RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
chevy86

Sales Washup

1 hour ago, Red Rum said:

If you get a chance WD  check out Racing  Post and search Wicklow Brave form. The iron horse to beat all iron horses , country to country all over world  , hurdle to flat , flat to hurdle , big weights , top races . He's coming to end now and the 166 I quoted was his peak hurdle,  now 151 . Bred by Juddmonte under their Millsec offshoot but sold unraced and kicked off in bumpers . Sort horse as fan I really hope walks away into retirement safe and sound .

They do a good job of mixing hurdling and flat racing in Australia as well, but it is something we have never really done much in NZ. With the new breed of horses not being genuine mudlarks like the days of old, I think hurdling could go a bit longer on better tracks. And of course above I did mean to says SI jumps stop at GN Week, not Cup week. We did of course see one hurdler in the NZ Cup this season,well backed too, something we should encourage more of.

1 hour ago, poundforpound said:

Australia and the UK use a far smaller and more forgiving type of hurdle than NZ don’t they.....maybe that’s why their horses can mix hurdling and flat racing.....

Haven't got the exact measurements P4P but have stood next to both many times and UK/Ire quite solid and top bar wooden in traditional ones ,  however most falls kind of trip falls and top bar kicked out at times .NZ hurdles more in  the French mode of smaller brush fences.Haydock use brush hurdles now. , most dangerous thing about UK/Ire ones is in big fields a horse in front hits one it moves forward then swings back and horse in behind is faced with  hurdle swinging back on them so in this respect it's validates your more forgiving point for front horse  as does not seem to happen here over hurdles . They have put them in deeper into ground to try stop this . The other danger in UK/Ire hurdles is horse puts leg under top bar traps it and snap .The new plastic hurdles look similar to traditional ones and used at Taunton, these  stop this leg trapping and less maintaince cost.

A lot of top hurdlers bred for jumps game and not ex flat and rarely many chasers ex flat . A lot of French imports in fact are non thoroughbred , Buveur D'Air is one iam sure .

Chase fences whole different ball game , solid birch and really stop a horse when they hit them , no brushing through top like here , they need jumping . Buveur D'Air didn't handle them as he skims over his hurdles with incredible speed.  Geraghty said he scares shit out of him.

On ‎2‎/‎13‎/‎2019 at 9:22 PM, Berri said:

The sales were an unmitigated disaster for the industry as a whole. It is 4 years from now that is the real problem. Another 10-14% drop in foals on the ground see us move closer to the Germany/ Italy/ Spain and Ireland before the zero tax scenario. Germany is on notice for its group ones and Italy and Spain have lost their Group ones. Numbers have crashed, fewer runners/ decrease in betting/ racing industry runs out of options. Aussie trainers give up coming to NZ because they can't syndicate NZ horses because they can't win group ones in Aussie when they race in Aussie. Means that the NZ thoroughbred devalues further and then we have collapse

A bit of fake news here Berri. The NZ foals crop has been pretty stable over the last 5 years with a less than 1.5% decrease in that time. Germany has 2 Group 1 races on notice out of the 7 it currently runs - interestingly all of the German Group 1's are run at 2000m or further, 5 of them at 2400m. Their problem is that they have a high number of black type races to races (over 7%) when the average of countries in Part 1 of the Bluebook is around 5%. Spain has NEVER in recent times had an internationally recognised Group race never mind a Group 1. Italy, well we all now know what letting Governments hold the purse strings does for a racing industry. Italy's woes can be solely directed at the fact that owners, trainers & breeders weren't getting paid prizemoney for periods of 6 months or longer - it is no wonder the investment in the industry disappeared completely. Whoops, that does sound a bit familiar. And Ireland, Ireland seems to live in a world of it's own - 10.5% black type races to races and 6% Group races to races - most countries are 3% or less.

however....the last 2 sentences of yours above should make us get off our arses and start to demand change

my bad..I meant the last 4 years...and not ending at 2016 like you have - 2017 crop approx. 3471+ & 2018 estimated to be 3462 (and these 2 numbers come from Studbook as well) ....which looks to me actually like a small increase or at least nowhere like a 10-14% drop.....