RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
High Sparrow

Fall at Trentham

Shaun McKay was one lucky (and unlucky) young man when Whatsup came down in race 6 at Trentham today. He was very lucky not to be seriously injured as it happened so suddenly. I felt that Effervescent's move inward was a contributing factor and will be interested to see if the Stipes' Report mentions reminding one Leith Innes (Effervescent) about his obligations on keeping a straight line as his mount came right across the other horse's heels just before Whatsup clipped his hind legs and fell as a result of the tight quarters created. Earlier both horses had moved in and out respectively and looked to have a slight bump so there may have been contributory factors had the fall happened earlier but from what I saw it did seem that Effervecent changed ground quite abruptly (if you watch the strip of light green turf at the time then you'll see how far he drifts inward) and I didn't see too much corrective action coming from Leith until several strides after his horse had been clipped from behind by the faller. I think that was worth a reminder to Leith in the circumstances and just glad to see no one was seriously hurt. The safety of the jockeys is paramount for mine. Here's the video if anyone wants to throw an opinion out or share their thoughts...https://loveracing.nz/RaceInfo#bm-meeting-racereplays

We already had protestors outside the track with their dripping in blood signs....they just want Racing banned.

Why are they always foreigners leading these things...and why did TV1 and 3 give them airtime on the news tonight....??

About a dozen of them, if that......must have been a slow news day.....:rolleyes:

20 minutes ago, Ohokaman said:

We already had protestors outside the track with their dripping in blood signs....they just want Racing banned.

Why are they always foreigners leading these things...and why did TV1 and 3 give them airtime on the news tonight....??

About a dozen of them, if that......must have been a slow news day.....:rolleyes:

I can see sometimes how it looks to outsiders OM , horses injured  and whips are so emotive . I do think whips will be gone in 10 years  or racing needs to front foot it and say right we have these rules re whip , they are stringent and we police them hard and then go and  police them hard., Train the jocks in there use yearly ,no different to say a police officer re classifies in their various tools. To be fair I used be be a fan of Aintree GN , but went off it for a while as it dawned on me the drop at Beechers was unfair , the Chair way over the top.  The authorities modernised it to a certain extent due to public opinion  , made it fairer , worked with RSPCA and things seem to have got better and I doubt many hardened national hunt fans would want old national sized fences and drops back.

That being said in terms of animal cruelty I personally think racing is way down list of issues , arrival of horse ambulances here a winner ( 50 mill would have paid for couple more ) .

3 hours ago, High Sparrow said:

Shaun McKay was one lucky (and unlucky) young man when Whatsup came down in race 6 at Trentham today. He was very lucky not to be seriously injured as it happened so suddenly. I felt that Effervescent's move inward was a contributing factor and will be interested to see if the Stipes' Report mentions reminding one Leith Innes (Effervescent) about his obligations on keeping a straight line as his mount came right across the other horse's heels just before Whatsup clipped his hind legs and fell as a result of the tight quarters created. Earlier both horses had moved in and out respectively and looked to have a slight bump so there may have been contributory factors had the fall happened earlier but from what I saw it did seem that Effervecent changed ground quite abruptly (if you watch the strip of light green turf at the time then you'll see how far he drifts inward) and I didn't see too much corrective action coming from Leith until several strides after his horse had been clipped from behind by the faller. I think that was worth a reminder to Leith in the circumstances and just glad to see no one was seriously hurt. The safety of the jockeys is paramount for mine. Here's the video if anyone wants to throw an opinion out or share their thoughts...https://loveracing.nz/RaceInfo#bm-meeting-racereplays

Very Careless on Leiths part...should get a holiday for that! :rcfe-dislike:

Totally agree Baz. A decent suspension but given the circumstances I think that was  a good reminder to all jockeys that it only takes a few seconds of careless riding to to ruin another rider's life or perhaps cost them it. Good to see the stipes picked it up. Safety is a paramount. I never have a problem with them calling off a meeting if the jockeys think it's getting dangerous. It's their livelihoods and their lives and too many times I've heard punters, owners or trainers whinging about a meeting being called off - showing a disregard for the jockeys' well-being. These "grandstand jockeys" as I call them - have little idea of how dangerous it can be on a racehorse and I dare say if they rode a horse with its feet splaying in all directions, they'd promptly have second thoughts. Happy Punting people despite the TAB's best efforts to make it more complicated than it should be. 

