RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
slam dunk

Gregory Jude MCCARTHY ?

Some may not not know it but Greg is the racing rep on the NZ Racing Board.

I follow racing as closely as most but confess I don't move in Gregory's circles.

So what is his circle?  Can't find much on his firm Sutton McCarthy suffice to say its based in Wellington but the two principals live in Auckland and Cambridge. My guess Greg McCarthy does the accounting for some of the studs but could be wrong. Seems he is invested in forestry and cattle stations.

I don't see anything in his rather vague profile that would suggest any knowledge of wagering IT systems. So what advice did Greg McCarthy take before he signed off on this already discredited OpenBet/Paddy Power deal. Did he make any effort to guage opinion of Racing Clubs, racing participants or racing punters. From all evidence he portrays the typical "YES MAN".  Hope someone can clarify his profile and prove me wrong.

The Greg McCarty I know is a decent bloke. He is a moneyman with expertise in Treasury matters. As such he is very focussed on probity.

Greg was encouraged to take a strong interest in "Matters Racing" about 10 years ago by his clients the Schicks who thought he was a straight thinker that racing needed. He is an Owner/Breeder. Greg became a solo dad under tragic circumstances around this this time, but he has stuck to the task likely without much appreciation. There would be a lot more weaker links to gossip about than this bloke. NM

37 minutes ago, Nerula said:

The Greg McCarty I know is a decent bloke. He is a moneyman with expertise in Treasury matters. As such he is very focussed on probity.

Greg was encouraged to take a strong interest in "Matters Racing" about 10 years ago by his clients the Schicks who thought he was a straight thinker that racing needed. He is an Owner/Breeder. Greg became a solo dad under tragic circumstances around this this time, but he has stuck to the task likely without much appreciation. There would be a lot more weaker links to gossip about than this bloke. NM

Yep I second this.  He is a genuinely good bloke.  He did some Treasury consulting work for me in a former role and we struck up a friendship based on our mutual love of horse racing.  Very astute and has a great passion for this industry.  He has invested a lot of time, energy and money in our industry.

The solo Dad story is even more impressive than Nerula portrays - his wife had a stroke (I think) when giving birth to their eldest daughter and she was confined to a wheelchair after that.  Greg cared for her for nearly 20 years while they raised their family and while he managed his business interests.

He has bred and raced a lot more horses than the one "that Pitty leased and won a few races with".

He is currently racing a 2yo filly named Aretha that won a couple of trials in November before running 3rd behind Aotea Lad in the Wakefield at Trentham.  Went a very nice trial earlier today at Te Aroha and possibly worth a bet at her next start.  One of the better horses he raced was Sabbatical who ran in some top 2yo and 3yo races in the 90s and did well as a broodmare - dam of Monterey Bay who won the Eulogy and ran a nice race in the Oaks.  He raced and bred from a number of the Sabbatical family.  Her first filly Nuance was one of the first bunch of winners that Michael Walker rode.

1 hour ago, Kloppite said:

Yep I second this.  He is a genuinely good bloke.  He did some Treasury consulting work for me in a former role and we struck up a friendship based on our mutual love of horse racing.  Very astute and has a great passion for this industry.  He has invested a lot of time, energy and money in our industry.

The solo Dad story is even more impressive than Nerula portrays - his wife had a stroke (I think) when giving birth to their eldest daughter and she was confined to a wheelchair after that.  Greg cared for her for nearly 20 years while they raised their family and while he managed his business interests.

He has bred and raced a lot more horses than the one "that Pitty leased and won a few races with".

He is currently racing a 2yo filly named Aretha that won a couple of trials in November before running 3rd behind Aotea Lad in the Wakefield at Trentham.  Went a very nice trial earlier today at Te Aroha and possibly worth a bet at her next start.  One of the better horses he raced was Sabbatical who ran in some top 2yo and 3yo races in the 90s and did well as a broodmare - dam of Monterey Bay who won the Eulogy and ran a nice race in the Oaks.  He raced and bred from a number of the Sabbatical family.  Her first filly Nuance was one of the first bunch of winners that Michael Walker rode.

Heres more, the story I was told. Gregs wife wheelchair bound phoned him when he was away and told him she has suffered another turn. Greg rang Police and ambulance and raced home where he found these people standing around outside a locked door. They were too late.

Greg brought up a couple of young girls on his own and tried to do the stuff for Racing that Nelson Schick wanted him to do at the same time. 

