RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
crustyngrizzly

crowd at Matamata

6 hours ago, tripple alliance said:

Do you  think 4000 attended ?? , could it have been more ? , ''IF'' 4000 was the number then on course punters invested an average $46.75 per person on the day .  $46.75  spent on 8 races means on course punters  averaged $5.85 per person per race , luckily for these clubs NZTR bank rolls the stakes .

Only issue TA is they didn’t invest in the first 3 races as the  tote win pool was $14k for the first 2 races and not much more for the 3rd.

We have posters above saying it’s because no one gets to the races till after the first ( the gates were shut before 12pm, so nothing to do with it) and others saying Holiday punters love to invest in small fields because they get a return more likely. 

Remember that this is a Holiday venue and large numbers of kids attend so having crowd numbers is not a good guide either.

15 hours ago, barryb said:

WTF Army, are you an apologist for shitful sized fields on a prime race day?.

The on course turnover tells me that the first 3 races were shit as any intelligent person would expect for 5 horse fields.

If you think 3 races with less than $20k is a good day then its no wonder NZ Racing is farked.

Firstly Barry B I dont beleive in small fields and if the power to be set a mini,um number for a race to be had we wouldnt have the small fields. You can be in a filed of 5 run last and still get a stake that is stupid. Both Matamata and Taupo only had 10000 races except for the cup perhaps if it was higher there may have been more. Then at Matamata Saturday and Taupo Sunday there was a madian 1200 Matamata had 9 Taupo 5 so why programme 2 of the same races 2 days in a row within easy travelling. As I said before the programme needs to be chucked out except for Prem days and brought into this Century. How often do you see Race courses in close proximatery racing in the same week. For example  Rotorua ThursdayMatamata Saturday Taupo  Sunday Tauranga Wednesday and Thames at Te Aroha Thurday so with a compact area there are 5 meetings. They need to be spread out becasue we all pull horses from the same area.  It would be a bit like Elleslie  Avondale and Counties all racing in same week. The programme needs attention. Last but not least I gather you are connected to Te Rapa and as I said I went there on the 22nd December and there was no one there. The races that day stakes were 30000 or more so come on what was the turnover. Did it make as much as Taupo were your 30000 stakes justified compared to Taupo.

58 minutes ago, army said:

Firstly Barry B I dont beleive in small fields and if the power to be set a mini,um number for a race to be had we wouldnt have the small fields. You can be in a filed of 5 run last and still get a stake that is stupid. Both Matamata and Taupo only had 10000 races except for the cup perhaps if it was higher there may have been more. Then at Matamata Saturday and Taupo Sunday there was a madian 1200 Matamata had 9 Taupo 5 so why programme 2 of the same races 2 days in a row within easy travelling. As I said before the programme needs to be chucked out except for Prem days and brought into this Century. How often do you see Race courses in close proximatery racing in the same week. For example  Rotorua ThursdayMatamata Saturday Taupo  Sunday Tauranga Wednesday and Thames at Te Aroha Thurday so with a compact area there are 5 meetings. They need to be spread out becasue we all pull horses from the same areas had plenty of animationa.  It would be a bit like Elleslie  Avondale and Counties all racing in same week. The programme needs attention. Last but not least I gather you are connected to Te Rapa and as I said I went there on the 22nd December and there was no one there. The races that day stakes were 30000 or more so come on what was the turnover. Did it make as much as Taupo were your 30000 stakes justified compared to Taupo.

Totally agree with you,Over the last few days in this household we have been strongly  saying the same.

This business of 2 divvy races for the big stakes should be canned and money put towards race meetings that can support fields of 8 or more.

Having a 2000mt and 12/1400mt race for 30,000 plus on programme and drawing less than 7 horses is ridiculous'

Why not have a 1600mt which most could run in .If they can't,then can it altogether.

1 hour ago, army said:

The programme needs attention. Last but not least I gather you are connected to Te Rapa and as I said I went there on the 22nd December and there was no one there. The races that day stakes were 30000 or more so come on what was the turnover. Did it make as much as Taupo were your 30000 stakes justified compared to Taupo.

No I am not connected to Te Rapa, other than I go to most meetings there,  your point is irrelevant. Using the same logic you have would mean the NZ Derby races for $100k not $1m.

1 hour ago, barryb said:

Using the same logic you have would mean the NZ Derby races for $100k not $1m.

Which it should be if that's the net revenue it earns. Where else would you steal the money to run it for $1m?

3 hours ago, barryb said:

No I am not connected to Te Rapa, other than I go to most meetings there,  your point is irrelevant. Using the same logic you have would mean the NZ Derby races for $100k not $1m.

