RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
JackSprat

The Fixer Fixed Up

Q. Why would the best (or at least the second best) stayer in the country sit last and never look like being interested in making a mid-race move on a 61 second middle half?

A. When he's out for a workout in preparation for an Australian trip!

Conclusion: Possibly the most blatant "I'm just here for the workout" drive I've ever seen.

Full disclosure: I had a small trifecta on the race - Turn It Up to win, The Fixer to run 2nd, Star Galleria for 3rd), so technically I'm talking through my pocket.

9 hours ago, JackSprat said:

Q. Why would the best (or at least the second best) stayer in the country sit last and never look like being interested in making a mid-race move on a 61 second middle half?

Conclusion: Possibly the most blatant "I'm just here for the workout" drive I've ever seen.

Full disclosure: I had a small trifecta on the race - Turn It Up to win, The Fixer to run 2nd, Star Galleria for 3rd), so technically I'm talking through my pocket.

Thats an interesting observation of the race and the way it panned out. Given the draw im sure if she had taken off mid race ended parked and blew out the last bit on a 26.5 second final 400  how would you and others assess that drive,

Greg

Good to see the Nelson RIU team were not asleep at the wheel even if i personally think he should have got longer. Disgraceful performance IMHO

KHAL DROGO - challenged for the lead from the 1100 metres and continued to do so until weakening nearing the 500 metres finishing a distant last. A post-race veterinary examination revealed no clinical abnormalities. Stewards questioned Driver G Smith and Trainer P Scott in regards to the tactics Mr Smith adopted when challenging for the lead for an extended period of time from the 1100 metres. After considering the explanation of both parties, Stewards issued Mr Smith with a charge under Rule 869(3)(g) alleging he drove in a manner capable of diminishing his horse's chances of winning. After hearing evidence from Stewards, Mr Smith and Mr Scott, the JCA found the charge proven and suspended Mr Smith's Horseman's Licence from the conclusion of racing on 13 January up to and including 27 January (5 days)

1 hour ago, JJ Flash said:

Thats an interesting observation of the race and the way it panned out. Given the draw im sure if she had taken off mid race ended parked and blew out the last bit on a 26.5 second final 400  how would you and others assess that drive,

Greg

You do realise that we're talking about The Fixer here? An outstanding stayer that's been nigh on unbeatable all season!

Yet chose not to participate in the race!

1 hour ago, JJ Flash said:

Greg

Like we got run for our money.   Only had to go past a couple  to get on the pace and would have had a much better chance from there on a final 26.5 last 400

13 hours ago, JackSprat said:

Possibly the most blatant "I'm just here for the workout" drive I've ever seen.

If you want to see a "Workout" drive and you havnt seen it yet watch this at the Central Otago meeting on the 2nd Jan. Balraj driven by Craig Thornly Hot fav in 7 horse filed and goes 4 back on the rails. `Week excuse given and punters left out of pocket and wondering again by Stipes.

https://infohorse.hrnz.co.nz/datahr/results/010249rs.htm#Race3

20 hours ago, JackSprat said:

This is really only one step away from race fixing SO it warrants attention from those paid to police corrupt practice.

We all know whats happened but we resent not being aware of when.

Q .......... If the race had been worth a Million would it have been any different. There's your answer then.

Just watch those KARAKA races at Ellerslie if you doubt it.

Strange stats for one who doesn't like winning.

Natalie Rasmussen
(13Jan@06:23)
Trainer/Driver Search
  Licence: Public Trainer(Pship), Open Driver
  Colours: Colours    Colours   
Driver Statistics:   (Lifetime - wins/placings) Trainer Stats
Season   Start 1st 2nd 3rd $ UDR
2019 Open Driver 34 19 3 3 930,416 .6373
  Trot: 0 0 0 0    
2018 Open Driver 89 43 14 7 1,794,031 .5968
  Trot: 4 2 1 0    
2017 Open Driver 90 48 16 11 1,596,448 .6728
  Trot: 1 0 0 1    
2016 Open Driver 65 19 19 11 984,061 .5111
  Trot: 5 0 2 1    
2015 Open Driver 134 48 26 18 1,208,216 .5108
  Trot: 25 6 4 4    
2014 Open Driver 94 43 15 13 900,999 .5922
  Trot: 6 2 2 0    
2013 Open Driver 66 11 13 7 300,547 .3114
  Trot: 10 0 4 0    
2012 Open Driver 44 9 8 5 307,102 .3434
  Trot: 3 1 0 0    
2011 Overseas Open Driver 3 0 2 0 129,000 .3704
Lifetime:
Starts: 619          Trot: 54         
1st: 240          Trot: 11         
2nd: 116          Trot: 13         
3rd: 75   Trot: 6         
Stakes: 8,150,819         
UDR: .5322         

9 hours ago, Stables said:

Janitor, I was responding to Harewoods previous post regarding Balraj

I see. Sorry for the confusion. I thought you were talking about Ms Rasmussen one of the best horse trainer/drivers in Australasia and arguably the best driver in NZ.

22 hours ago, JackSprat said:

Are we surprised? Not at all.

The mere thought of questioning the All Stars would send shockwaves through the stipes room!

Absolute nonsensical post re AS with no factual basis behind it. But as always you are entitled to your opinion and others to theirs   Lee's stats sort of suggest you might be on the wrong track though re Driver

Its off to Oz now Jack so with this blot on its form line you may get better odds next start especially in this race. From AS webpage(Cruz Bromac and Thefixer February 23 sprints -March 2 Miracle Mile} So it must be a sprinter as well as a stayer. my type of horse

2 hours ago, Lee270744 said:

Strange stats for one who doesn't like winning.

