RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
slam dunk

The Cattle Prodder

Any horse grazing settup is always going to have cattle  as a means of managing grass growth, worms etc. So there must be cattle farmers on here so tell me do you possess a electronic cattle prodder.

Definition.

A cattle prod, also called a stock prod, is a handheld device commonly used to make cattle or other livestock move by striking or poking them. An electric cattle prod is a stick with electrodes on the end which is used to make cattle move through a relatively high-voltage, low-current electric shock.

That is what Jarrod Mclean had on his property yet for some obscure fairytale reason it is termed a jigger. He has therefore been charged. This whole episode smells of envy and jealousy. The group of Melbourne trainers getting together forcing Racing Victoria to scratch Weir's horses is a gutless attempt to cash in by getting hold of Weir's horses. Then there is Dabernig proclaiming that Prince of Penzanced illegally won the Melbourne Cup yet he can't put forward any evidence.  Sick Sick sick.

15 hours ago, slam dunk said:

Any horse grazing settup is always going to have cattle  as a means of managing grass growth, worms etc. So there must be cattle farmers on here so tell me do you possess a electronic cattle prodder.

Definition.

A cattle prod, also called a stock prod, is a handheld device commonly used to make cattle or other livestock move by striking or poking them. An electric cattle prod is a stick with electrodes on the end which is used to make cattle move through a relatively high-voltage, low-current electric shock.

That is what Jarrod Mclean had on his property yet for some obscure fairytale reason it is termed a jigger. He has therefore been charged. This whole episode smells of envy and jealousy. The group of Melbourne trainers getting together forcing Racing Victoria to scratch Weir's horses is a gutless attempt to cash in by getting hold of Weir's horses. Then there is Dabernig proclaiming that Prince of Penzanced illegally won the Melbourne Cup yet he can't put forward any evidence.  Sick Sick sick.

the 'Cow' DEFENCE...AGAIN!

Well, a cow is a cow, a bull a bull, and of course a horse is a horse. A bull prodder is not a jigger. But 50 years ago a leading Sth Is trainer had a prodder that was used on his race horses, so I guess they are still used on horses. Plenty around horse stables I feel.

On 2/3/2019 at 12:14 PM, departed said:

What an ignorant statement. 

We had a horse beaten by one of his last year and after being given a perfect run by our jockey our horse looked set to win. Then out of nowhere came a Weir horse with blinkers on and our jockey said she felt the rush of air as it raced past her.  The difference between 1st and 2nd prizemoney is not to be sneezed at, plus the extra win for the trainer who is small time and trying to get ahead.

.  You can see the difference in just one weekend, with small trainers now winning races ahead of the big stables.

Brave Smash , check him out Manikato (blinkers)  running down Spirit of Valour , then walking round last week ( speaking through pocket on last week's run ) .

Ive no idea guilt or innocence or somewhere in between but it's bad , real bad for racing because it's all to  play out over next year. NZ racing wants funding from government , anti racing brigade feed off this, they don't care NZ or AU .  I've no idea where you heard that first paragraph from , or if true or not but any rightminded person must be sickened reading acts such as that .

1 hour ago, departed said:

What an ignorant statement.  Jiggers are illegal in Australian racing, merely being in the possession of one leads to a 2 year minimum disqualification. What Weir has done is obscene.

I doubt very much Weir would use a so-called jigger on 'quality' racehorses.

Not condoning the use of battery devices on horses but in my experience these so-called jiggers were only ever used on slow / cheats / barrier rogues etc. The alternative for a slow horse was either the pet meat factory or an imbecile who wanted a retired horse to ride at weekends but who would never care, feed and exercise the animal like one D. Weir would ! 

Weir has achieved a lot in this game, probably more than all or the ARSEHOLES who are knifing him in the back ever would.

Can you list your achievements please, "Departed" ?

We had a horse beaten by one of his last year and after being given a perfect run by our jockey our horse looked set to win. Then out of nowhere came a Weir horse with blinkers on and our jockey said she felt the rush of air as it raced past her.  The difference between 1st and 2nd prizemoney is not to be sneezed at, plus the extra win for the trainer who is small time and trying to get ahead.

.  You can see the difference in just one weekend, with small trainers now winning races ahead of the big stables.

Please either prove the allegations you are making or apologise...you are way out of line...If you can't prove it I will remove it...thanks.

