RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
uneasy

Open class horses

Interesting that four of the Telegraph contenders including the top weight have all come out of the open sprint at Wingatui on Boxing Day; two of them previous Telegraph winners. That race must be worthy of an upgrade sometime soon. Incidentally who are the sponsors of the Telegraph? Are they some sort of big international company I have never heard of? They have done it for a few years now.

1 hour ago, uneasy said:

Leo is right how could Flying Sardine get a bigger penalty 3 points for winning a mares WFA at  Hokitika than Consensus 2 points did for a Group 3 at Trentham That's right South Island horses get harsher penalties

...a ' WFA'  with apprentice allowances....wtf?

Probably stating obvious but big breeders seem to have biggest  say in industry here . The tail wags dog here somewhat. A gelding bar what value it's success my put on a younger sibling at sales is worth nothing to breeding industry , it follows that once sold and money in bank ,  if raced in NZ they would want it slammed out of industry to make way for the mares to get blacktype for restocking and the cycle continues. It's so sale driven and export driven . Karaka will be on TV one national news , hand on heart ive never ever seen horses sales make local news anywhere else I've been in world and they sell for many sums more at Tatts Newmarket, let alone national news. I've never seen it in mainstream press anywhere else.Quite frankly a mainstream punter don't give a toss how much a horse costs , it's a name in racebook that's all with form attached.

We are not a big  punting nation that's the issue so keeping geldings filling fields not main concern to head honchos I'd guess when Breeder can snag a weak blacktype race somewhere .

6 minutes ago, poundforpound said:

Keeping every possible horse healthy, sound and racing should be our #1 priority given that each and every runner ( on average ) earns the entire tricode industry revenue said to be in excess of $15,000 ( per start.)

Thats the post of the year - so far

13 hours ago, poundforpound said:

Keeping every possible horse healthy, sound and racing should be our #1 priority given that each and every runner ( on average ) earns the entire tricode industry revenue said to be in excess of $15,000 ( per start.)

A real shame owners don't receive even a 10th of that per start! :rcf-thinking-1:

48 minutes ago, uneasy said:

Right, as per NZTR rating site

Open class R100+

There are less than 25

That's well below what I thought. How many actually still in training , might be lower even than 25 . The NZTR records are poor. I just had a check , a horse that's been dead a while is still shown in training so that's bit untidy in the bookkeeping . How often do they ask for stable returns ? 

On ‎1‎/‎20‎/‎2019 at 7:05 PM, uneasy said:

Right, as per NZTR rating site

Open class R100+

There are less than 25

Well uneasy that's the system we have and most supported it when this system was introduced . The drop back system is why we have so few open class horses . If we turn the clock back far enough we had at one time only three basic classes , maidens , hacks and open , win a mdn then 3 hacks and you were open class for ever , that system worked for 70 years plus .

If you look at Wingatui on Thursday , Secret Power , Bally Bay , What's up alf , Hoofbeat , BridgetTown and Cairnsville would have been in open company for life , today they are R82 and R65 , if the old system was still in place we could have at least 100 probably 250 open class gallopers in NZ . I don't know if today is better or not but the system is the reason we have so few genuine open class gallopers . Under the old system the bulk of the Wellington cup field would have been classed as open class , one of the exceptions was Gorbachev .