Red Rum

Reefton

31 posts in this topic

I quite like the idea of claimers here if they can't have a proper handicapping system. That is really a self handicapping system and I like betting on them. It would certainly provide opportunities for sound older horses like the above to race on at a level where they can win, as well as provide more opportunity for slower lower grade ones.

51 minutes ago, Leggy said:

I quite like the idea of claimers here if they can't have a proper handicapping system. That is really a self handicapping system and I like betting on them. It would certainly provide opportunities for sound older horses like the above to race on at a level where they can win, as well as provide more opportunity for slower lower grade ones.

They have been running what they call hybrid races in UK.    Optional Claiming Handicaps . For that you need decent handicap scheme. Guts is enter horse , if you want x amount off its back its then in for claim, the more you want off the back the lower the price horse is in for claim. So connections can max out weight relief but risk losing horse cheaper, or you just run off your allocated weight safe in knowledge horse cannot be claimed.

25 minutes ago, tim vince said:

Trainers don't like claimers.lose their meal ticket and no 10 percent clip

That's short sighted I think if it lets them place horces where they can win and they should get 10% of any claim.

14 hours ago, Red Rum said:

They have been running what they call hybrid races in UK.    Optional Claiming Handicaps . For that you need decent handicap scheme. Guts is enter horse , if you want x amount off its back its then in for claim, the more you want off the back the lower the price horse is in for claim. So connections can max out weight relief but risk losing horse cheaper, or you just run off your allocated weight safe in knowledge horse cannot be claimed.

Personally, I would just prefer a decent handicapping system which allows older geldings,  and the more moderate types to find their level,  but still be able to race competitively.

Your 'hybrid' races sound a good idea however. My dislike of pure claimers  [ unprofessional, sure, but I'm not the only one who thinks that way ] is that a cherished stable member may find itself going somewhere you would rather it didn't.

Most races in states in harness and galloping are claimed.the handicapping should take in some allowance for old age.u generally don't get better as u get older.dont see many 50 year olds in the all blacks.