28 minutes ago, Baz (NZ) said:

Yep...back a few decades they would knock each other down for fun!.... on and off the track! :rcf-laughing-2::rcf-laughing-2:

They reckon on average a jump jockey in UK or Ireland will have a fall one in every ten or so rides , AP Mccoy rode 200 plus winners a season a few times , that's a lot of rides to do that,  equals a lot of falls over hard fences, equals one tough hombre.And the journeyman riding dicey novice chasers on a cold Monday at 100 to 1 are tougher.

2 minutes ago, Fartoomuch said:

AP had the choice of 6 or 8 every race though RedRum:rcfe-happy-2:

Dead right there FTM but he got every bit of juice out a horse when it came to it a fight. He was never whip happy , just bloody strong  up the straight.He was like Scudamore and Dunwoody in that he got that retainer with Martin Pipe early on in career. Rode horses that were totally  fit to go and made the pace in races  and didn't stop. 

1 minute ago, Red Rum said:

Dead right there FTM but he got every bit of juice out a horse when it came to it a fight. He was never whip happy , just bloody strong  up the straight.He was like Scudamore and Dunwoody in that he got that retainer with Martin Pipe early on in career. Rode horses that were totally  fit to go and made the pace in races  and didn't stop. 

You beat.me too it re Peter Scudamore and  Martin .Pipe. 

One of the greatest combos you will ever see in National.Hunt.

Hard to.go.past for any punter in that era.

6 minutes ago, Fartoomuch said:

You beat.me too it re Peter Scudamore and  Martin .Pipe. 

One of the greatest combos you will ever see in National.Hunt.

Hard to.go.past for any punter in that era.

Haha early season July / August  , novice and 3 year old hurdles Newton Abbot and Exeter fast ground , Scudamore and Pipe , like printing money. Pipe had the  high quality horses as well though for  when  season really kicked into gear . Sabin Du Loiir in Scudamore era  was brilliant and the   Freddie Starr  (the famous hamster eater from Sun newspapers  legendary headline)  owned Minnehoma in Dunwoody's era.

Speaking of which. No doubt you will all know of the At The Races site in the UK. Brilliant. Info galore, pull down menus to the minutae of a horse's racing life (wind surgeries even) - just what you need in the way of information. I waded through it the other day and enjoyed the choices available. I've already started looking at opening an account over there because I'm definitely off betting on NZ races at present with this TAB website fiasco. Can afford a couple more coffees or a couple of nice fresh fillets, so every cloud has a silver lining I guess.

33 minutes ago, High Sparrow said:

Speaking of which. No doubt you will all know of the At The Races site in the UK. Brilliant. Info galore, pull down menus to the minutae of a horse's racing life (wind surgeries even) - just what you need in the way of information. I waded through it the other day and enjoyed the choices available. I've already started looking at opening an account over there because I'm definitely off betting on NZ races at present with this TAB website fiasco. Can afford a couple more coffees or a couple of nice fresh fillets, so every cloud has a silver lining I guess.

Racing Post form even the the  free option  very good . Horses been running in PTP the forms there as well. Iam having more and more bets on account over there , big races that are not on Trackside get uploaded quick on you tube . The new Racing TV quite good for that.All highlights Irish racing gets uploaded quick on Irish horse racing you tube channel  and full replays of Meydan on you tube within an hour or two. 

Click on the dam , siblings all there , sale prices , form for them . Way way way too good compared with new Tab site.All changes trainers , wind surgeries , on and on .

Hey thanks for the heads-up Red Rum, I will be sure to check it out. Having that much info at my fingertips will be a treat and you can get right into the detail or it all - and I'm a real student of form in that respect - I love the analysis side of racing even if it doesn't all go according to my Master Plan.