RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
dock leaf

Venues 2019/20

To be honest, it probably makes more sense than the Messara proposals. The only actual savings to the industry will be owners transport costs to the likes of Waterlea. I'm not sure that the likes of Kevin Myers will send heaps of horses to support Wairoa at Hastings, and I'm fascinated to know where the Marlborough RC will go to race; either Omoto or Riccarton I suppose, or they may go the same way Westport and Nelson went when they stopped racing at their courses. Will Hokitika and Reefton continue to attract lots of local sponsorship racing elsewhere.

Feilding is quite a misleading example to use as they were able to sell their course for lots of money: very few of the clubs affected here will be able to do that. All the Feilding precedent does is perhaps justify closing Trentham or Te Rapa.

It will also put a bit of pressure on those Trotting clubs left running some of the smaller courses by themselves. Could we see some of the local Racing enthusiasts and sponsors switching their allegiance to Harness Racing if they want to stay involved?

2 minutes ago, poundforpound said:

A futile attempt to exercise their authority and remain relevant.

Based on all the rumblings at the sales NZTR is no longer considered significant or relevant in the rapidly moving NZ racing landscape, and if that’s true this untimely posturing is best ignored.

My thoughts exactly Leo as expressed above.

They are irresponsible posting that dribble . Soon as they proposed keeping Gisborne over Wairoa anyone with racing in their veins would of thought what toss pot sanctioned this .

Just a few comments on the NZTR proposal for  Stratford Racing Club to lose its Thoroughbred Race Date

• Our December 29th 2018 race meeting had over 4500 patrons in attendance
  • Our Annual race day is a huge part of the local community , social calendar and as such is part of the historic fabric of the town and its residents
  • December 2018 Stratford Racing Club had over 80 horses in work at the Club, this regularly swings from anywhere between 60-90 thoroughbreds
  • Last Thoroughbred Racing season 2017/18 the Stratford Racing Club and its trainers provided 3 out of 10 starters i.e. 30% of the starters from the Taranaki region i.e. (New Plymouth,Stratford and Hawera ) to put this in perspective that is more than the two biggest trainers at New Plymouth provided combined.
  • Stratford Racing Club regularly provide jumpouts for trainers throughout the Central Districts
  • For the past 3 years Stratford Racing Club has opened its doors for use to New Plymouth trainers and their horses during WOMAD when their track is under pressure from that event and any others and we sporadically have trainers from New Plymouth and Hawera come to our track to work horses.
  • There are 15 thoroughbred trainers at Stratford 
  • Stratford Racing Club have offered to hold more race dates but have not been taken up on that offer by New Zealand Thoroughbred Racing, particularly last year whilst Otaki Racing Club was in limbo
  • The Stratford Racing Club is completely financially self sustainable and does not receive any financial assistance/support from New Zealand Thoroughbred Racing to operate in its present capacity

It's difficult to understand why a club that contributes the above to the racing industry is in line to potentially lose its one and only race day, how does taking a race date(one date) off Stratford Racing Club contribute to saving the industry? Particularly when the club is as active in the local racing community as Stratford Racing Club is.

John Gray

Stratford Racing Club

10 minutes ago, JohnnyGray said:

Just a few comments on the NZTR proposal for  Stratford Racing Club to lose its Thoroughbred Race Date

• Our December 29th 2018 race meeting had over 4500 patrons in attendance
  • Our Annual race day is a huge part of the local community , social calendar and as such is part of the historic fabric of the town and its residents
  • December 2018 Stratford Racing Club had over 80 horses in work at the Club, this regularly swings from anywhere between 60-90 thoroughbreds
  • Last Thoroughbred Racing season 2017/18 the Stratford Racing Club and its trainers provided 3 out of 10 starters i.e. 30% of the starters from the Taranaki region i.e. (New Plymouth,Stratford and Hawera ) to put this in perspective that is more than the two biggest trainers at New Plymouth provided combined.
  • Stratford Racing Club regularly provide jumpouts for trainers throughout the Central Districts
  • For the past 3 years Stratford Racing Club has opened its doors for use to New Plymouth trainers and their horses during WOMAD when their track is under pressure from that event and any others and we sporadically have trainers from New Plymouth and Hawera come to our track to work horses.
  • There are 15 thoroughbred trainers at Stratford 
  • Stratford Racing Club have offered to hold more race dates but have not been taken up on that offer by New Zealand Thoroughbred Racing, particularly last year whilst Otaki Racing Club was in limbo
  • The Stratford Racing Club is completely financially self sustainable and does not receive any financial assistance/support from New Zealand Thoroughbred Racing to operate in its present capacity

It's difficult to understand why a club that contributes the above to the racing industry is in line to potentially lose its one and only race day, how does taking a race date(one date) off Stratford Racing Club contribute to saving the industry? Particularly when the club is as active in the local racing community as Stratford Racing Club is.

