RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
The White Poodle

New years wish..

I believe this post should be viewed as it is the most common sense suggestion or post in a long while.

May all the cafers have a brilliant New Year and may racing be honest and heaps of fun.

Do you think it would be wise for the  future of Greyhound racing to have your Board adress the number of dogs being born in keeping with the maximum numbers factually that can be rehomed?. As an observer an lover of animals, I see the present problem is greed for the sake of a Dollar rather than common sense and the welfare of these lovely, graceful dogs that are now being abused in a way....Keep on the path you are at present and the smart ones making all the money in time will dissapear and unfortunately take every one down with them... 

• Like 6

Poodle, good to see you have identified your purpose of posting.

What I reckon is that;  greyhounds are the most protected breed of dog in the world, that all of the people that get involved in the industry do so because they are instinctive animal lovers, that greyhounds are not abused by the system or the participants and that the average greyhound has far better diet, living condition, exercise regime and ability to fulfill it's genetic makeup than the average dog of all the other breeds.

In saying that if you investigate any breed of animal from any culture in the world you will find instances

where humans have not met their obligations and greyhounds do not escape those statistics.

I agree with you on this White poodle, I am a passionate animal lover myself, I have pet dogs and cats and also shares in racing dogs.

While I love to see my dogs compete my priority as an owner is always welfare first and my trainers know this.

I believe that there are a very small portion of breeders - only 3-4 in the country that are acting irresponsibly and selfishly.  I know that GRNZ have tried to address this but have met conflict from breeders, concerned only with their immediate pocket rather than the longevity of the sport & the long term welfare of their dogs.

I hope in the New Year that GRNZ can show some strength - get their lawyers involved if necessary and get these few under control for the good of us all - but especially our dogs.

Maybe  a  complete freeze on breeding and importing of dogs for a time to allow some form of control at some point.  If we want  our dogs to race and live longer this could help solve what I see presently is the main problem facing the sport. The imbalance of dogs being bred versus the amount able to be kept a live and rehomed MUST be addressed,  sooner the better.