99 posts in this topic

I hear on Sky news that he won't contest the charges and that the Stewards are seeking a 4 year ban. Really!! Smeardon got life (under appeal) so why is this guy being maybe given such a lenient  sentance given the severity of the charges? He is an out and out cheat who has no doubt made a lot of money out of the industry. Will there be a monetary penalty or should there be? Personally I think he should be banned for life and fined a substantial amount.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Tend to agree 4 years seems very light.based on what others got and how much damage this has done to the industry...its not his first rodeo...does the industry really want or need people like this involved???Is it a good look???JMO. Dont know the bloke from Adam but this is a serious breach of the rules and hugely damaging to the image of the sport.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's a vague article with a few gaps and potential questions.   He has said yes to being in possession of them - they were found on his property so that was a no brainer.   We can speculate that he used them because they were found on the property but it doesn't actually say that.     Jarrod McLean is contesting it because I presume, even though they were found on the Weir property - it's not his property ?? - so perhaps he didn't know they were on the property and had no knowledge of it - which then lends itself to him having never used them or seen them being used ??    Their further investigations would have to include other current staff that have witnessed this happening, but that doesn't seem to have come to light to date which maybe is why it's just the 4 years currently for possession only and showing cause for an ongoing investigation ??   The four years may change in time of course ..   ie.  “In reaching these positions on the Show Cause Notices, the stewards note that investigations remain ongoing and that they reserve the right to act upon any new evidence that comes to hand during the course of those investigations.”

  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The system allows for mitigating circumstances, things like cooperation with the authorities, early guilty pleas.....that’s what these pre hearing meetings are about, Weirs lawyers negotiating with the stewards on the basis of “if we do this, plead that, admit to this.....what penalty will you seek ?”

Thats how the justice system works team, all over the world, even when you’re charged with capital murder or helping the Russians orchestrate an election for Donald Trump.

The converse is an example like Danny O’Brien and Co who took their cobalt cases right to the appeals court, and won 

Four years is a long time IMO and if he’s done a deal for that penalty sobeit..

As for the Police.....what have they actually got ? A small caliber rifle that was Weir’s fathers, a weapon that was used for pest control, one member of his 60 odd staff had a small amount of cocaine stashed somewhere...there’s no race fixing, no illegal importing of drugs, nothing ( yet ) ......and Weir has been interviewed by, then released, but hasn’t been charged by the federal or state Police with anything......egg on face anyone ?

Did anyone stop to think that this was just another disenchanted ex employee secretly videoing the stable goings on, then trying to ruin the life of a high profile trainer, but hurting 60 staff and hundreds of owners etc....in the process.....is that ok ?

Not saying I agree with any animal cruelty of course, and Weir has to pay for that, but let’s keep it in perspective, especially all of you who like your horses being hit, racing on unsafe tracks, and who bait up a rusty hook and go fishing every weekend.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You make some valid points ...i think it is more than just a disgruntled employee...it was a full blown investigation for a few months..anyway it will all come out in the wash so to speak...but he should have considered all the peoples lives he had in his hands before trying to circumvent  the rules of racing...JMO...i think there needs to be a level playing field for everyone involved in racing...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, MalcolmH said:

I hear on Sky news that he won't contest the charges and that the Stewards are seeking a 4 year ban. Really!! Smeardon got life (under appeal) so why is this guy being maybe given such a lenient  sentance given the severity of the charges? He is an out and out cheat who has no doubt made a lot of money out of the industry. Will there be a monetary penalty or should there be? Personally I think he should be banned for life and fined a substantial amount.

 

A repeat offender as well.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Far be it from me to comment on the main issue, but with all the talk speculation on the topic, is this the proof we have or been looking for, and others have been asked for, or another red herring from the media.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Some serious racehorses gone elsewhere.....it would be hard for anyone to recover from this...

Last start Sandown Guineas winner Ringerdingding is the latest high-profile horse to leave the Darren Weir stable.

Like Group II winner Nature Strip and last start Moonee Valley winner Yes Yes Yes, Ringerdingding will now be trained by Chris Waller.

Racenet has compiled a list below of where some horses formerly trained by Weir have been confirmed as moved.