John Gray

Stratford Racing Club

I’m with you there John .Doesnt make any sense at all .Id say they will try and steal your assets to boot.

$124k on course turnover on 8 races on a Saturday with such a huge crowd?

Taranaki 2 days earlier, 8 races also but 10 less total starters, did $141k on course turnover.

Looking at the draft calendar you havent lost your raceday at all, its still a Stratford RC meeting, just at a different venue. I guarantee you, you will do more on course turnover at NP this year than you did at Stratford last year. 

1 minute ago, SMD is rife said:

Taranaki 2 days earlier, 8 races also but 10 less total starters, did $141k on course turnover.

Looking at the draft calendar you havent lost your raceday at all, its still a Stratford RC meeting, just at a different venue. I guarantee you, you will do more on course turnover at NP this year than you did at Stratford last year. 

I think they would prefer to use their own course for all the reasons John stated . 

54 minutes ago, SMD is rife said:

I'm not on here to make comparisons with New Plymouth that's not going to get anyone anywhere and what is this fascination with quoting on course turnovers as a means of justifying a racing club having a race day? These can be easily distorted by several factors which I'm sure I don't need to go into. Besides that you're happy to ignore the other positive contributions that Stratford Racing Club makes to racing locally, why is that?

The race day would be lost to Stratford and the local community  and that is something our club believes is important to racing locally and in Taranaki.

2 hours ago, puha said:

I’m with you there John .Doesnt make any sense at all .Id say they will try and steal your assets to boot.

With the latter comment in mind (already mooted aka messara report) What does John think will happen to the 15 trainers that will have their training facility taken off them. Also what has he been told about relocation / compensation costs towards those trainers .  Or is it we are going to take your land  stiff cheese Stratford trainers .

1 hour ago, frankie said:

What makes you think that the racing industry would get any money if Avondale was closed and sold off.

Frankie EVERYONE needs to be prepared to move and if they don't move willingly then they MUST be pushed so the WHOLE industry can have a chance....if not GOODNIGHT. My old man used to say if you keep doing the same thing over and over...expect to get the same result.!!!

4 minutes ago, scooby3051 said:

Frankie EVERYONE needs to be prepared to move and if they don't move willingly then they MUST be pushed so the WHOLE industry can have a chance....if not GOODNIGHT. My old man used to say if you keep doing the same thing over and over...expect to get the same result.!!!

I think Frankie asked what makes you think Avondale will hand over the money if sold , he didn't ask if they are prepared to move . I move house I don't give my proceeds away . A legitimate question that needs answering . Maybe an old contract agreement ? It comes down to if a land grab is legal.  Industry can just not give licence , different thing taking land imho.

14 hours ago, Whyisit said:

With the latter comment in mind (already mooted aka messara report) What does John think will happen to the 15 trainers that will have their training facility taken off them. Also what has he been told about relocation / compensation costs towards those trainers .  Or is it we are going to take your land  stiff cheese Stratford trainers .

We are focused on finding the right outcome for our race day at the moment , I'm not aware of any trainers considering relocation and there  certainly haven't been any discussions on that from an NZTR perspective.

Are clubs there to make money, or to contribute to other organisations to make money by supplying the product, or bring the product to their area by providing a service to the local populous.     I suppose you can argue each of these.     I just can't help think of the plight of harness racing in the Hawkes Bay since the area was starved of the product.    Remove gallops from Marlbourough (as an example) and there will be no interest in gallops there in ten (maximum) years!

Eljay's point is poignant.  Thoroughbred betting turnover per head is lowest in the Nelson area.  Standardbred turnover per head is about average in the Nelson area.  It will be sad to see Stratford go.  That uphill run at Stratford, from the 600 metre peg, finds out the real good horses, like Wellington Cup winners.  It will be also disappointing to see Reefton go.  If you have a sprinter that can run very fast around curves with a small radius, that is where one must go.  Reefton is also a great place to go if you enjoy drinking grog with wonderful people.

12 hours ago, poundforpound said:

It’s not what I think......it just appears to be the only way NZTR can fund their industry morphology.

Can you see any other way it’ll be funded ?

It may of course involve considerable concessions to the existing Avondale club, relocation costs, naming rights in perpetuity, maybe even a new track if they trash both Avondale and Counties ( insert smiling face emoji ) but whatever it takes to initiate change, it still has to be funded, and turning Avondale and Te Rapa into cash would fund this transition.....I guess then the important question is this, would you trust NZTR to spend industry money on your behalf, and spend it wisely and well.

BTW I’m not commenting on the Avondale clubs constitution and whether that’d even allow any land sale proceeds to be gifted to the industry 

Get Aaron Drever to sell it