Breeder

Karaka Sales thread

32 posts in this topic

That time of the year again, so I thought we should have a thread started for posters to give their views.

To kick it off -- I am no expert on type but looking the photos online two of the new stallions that seem to have good strong yearlings are Vespa and Sweynesse  (NB. I have no affiliation to any stud).

Waikato Stud seem to have a large number of withdrawn lots. I realise they probably have the largest draft but last count I made there was 15 withdrawn from Book 1. Hopefully nothing wrong and they are just being very selective on what goes forward, at this stage.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I loved Secret Allure but thought she was a bit small as I wanted a broody, looked at Dijon Bleu but thought she was weak looking, loved volpe voloce but couldn't afford a share. So I give up! 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's going to be a helluva an interesting sale that is for sure.

Just looking at the pictures on the website and a stallion I wasn't expecting to interest me has been Mongolian Khan, they all seem to be nice types with a bit of substance to them so be great to get a look at them.

Although not a 1st season sire I can't help but be impressed with the quality of stock being left by Proisir.

Looking at photos Lot 731 ,738,1047 appeal to me some be fun to see what they go for.

One observation on the Windsor Park photos does anyone else find them to be very inconsistent (i.e. sun ruining some photos , others very dark , horses look a bit bored in them) of quality and not good examples of the stock on offer in the flesh? I just thought  a stud of that magnitude would put more into the quality of their photos for the sales than that.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Agree with you Hue, on the Windsor Park photos. The horses look like they are asleep. But their photos have been like that for the last few years.

I saw the preview show on Trackside last night and WP showed the Mongolian Khan stock -- they look really good, much than the impression you get from the photos on the NZB site.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Huey said:

It's going to be a helluva an interesting sale that is for sure.

Just looking at the pictures on the website and a stallion I wasn't expecting to interest me has been Mongolian Khan, they all seem to be nice types with a bit of substance to them so be great to get a look at them.

Although not a 1st season sire I can't help but be impressed with the quality of stock being left by Proisir.

Looking at photos Lot 731 ,738,1047 appeal to me some be fun to see what they go for.

One observation on the Windsor Park photos does anyone else find them to be very inconsistent (i.e. sun ruining some photos , others very dark , horses look a bit bored in them) of quality and not good examples of the stock on offer in the flesh? I just thought  a stud of that magnitude would put more into the quality of their photos for the sales than that.

 

Me too Huey....Mongolian Khan wasn't on my list either...he is now looking at some of his stock! :wub:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have been looking at the Valachi Downs videos --good presentation and I like the way they slow part of the video down so you can clearly see the horse's stride.

Lot 117 an Iffraaj yearling has a very interesting marking. A large dark mark just behind the wither on one side --like a huge birth mark. Never seen that on a horse before, in that area.

Lot 504 --a Zacinto colt. You would go a long way to see a yearling with a bigger overstride ( or whatever the right term is)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Berri will be pleased. He had a post a few weeks ago about how studs need to embrace the digital age/technology ( he was mainly referring to photographs/videos ) but Cambridge Stud has embraced it with information in general with their Horse Passport section on their site  https://www.cambridgestud.co.nz/     https://www.karaka2019.co.nz/

  Well done Cambridge Stud !!  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Dopey said:

Prices look lower?

Seems to be the case, got to love it how CS give themselves a wrap for selling progeny from two of the hottest stallions standing in Aus. Zoustar &RC, don't they want a high five for Tavistock and Burgundy?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Dopey said:

Prices look lower?

Definitely are. Take out the 4 specials (500K, 600K, 800K and 475K) and by Book One standards you have a rout. Only the first day but not looking good. 24% pass rate with nearly all of them seemingly run up to just shy of reserve as usual. Cannot remember seeing so many unwanted in Book One, but early days and for the sake of the "Winston re-boot" :rcfe-laughing: racing industry I hope it picks up.Even Steve Davis looked deflated.