I would like to add that I found Greg a very good person to deal with, I know he has great passion for this industry I didn't know his full background but does not sound like he has it easy in his personal life which should remain his own business. He was good friends of Jim Campin and his boys who told me to take The Governator, which I raced with Brian Molloy and John Carran, he was one honest horse who loved firm tracks and fronted up really well during a Wellington Cup Week

1 hour ago, uneasy said:

I would like to add that I found Greg a very good person to deal with, I know he has great passion for this industry I didn't know his full background but does not sound like he has it easy in his personal life which should remain his own business. He was good friends of Jim Campin and his boys who told me to take The Governator, which I raced with Brian Molloy and John Carran, he was one honest horse who loved firm tracks and fronted up really well during a Wellington Cup Week

So isn't that whats wrong with racing. Greg may well be a good bloke. As you say his personal life is his own business and I don't see how many horses he has raced as relevant. My initial query was just what he did and how qualified he was to sign off on the OpenBet/Paddy Power deal.

Seems in racing the people getting into these positions are "good blokes" or based on  who knows who. No doubt at this moment the "good blokes" are planning on who next gets on the board.

23 hours ago, slam dunk said:

So isn't that whats wrong with racing. Greg may well be a good bloke. As you say his personal life is his own business and I don't see how many horses he has raced as relevant. My initial query was just what he did and how qualified he was to sign off on the OpenBet/Paddy Power deal.

Seems in racing the people getting into these positions are "good blokes" or based on  who knows who. No doubt at this moment the "good blokes" are planning on who next gets on the board.

Mate if you dont know what you are talking about leave your shitty speculation aside. FYI McCarthy was a seconded exec on the Owners Fed around 2008. He had to resign from that to take up a position in NZTR Admin He was then made the NZTR delegate to NZRB where he would have ONE vote. To say he signed off the NZRB choice of Paddy Power et al is something you need to be able to prove to have any credence. You would know NZTR tried to promote TABCORP wouldnt you? 

I have sat in meetings with McCarthy and thought he was the smartest guy in the room. That would certainly be the case it he was in your company.

2 hours ago, Nerula said:

Mate if you dont know what you are talking about leave your shitty speculation aside. FYI McCarthy was a seconded exec on the Owners Fed around 2008. He had to resign from that to take up a position in NZTR Admin He was then made the NZTR delegate to NZRB where he would have ONE vote. To say he signed off the NZRB choice of Paddy Power et al is something you need to be able to prove to have any credence. You would know NZTR tried to promote TABCORP wouldnt you? 

I have sat in meetings with McCarthy and thought he was the smartest guy in the room. That would certainly be the case it he was in your company.

So I'll take that as a NO.

No he doesn't have any knowledge of wagering IT systems. But he has company the rest of the "board" don't either.

Slammy the most important thing in life is to know which way is up.

We now have the wonders of the internet where you can learn any thing you like. You probably found McCarthy this way and you could easily contact him and ask him some questions. Better than kicking the can around here!

I am sure if he as astute a person as some are indicating as far as accounting matters go but having no knowledge of Betting Platforms he would have fully endorsed the report by Deloittes that the organisation he represents instructed them to carry out regarding the NZ Racing Industry considering to spend tens of millions on a new betting report.   As NZTR's appointed Board Member I would have no doubt that given the advice from Deloittes and his own supposed business knowledge that it  was a no brainer he recorded his vote for the new betting platform as a strong no and  to be recorded in the minutes as such. Pity his fellow Board Members didn't act in the same manner.

On 2/5/2019 at 5:50 PM, Kloppite said:

He is currently racing a 2yo filly named Aretha that won a couple of trials in November before running 3rd behind Aotea Lad in the Wakefield at Trentham.  Went a very nice trial earlier today at Te Aroha and possibly worth a bet at her next start.  

Great result and a very nice price!! :)

1 hour ago, poundforpound said:
9 hours ago, Red Rum said:

Congrats on your horses yesterday . Consensus that's one real tough racemare , battled back like a lioness . 

Thank you for your kind words.

My interest in Consensus is only on the basis that she reverts back to my 50% ownership when she retires. 

She is a very good tough and genuine mare.

I quite like Felaar with another year on him, he’s still a bit angular and unfurnished but he’ll grow into a nice horse later on.

I hope you don't need to go to small claims Leo?.... if the current owners don't want to give her back? :rcf-laughing-2:

On 2/5/2019 at 5:50 PM, Kloppite said:

He is currently racing a 2yo filly named Aretha that won a couple of trials in November before running 3rd behind Aotea Lad in the Wakefield at Trentham.  Went a very nice trial earlier today at Te Aroha and possibly worth a bet at her next start. 

Another very nice run from Aretha - he has a nice one on his hands there!!