No where near what I was saying. I SAID THE PROGRAMME NEEDS TO COME INTO THE NEXT CENTURY AND TO LEAVE THE PAST BEHIND EXCEPT THE PREM RACES.  How the Derby comes into that only you now.  What I want to know Barry is what Te Rapa on course turnover was on the 22nd of December. I am sure you will know but arent willing to reveal it. Reason being Taupo is classed as and Industry day Te Rapa a Feature meeting. Then each club is on a Teir system for payment so therefor Te Rapa gets paid by NZTR double what Taupo get to run a race meeting. I would presume Te Rapa would also get a percentage of the tote which I doubt Taupo would. So if you front up with Te Rapas turnover did they get 187k on course. If not then that meeting at Te Rapa cost the industry money whereas Taupo made the Industry money.  If you also take into account the stakes that was paid out on these days Te  Rapa  was 182500  Taupo 106000 therefor a differnce of 76500 plus the extra payment made to Te Rapa means that for them to break even with Taupo as far as turnover goes they would need to around 233500 on course. So my statement is that it is not the smaller race clubs that is making NZTR struggle it is the bigger race clubs . Do you figures

5 minutes ago, barryb said:

Are you anti Te Rapa or something Army? I don't give a toss about what their turnover is or was.

I only read the first 2 lines & gave up, the rest was almost impossible to read & looked Jibber.

Nope not anti Te Rapa not anti any racecourse. You slamb dunked Taupo and their crowd but when you look at the so called dollar betters they brought money to the industry. And when it boils down to it that is the most important thing for racing. I dont normall attack people but you seem happy to do it so you can toddle back off to the ark ages where you obvioulsy live and we will get on with iving in the present not the past like you.

On 12/30/2018 at 9:53 PM, barryb said:

Most who go to Taupo every yr are $1 punters or non punters, the tote pools in the first 3 races were woeful. 

If thats slam (slamb) dunking Taupo, well then I pity the poor soft souls.

2 hours ago, army said:

No where near what I was saying. I SAID THE PROGRAMME NEEDS TO COME INTO THE NEXT CENTURY AND TO LEAVE THE PAST BEHIND EXCEPT THE PREM RACES.  How the Derby comes into that only you now.  What I want to know Barry is what Te Rapa on course turnover was on the 22nd of December. I am sure you will know but arent willing to reveal it. Reason being Taupo is classed as and Industry day Te Rapa a Feature meeting. Then each club is on a Teir system for payment so therefor Te Rapa gets paid by NZTR double what Taupo get to run a race meeting. I would presume Te Rapa would also get a percentage of the tote which I doubt Taupo would. So if you front up with Te Rapas turnover did they get 187k on course. If not then that meeting at Te Rapa cost the industry money whereas Taupo made the Industry money.  If you also take into account the stakes that was paid out on these days Te  Rapa  was 182500  Taupo 106000 therefor a differnce of 76500 plus the extra payment made to Te Rapa means that for them to break even with Taupo as far as turnover goes they would need to around 233500 on course. So my statement is that it is not the smaller race clubs that is making NZTR struggle it is the bigger race clubs . Do you figures

Pretty sure Taupo is an Industry Event day with their Cup race being on same day , so they's get the obligatory 8.5% on course turnover if that is the case.

I think its plain to see the smaller fields are occurring higher up the rating bands, the programming has moved with the times with regard to horse numbers higher up the ratings. I can still see the reasoning for having the smaller fields so a lot of these horses can get a run particularly because it most cases they are heading towards some other race down the line i.e. listed etc. It's already very tough to find races for horse R72 and above but some thought does need to be given to an alteration in programming to cater for the changes that have occurred over time. 

Personally I'd like to see less races in those bands but Prizemoney paid to 10th as an example to encourage more starters. Could go on an on about this forever but its just ridiculous it costs more to race your horse the better it becomes.

51 minutes ago, Huey said:

Pretty sure Taupo is an Industry Event day with their Cup race being on same day , so they's get the obligatory 8.5% on course turnover if that is the case.

Yes you might be right. And if they can get that crowd and that turnover they deserve a percentage off the tote

10 minutes ago, army said:

Yes you might be right. And if they can get that crowd and that turnover they deserve a percentage off the tote

All those smaller clubs do Army, running race meetings on blood sweat and tears. Taupo are probably lucky given their location , holiday sorts etc. But they still do a great job and good on them!

1 hour ago, Huey said:

Not according to my copy of the funding model. Listed as a tier 4 event? So the oncourse commission would have gone to subsidise other less successful days?

36 minutes ago, Leggy said:

Not according to my copy of the funding model. Listed as a tier 4 event? So the oncourse commission would have gone to subsidise other less successful days?

This is the one I'm looking at Leggy

https://loveracing.nz/nztr/resources/rules-directives-and-policies

Pg 17 bottom

Pg 18 point 17

pg 25 says Taupo is an Industry Event Cat 4

Well that's how I interpret it.

9 hours ago, barryb said:

Could apply that to most Group races in Aust/NZ.

I think most group races in Oz pay their way don't they and actually contribute revenue to lower level races? Here it's the other way around by a large margin, not that any of them pay their way.