RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
bazach

Gorky Park

Just wondering why this stallion, Gorbachovs sire, who was twice group one placed in Oz, won over $800k, is by Montjeu, and from a tidy female line, hasn’t served even 20 mares a season since he has been at stud. Is it solely that he isn’t at a recognised stud, or does he have fertility, temperament, or conformation issues? Interested in others thoughts.

I have never seen the  horse, but I do recall he went to Paxton Park when first at stud and talk was for him to be successful he will have to do it the hard way, with runners,  it certainly helps to be at an established farm so...maybe not able to attract good mares ....maybe they just need time that nobody in this game seems to give anymore.

Arion says 49 foals, 22 runners, 8 winners, 17 wins not updated with todays winner yet.

I'm sure someone will shed more light on this who knows the horse 

His signature win was the Andrew Ramsden at 3200m, 10 years ago. It's only recently that 3200m horses (mainly Melbourne Cup runners like Shocking, Americain and Fiorente) have been considered as usable stallions.

That might be a bit misleading as to what kind of a horse he was though; he was a 2yo winner at 1200m, and was among the top 4 or 5 in the big races in both the spring and autumn of his 3yo years.

A 2 year+ break in the middle of his career wouldn't have helped, nor would retiring him to a small stud (with corresponding small marketing budget and broodmare band) as an old horse who only won two stakes races.

Interesting line breeding Gubes. I see Gorky Park finished second a good to Efficient in the VRC Derby, having been one off the fence the whole way (Efficient stuck to the rails the whole way except for the last 200 metres), and also finished third in the Group 1 BMW, so had ability. He looks a big strong animal as well. I see he is at stud in "your" area. Do you know the place etc?

Seems like it could be an interesting story this one. Any one that knows Wayne should encourage him to come on here and tell us a bit about him. Maybe how he come to own him, how many mares he has been serving and what he is like as a stallion. It could convert to a few bookings!

Yes, a great little article. No reason why he (GP), can't sire more group performing horses. Like most stallions, their patronage (outside the stud owned mares) is often based on who provides the glossiest brochure and the biggest bull....t story about the wonderful ability of their sire, - forgetting of course all the races where they and their close relatives finished down the track. Aside from Tavistock, Gallant Guru now seems to be the only other son of Montjeu at stud here. I don't know what has happened to Guillotine, but he is bred on the same Montjeu - Defensive Play cross as GP, and had good opportunity to succeed at Windsor Park. His racing record was okay, although he won only half as much (400k) as Gorky Park.