RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
scooby3051

NZ BLOODLINES NEED NEW BLOOD

Is this the reason why so many of the Aussies did not bother to come over this year to Karaka same old tired old NZ families and lack of toppling stallions outside a couple of standouts. Some of the bigger studs have had a very ordinary sale with old families, unproven stallions with buyers looking elsewhere...NZ badly needs an injection of new blood JMO.

Good friend of mine who has bought many good horses from this sale said he nearly did not come as the catalogue lacked pizzaz.

I wholeheartedly agree and the NZ market is nearing a cross roads in terms of its exportable product. Are we trying to be all things to all people as opposed to the traditional stayers. Can the studs afford to compete with Ozzie for the better performed sires, no

Even the doyen of them all Cambridge really only has one attraction Tavistock

52 minutes ago, Fartoomuch said:

I wholeheartedly agree and the NZ market is nearing a cross roads in terms of its exportable product. Are we trying to be all things to all people as opposed to the traditional stayers. Can the studs afford to compete with Ozzie for the better performed sires, no

Even the doyen of them all Cambridge really only has one attraction Tavistock

Tavistock's average price has crashed this year, down nearly 40k. After 3 sessions his average is less than the sales average at 139k. Savabeel's average is up on 2018 at 295k, but he can't carry a Premier sale of 700+ lots. 

44 minutes ago, Virtual.Stipe said:

Tavistock's average price has crashed this year, down nearly 40k. After 3 sessions his average is less than the sales average at 139k. Savabeel's average is up on 2018 at 295k, but he can't carry a Premier sale of 700+ lots. 

You have to wonder whether  new Cambridge owner spends up.big time on new commercial stallions

Cambridge Stud have been buying a lot fillies lately. Several from the recent Tattersalls sale in the UK, some at the MM and of course a few at Karaka. Those go on top of the many the Lindsays have bought in recent years. So they are definitely renewing the broodmare band strength of Cambridge.

I just saw an interview with Dean Hawthorne who make a couple of interesting points.

Firstly he said the Aussies still look to NZ for the classic / staying types because for 3 year old Derby / Oaks / Guineas races the Northern Hemisphere cannot compete ( unless some enterprising stud starts to deliberately breed to SH time for sale --as opposed to SH broodmare owners sending mares up for SH time service).

He also made the point that the Aussie buying of the classic/stayer type is cyclical --the Victorians, in particular, bought in the last couple yearling sales and the RtoR sale last year so now they wait until they see if those purchases perform before coming back.

Yes the Lindsays have really tried to upgrade the Cambridge stock and they will do very well with some of the fillies they have bought Henry is a very astute buyer and has a lot of success.

Good luck to them they deserve to have success as does anyone who puts in big money.

I think it is also a case of diversifying the broodmare base to different families. All the major NZ studs have the same situation --they have very successfully built their businesses around a few very good families but now as they have got much bigger they probably need to broaden their group of families. I think when you look at the Cambridge purchases they seem to be doing that, even doing it quite cheaply, when they bought the Choisir filly from Pencarrow yesterday for $30k. It is the family of Insoucient, Dorabella and Media Sensation. etc.

4 hours ago, Breeder said:

Cambridge Stud have been buying a lot fillies lately. Several from the recent Tattersalls sale in the UK, some at the MM and of course a few at Karaka. Those go on top of the many the Lindsays have bought in recent years. So they are definitely renewing the broodmare band strength of Cambridge.

I just saw an interview with Dean Hawthorne who make a couple of interesting points.

Firstly he said the Aussies still look to NZ for the classic / staying types because for 3 year old Derby / Oaks / Guineas races the Northern Hemisphere cannot compete ( unless some enterprising stud starts to deliberately breed to SH time for sale --as opposed to SH broodmare owners sending mares up for SH time service).

He also made the point that the Aussie buying of the classic/stayer type is cyclical --the Victorians, in particular, bought in the last couple yearling sales and the RtoR sale last year so now they wait until they see if those purchases perform before coming back.

those are valid points...but too little to hang your hat on.Look where the big money is in Oz with the Everest and other new initiatives.Honkers and Singapore are focussed on sprinter/milers too.

Aussies won't come back for Cups / middle distance horses thats over , gone forever I'd guess because cash not there to re build and facilities not good enough gallops wise. Euros too well bred over generations  , too well prepared in early stages of education . The ones Coolmore offload to Team Williams have same early life as likes of Camelot , Australia etc etc , they haven't had arse ripped out ripping round and round same substandard training track from year dot.Godolphin send raiders , and transfer from uk and purchase in UK and Europe  to transfer in respect likes Contributor so they have the Aussie racing sussed now and a top young trainer to entrust them to over there. So it's a expensive business to re build and regain foothold in that market. Age group racing different I suppose but they turn 4 and it's over up against the imports for most part.