Horse

Best recent win

New trainer

EXTRA BRUT

Gr 1 Victoria Derby

Ciaron Maher & David Eustace

RINGERDINGDING

Gr 2 Sandown Guineas

Chris Waller

AMPHITRITE

Gr 1 Thousand Guineas

Hayes & Dabernig

LAND OF PLENTY

Gr 1 Toorak Hcp

Ciaron Maher & David Eustace

BRAVE SMASH

Gr 1 Manikato Stakes

Kris Lees

NATURE STRIP

Gr 2 McEwen Stakes

Chris Waller

VOODOO LAD

Gr 1 Winterbottam Stakes, Ascot

Ciaron Maher & David Eustace

FIFTY STARS

Gr 3 Sandown Stakes,2018

Hayes & Dabernig

GALLIC CHIEFTAIN

Warrnambool Cup

Archie Alexander

CHAUFFEUR

Flemington Open Hcp, Jan 12

Hayes & Dabernig

YES YES YES

Moonee Valley 2YO, Dec 29

Chris Waller

DECLARES WAR

Flemington 3&4YO BM70, Dec 15

Matt Cumani

THERMAL CURRENT

Listed Century Stakes, Flemington, 2018

Mathew Ellerton & Simon Zahre

NIGHT’S WATCH

Gr 3 Naturalism Stakes, Caulfield, 2018

Ciaron Maher & David Eustace

THEANSWERMYFRIEND

Listed Penny Edition Stakes, Morphettville, 2018

Chris Waller

AGE OF FIRE

3rd Listed Lord Stakes, Caulfield, Dec 26

Ciaron Maher & David Eustace

HAWKSHOT

Sandown 3YO BM64

Hayes & Dabernig

HULK

2nd Moonee Valley 2yo only start

Chris Waller

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, poundforpound said:

or helping the Russians orchestrate an election for Donald Trump.

 

 

Seriously P4P? So Olga was sitting on his face when Stormy was not pulling his pud? The reality was that that duplicitous bitch Clinton was unelectable despite the media love-fest-.Not saying Trump is a desirable character but Hilary Clinton is obnoxious and dangerous in the extreme. JMO

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, chevy86 said:

Seriously P4P? So Olga was sitting on his face when Stormy was not pulling his pud? The reality was that that duplicitous bitch Clinton was unelectable despite the media love-fest-.Not saying Trump is a desirable character but Hilary Clinton is obnoxious and dangerous in the extreme. JMO

I used that as an example of plea bargaining, ask Michael Cohen, Roger Stone, Paul Manafort and various others.....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

hmm fine line between plea bargaining and scape goat ... when it comes to Trumpolitics :) but I believe his goat herd is diminishing, rapidly.

However...   we digress .. and off thread ...

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, poundforpound said:

The system allows for mitigating circumstances, things like cooperation with the authorities, early guilty pleas.....that’s what these pre hearing meetings are about, Weirs lawyers negotiating with the stewards on the basis of “if we do this, plead that, admit to this.....what penalty will you seek ?”

True and a guilty plea here provides considerable mitigation cf. the whole thing being dragged through a lengthy hearing with the media feasting on the gruesome details. It's a willingness to take his medicine without exacerbating the existing damage to the image of racing. At least that's what I'd be arguing if I were one of Weir's lawyers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Leggy said:

True and a guilty plea here provides considerable mitigation cf. the whole thing being dragged through a lengthy hearing with the media feasting on the gruesome details. It's a willingness to take his medicine without exacerbating the existing damage to the image of racing. At least that's what I'd be arguing if I were one of Weir's lawyers.

Further to that I note that two charges of NOT cooperating with stewards have been withdrawn after Monday’s hearing 

I would also say that if the Feds uncover nothing more, as currently appears likely, this has been a quite disproportionate overkill by the Police, their media puppets, and the internet proles with their unbridled bloodlust.

Surely Police resources could’ve been used more effectively to solve community crime rather than a full scale assault as seen here, all for three jiggers..

Rather like Operation Inca, that’s the NZ race fixing fiasco, the Police used surveillance techniques and resources for 161 days, yes 161 days, on that operation allegedly based on the anecdotal evidence and information of one disenchanted business partner. The net result, nothing concrete but a bit of peripheral shenanigans, but 161 days of surveillance yet they haven’t got time to attend burglaries, gang related drug activity, or domestic violence ....... perspective and proportion are both sadly missing here.....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, poundforpound said:

Further to that I note that two charges of NOT cooperating with stewards have been withdrawn after Monday’s hearing 

I would also say that if the Feds uncover nothing more, as currently appears likely, this has been a quite disproportionate overkill by the Police, their media puppets, and the internet proles with their unbridled bloodlust.

Surely Police resources could’ve been used more effectively to solve community crime rather than a full scale assault as seen here, all for three jiggers..

Rather like Operation Inca, that’s the NZ race fixing fiasco, the Police used surveillance techniques and resources for 161 days, yes 161 days, on that operation allegedly based on the anecdotal evidence and information of one disenchanted business partner. The net result, nothing concrete but a bit of peripheral shenanigans, but 161 days of surveillance yet they haven’t got time to attend burglaries, gang related drug activity, or domestic violence ....... perspective and proportion are both sadly missing here.....

One of the key facts not being explored by the Aussie media is that the famous videos and photo's don't apparently exist. Thats been admitted by stewards.  It was all a bluff by police hopefully getting the "suspect" to confess. How can you charge someone for not talking when the so called evidence is a myth.

At the time of the raid the best assurance the public had was the police had photo's and videos. All false.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

4 Years ban. Now they have to find jobs for 150 employees. Interestingly, the 3 Jiggers were found in the Master Bedroom! Perhaps a disgruntled female staff member dobbed him in? A good lawyer could have pleaded a pretty good case that the Jiggers never left the bedroom? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If I was the leading Horse Trainer in Australia and someone accused me of something I was innocent of, I would fight tooth and nail to defend it, he has turned to jelly after 3 days, must be something he doesn't want put out there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now