Question --Is Aiden Rodley the most obsequious presenter on any racing production? Rabbits on as if the Lindsays and Te Akau are the only people keeping racing alive. Sure they spend big and deserve results but FFS Aiden broaden your horizons. Also can you stop trying to pick Sales winners. Tried to boost the Contributors and M. Khans as the finest examples of first season sires to the point of tedium. While the Khans went OK I think $62.5K, 60K, 60K and a passing was not a great Book One result for Contributor.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, chevy86 said:

Definitely are. Take out the 4 specials (500K, 600K, 800K and 475K) and by Book One standards you have a rout. Only the first day but not looking good. 24% pass rate with nearly all of them seemingly run up to just shy of reserve as usual. Cannot remember seeing so many unwanted in Book One, but early days and for the sake of the "Winston re-boot" :rcfe-laughing: racing industry I hope it picks up.Even Steve Davis looked deflated.

Question --Is Aiden Rodley the most obsequious presenter on any racing production? Rabbits on as if the Lindsays and Te Akau are the only people keeping racing alive. Sure they spend big and deserve results but FFS Aiden broaden your horizons. Also can you stop trying to pick Sales winners. Tried to boost the Contributors and M. Khans as the finest examples of first season sires to the point of tedium. While the Khans went OK I think $62.5K, 60K, 60K and a passing was not a great Book One result for Contributor.

Didn't Rodley get the memo? BGP are saving racing as well!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, chevy86 said:

Question --Is Aiden Rodley the most obsequious presenter on any racing production? Rabbits on as if the Lindsays and Te Akau are the only people keeping racing alive. Sure they spend big and deserve results but FFS Aiden broaden your horizons.

Yeah the fawning is a little annoying. Didn't offer much analysis either. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I had the same feeling about the sales figures but the summary from NZB for the first 100 lots says it only a bit down on last year

https://www.nzb.co.nz/news.cfm?content_id=183225

I sometimes wonder how good the inspections are from NZB before they make up the catalogue. I realise a lot can change in the remaining months of the prep but when some are struggling to get bids there is obviously something wrong with them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Breeder said:

I had the same feeling about the sales figures but the summary from NZB for the first 100 lots says it only a bit down on last year

https://www.nzb.co.nz/news.cfm?content_id=183225

I sometimes wonder how good the inspections are from NZB before they make up the catalogue. I realise a lot can change in the remaining months of the prep but when some are struggling to get bids there is obviously something wrong with them.

X-Rays done after the catalogue has gone to print.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, Breeder said:

 

I sometimes wonder how good the inspections are from NZB before they make up the catalogue. I realise a lot can change in the remaining months of the prep but when some are struggling to get bids there is obviously something wrong with them.

Tend to agree. What are so many unwanted horses doing in Book One? I realise the big players can dictate where their yearlings go in the relative catalogues but NZB needs to realise that 20-40K yearlings in Book One debases a truly premium catalogue.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think the new format has seen an increase of Book 2 (Select) finding themselves up a grade and it shows, but a good horse will always sell itself.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, crustyngrizzly said:

Anybody able to advise on the cost of getting your yearling prepared for the sale and also the entry fee and commission payable on sale.

 

I was wondering that , Tavistock 65k this year , not sure what he was previously but only a guess but anything under 90k to 95k  mark sale must be a financial loss ? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Red Rum said:

I was wondering that , Tavistock 65k this year , not sure what he was previously but only a guess but anything under 90k to 95k  mark sale must be a financial loss ? 

This is the 2nd of Tavistock's $65k crop to go through the sales ring and along with the 1st of the $65k cropp, are suposed to be his best 2 crops, based on the mares he got.

People I know with outside mares who went to Tavistock, have told me that their break even price is $120k. This factors in service fee, foaling and rearing expenses, vet bills, sales preparation, entry fees and NZB's commission.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Have a look at www.nzthoroughbreds.co.nz/page/production-costs/  will give an idea if the stud foals the mare and retains her and the resulting foal on the property until sale day.

Pretty expensive if you don't own your own land.32 k for a premier foal if the above happens.24k for festival/select.

The breeder will/could/may lose money the preparer won't.

Thats business i suppose but then again they could both make plenty.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now