RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
doric68

Winner disqualified to 2nd

I couldn't agree more. That was a travesty. The winner should have been relegated to fourth because the three horses outside him were cannoned into and had their chances severely affected as a result. The narrowness of the margins coupled with the fact that Opie made no attempt to straighten the horse up made this decision one of the worst I have seen in 50 years of involvement with racing. 

38 minutes ago, High Sparrow said:

I couldn't agree more. That was a travesty. The winner should have been relegated to fourth because the three horses outside him were cannoned into and had their chances severely affected as a result. The narrowness of the margins coupled with the fact that Opie made no attempt to straighten the horse up made this decision one of the worst I have seen in 50 years of involvement with racing. 

The Stewards Report is out and Opie has neither a suspension or fine

High Sparrow Prise De Fer was on one rein in the last 100m of the race. Very difficult for Opie to straighten him up. However the wider issue for me is that any other rider would have been either fined or suspended. We need a Messara type report into the RIU and the JCA. Yet again we see an A Lister like Opie get the velvet glove treatment from these bodies while for lack of a better term B Listers like Trudy Thornton and Bridget Grylls get the iron fist treatment. I have no beef with Opie. I consider him to be the best rider in NZ. However it is high time that the RIU and the JCA treated every licence holder equally.

1 hour ago, kdt said:

The Stewards Report is out and Opie has neither a suspension or fine

Protected species--Waddell or C Johnson would have copped 6 months.Interesting that Williamson recommended greater sanction as all of the other 3 were hampered but some guy Dooley (when was he a jockey or hands-on racing man?) disagreed.

I believe Opie Bosson is about to commence a suspension for a careless riding charge earlier in the week. Jason Waddell has picked up a very nice ride as a result at the upcoming Wellington meeting.

The criterion for a change of placing is that the horse interfered with would have beaten the horse that caused the interference.

The JCA obviously decided that the second horse would have done so, but not the 3rd or 4th.. That they were severely interfered with was/is not, in itself, justification for relegation.

An interesting case, indeed. 

In France the horse would have been disqualified to last. Can't understand why the horse wasn't put back to at least 4th. It interfered with the 2nd who cannoned into the third and 4th as a consentina. Also Opie was on one reign and it was shifting out. Why didn't he swap over the whip into his left hand. Should have been suspended. Cost the place getters a purse, cost the punters a pure result, and has once again created uncomfortable discussion. A joke once again.

I just watched the video. Interesting case. I guess the thing is the interference happened really close to the finish, actually hard to line up just where the finish line is on the head on. Certainly going by the margins it is hard to say that the 2nd horse was denied a winning chance, but not the others. Quite an unusual case really.

10 hours ago, Jape said:

I believe Opie Bosson is about to commence a suspension for a careless riding charge earlier in the week. Jason Waddell has picked up a very nice ride as a result at the upcoming Wellington meeting.

The criterion for a change of placing is that the horse interfered with would have beaten the horse that caused the interference.

The JCA obviously decided that the second horse would have done so, but not the 3rd or 4th.. That they were severely interfered with was/is not, in itself, justification for relegation.

An interesting case, indeed. 

I backed In a Twinkling so obviously wasn't happy with the result. He was coming home hard when he was cannoned into by Pikes horse which effectively stopped Coleman using the whip... hard to say whether he would have got up or not but certainly stopped momentum.

Dooley on jc a.  Always very good the dealings I have had with him.very competent and measured.it was never going to be easy one but I wouldn't bag him .has had a lot of hands on experience.u can't please everyone all the time but personally I have confidence when I walk into a jc a inquiry I'm going to get a fair outcome.mightnt like it though.

16 hours ago, gubellini said:

I agree that Opie is the best rider in NZ. Personally Chris Johnson is my favourite - the Lester Pigggottof NZ racing in terms of his balance on a horse and they run for him because he gets them balanced and the other thing I like about Chris is that he doesn't knock them about when they are doing their best. Opie is a superb rider and he put that horse through a needle eye gap but then didn't correct him when he first started to run out and bumped the horse next to him which then had a cannoning effect on the others and definitely impeded their chances.  Here's the video for those interested: https://loveracing.nz/RaceInfo#bm-meeting-racereplays

The head-on is very telling in my humble opinion. I totally agree with you that everyone should be treated equally and this does not appear to have happened in this instance. Unbelievable he never got suspended.

2 hours ago, Leggy said:

Hard to see how the first two could be reversed without the winner being put back to 4th. Very odd decision going by the available vision.

Exactly. After the race I sent a text to a mate saying the winner would get relegated to fourth. 

Interesting that the same trainer had to speak on behalf of the original winner and the 4th horse. Not very convincing re the winner, mentioning that the horse was inexperienced, which is irrelevant, and saying he was "not sure" if the other horses would have got past him. Probably safe to say that CWJ would have got six weeks if he had been the jockey and did that.