Natalie Rasmussen
(13Jan@06:23)
Trainer/Driver Search
  Licence: Public Trainer(Pship), Open Driver
  Colours: Colours    Colours   
Driver Statistics:   (Lifetime - wins/placings) Trainer Stats
Season   Start 1st 2nd 3rd $ UDR
2019 Open Driver 34 19 3 3 930,416 .6373
2018 Open Driver 89 43 14 7 1,794,031 .5968
  Trot: 4 2 1 0    
2017 Open Driver 90 48 16 11 1,596,448 .6728
  Trot: 1 0 0 1    
2016 Open Driver 65 19 19 11 984,061 .5111
  Trot: 5 0 2 1    
2015 Open Driver 134 48 26 18 1,208,216 .5108
  Trot: 25 6 4 4    
2014 Open Driver 94 43 15 13 900,999 .5922
  Trot: 6 2 2 0    
2013 Open Driver 66 11 13 7 300,547 .3114
  Trot: 10 0 4 0    
2012 Open Driver 44 9 8 5 307,102 .3434
  Trot: 3 1 0 0    
2011 Overseas Open Driver 3 0 2 0 129,000 .3704
Lifetime:
Starts: 619          Trot: 54         
1st: 240          Trot: 11         
2nd: 116          Trot: 13         
3rd: 75   Trot: 6         
Stakes: 8,150,819         
UDR: .5322         

This thread is about her tactics in one particular race, not her overall ability which is beyond question.

Is it just me or are others noticing there is a general increase in driver scrutiny by bloggers since Inca. Horses and drivers not trying or being hidden in races is now a common theme but im not sure anything has really changed. Yes their are going to be some shockers by drivers but that's been happening since the game started.

I might also add that some horses in each and every race simply wont or cant get the optimum run. someone's always going to be 3-4 or 5 back on the fence

11 hours ago, Fartoomuch said:

Its off to Oz now Jack so with this blot on its form line you may get better odds next start especially in this race. 

Yeah right. Every man and his dog could see that they used this race as a workout. He'll start very short in every race he contests in Aus, and actually be driven to win!

22 hours ago, JackSprat said:

Yeah right. Every man and his dog could see that they used this race as a workout. He'll start very short in every race he contests in Aus, and actually be driven to win!

I hope he does very well in Ozzie races as Pauline Gillian is a lovely person as is her husband Stu. They put a lot into the game and have horses at numerous stables.

Greg

On 1/11/2019 at 9:14 PM, JackSprat said:

It seems you were trying to be cute trying to pick the trifecta in one !

I decided to watch the main Cambridge races , so also decided to have a very small trifecta and first four......and got both !

It was not rocket science to pick the winner in ONE.....arguably NZ's top horse with the ace draw.

And Star Galleria ,another top sprinter with tactical gate speed seen as the big danger should he try and grab the front early.

Then there was The Fixer ,  NZ cup winner ,fresh up with the outside draw........like the winner ,lightly raced plus mainly stand start history , maybe a little below others in not only fitness but in ring craft as well.

Without searching for info ,I read at least twice that The Fixer would need the race therefore it was highly unlikely he would be used up mid race to get handy.

Mark Purdon stated that his drive should win ,The Fixer probably wouldn't ,ditto Natalie. Plus Mark Purdon stated the 3rd horse would go well and be in the fight.

Not quite from the horses mouth ,but next best thing .

I took the 3 x purdon horses for 3rd and 4th as they rarely run badly.

Now you can scream and shout that The Fixer should have been driven with more urgency but the 2 x main chances came first and second and the rest finished roughly where they should have.

Very hard to pick a trifecta in one.Had The Fixer drawn 1 or 2 with no second row The Fixer would have been 3 rd.

It wasn't fit ,primed or screwed down !

My logic was that Turn It Up would lead without much fuss and as nobody was good enough to pester him in front there would be little pace on mid-race, so The Fixed would cruise around and sit out side him, and they'd sprint home in 26 in a world of their own, with Star Galleria running home the best of the rest for 3rd.

I took a $10 trifecta for them to finish in that order. No big deal. But I would have liked to got a run for my money.

We now know that Mark had little interest in leading, but the race still panned out speedwise pretty much as expected. The real surprise of the race however was that a 61 second middle half wasn't enough to entice a NZ Cup winner to make a strategic move forward, get a nice easy time in the death, and sprint up a sharp quarter at the end of the race .... just like he does in trackwork!

If he wasn't "screwed down" enough to be driven more positively than he was in such a slowly run race he had no business being in that race, and is wasting his time going to Australia .... but we all know that's not true!

As I said originally - that was the most blatant "I'm just here for the workout" drive I've ever seen. And I've been around a while.

My therory JS is that MP did intend to lead & slow the pace to let The  Fixer come round on a cheap quarter and your first scenario would play out as expected.  When it became apparent Herlihy wasn’t giving up the lead without a fight he popped into the trail.    I can only assume Nat didn’t want to come round so as not to risk getting a tough run if the pace went on again.                                                  I think I heard MP say in a pre race interview he expected The Fixer to get into the race if there was a moderate quarter.    I guess he thought he would be the one controlling the pace when he said that.