6 hours ago, arjay said:

Well, a cow is a cow, a bull a bull, and of course a horse is a horse. A bull prodder is not a jigger. But 50 years ago a leading Sth Is trainer had a prodder that was used on his race horses, so I guess they are still used on horses. Plenty around horse stables I feel.

I think you would be very wrong there...been in horses all my life never seen one or heard of one used in NZ..and if they were out there people would talk...please dont cross the line either....its a very touchy subject and everyone has the right to be assumed innocent until facts prove otherwise.

12 hours ago, scooby3051 said:

I think you would be very wrong there...been in horses all my life never seen one or heard of one used in NZ..and if they were out there people would talk...please dont cross the line either....its a very touchy subject and everyone has the right to be assumed innocent until facts prove otherwise.

I was instructed to use the prodder during trackwork. No line crossed at all.

Arjay you and the trainer are complete jerks for doing and condoning that, if you did that to one of my horses, I would shove the prodder up you where the sun dont shine, I hope all the hairs around your arse turn into fish hooks. You have to be a complete tosser to come on a public forum and discuss this sort of crap.

I think it was at the Stratford barrier trials some years ago.  A trainer had become exasperated at his fast horse's inability to jump promptly from the starting gates.  So he entered it in the trial and as there was no prize money on offer, he went to the start and as they jumped the horse got a prod.  I do not know what happened to the horse, but the trainer was fined heavily, which I thought at the time was just a tad unfair.

17 minutes ago, slam dunk said:

Lets clear this up. Many studs, trainers, horse spellers use an electric fence. I was involved in daily changing an electric fence and never thought it was cruel. 99% of the horses learnt to respect the fence. 

So is an electric fence allowed in a racing stable complex?

Wow thats drawing a long bow...pleaaaaase.

2 hours ago, Tauhei Notts said:

I think it was at the Stratford barrier trials some years ago.  A trainer had become exasperated at his fast horse's inability to jump promptly from the starting gates.  So he entered it in the trial and as there was no prize money on offer, he went to the start and as they jumped the horse got a prod.  I do not know what happened to the horse, but the trainer was fined heavily, which I thought at the time was just a tad unfair.

Gee Leigh your old stamping ground   Your old boss must of must have mentioned it to you . I think it was one of those dual code trainers that trained out of Stratford .(deceased now).

11 minutes ago, scooby3051 said:

Wow thats drawing a long bow...pleaaaaase.

I am asking a genuine question. From a horses perspective I can't see much difference between an electric shock from a fence and a jigger. I didn't say from a rules perspective.

AS well if you were a horse would you rather have a few taps on the backside with a whip or have your mouth yanked all over the place by a thoughtless jockey. No one ever mentions the mouth one but the whip being more visible has the do gooders screaming.

You can see the difference in just one weekend, with small trainers now winning races ahead of the big stables.

That’s very sad and depressing if those accusations become fact . We all want to win but using those techniques is disgusting.

Wouldn't it be better to find out the truth.ive read and heard all the maybes the drugs etc but in my experience speculation and truth vary greatly. We have operation Inca here and there have been assumptions half truths facts that aren't facts. Videos wiretaps etc.let the truth set us free not shit talk.just saying.

On 2/4/2019 at 7:04 AM, scooby3051 said:

When and where...prove it or retract it...its easy to make up anything.

I could name the Trainer, and the horse, but as I said it was 50 years ago, by naming the Trainer what does that achieve? The fact remains a prodder was used. I was just a kid following instructions.

I see I am being ridiculed elsewhere for my stance on this matter...if we are to encourage meaningful debate and get industry leaders involved in contributing to the discussions then there needs to be clear boundaries ... and not just allow hearsay and rumours...I have always had a policy of if you cant prove it don't post it...I will not change that principle...or the limited amount of moderation we have here...it keeps the site running smoothly without infighting and decent.

I hope that members will continue to enjoy the site and the platform it provides...Leigh

Jarrod Maclean is going to come out fighting.

From The Age newspaper

McLean, a group 1-winning trainer with a stable that operates independently of Weir, said on Tuesday he was being unfairly treated by the racing community and the media in the wake of last week’s dawn stable raids.

McLean launched a blistering attack for what he said has been a character assassination of him and his family.

"I’ve been prosecuted by the media for the past five days," said the Warrnambool-based trainer.

"[The media] are getting their facts from irrelevant sources."

McLean said events had taken a heavy personal toll on his family over the last week.

"The way me and my family have been treated is a disgrace."

McLean said he should be permitted to go through the "proper processes" before being judged by the public.