RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
crustyngrizzly

crowd at Matamata

I was there today Crust and you could say the numbers were about an average Saturday.

Matamata during the middle of Holiday season defies logic of any sort. No attempt was made by the club to do anything special, reminded me of Xmas Racing last Sat at Te Rapa, not that you could tell.

The club format for Racing in this country is defunct,  anyone new to Racing today would have gone home thinking is that farking it, what a yawn.

The seats in the members stand are dirty, covered in dry rust and an embarrassment,  this is at one of the leading training areas in Australasia, you wouldn’t think so looking at the facilities.

11 hours ago, barryb said:

I was there today Crust and you could say the numbers were about an average Saturday.

Matamata during the middle of Holiday season defies logic of any sort. No attempt was made by the club to do anything special, reminded me of Xmas Racing last Sat at Te Rapa, not that you could tell.

The club format for Racing in this country is defunct,  anyone new to Racing today would have gone home thinking is that farking it, what a yawn.

The seats in the members stand are dirty, covered in dry rust and an embarrassment,  this is at one of the leading training areas in Australasia, you wouldn’t think so looking at the facilities.

Well I was there for race one and I was surprised how many people were there. There was quite a few out on the lawns and in the public area. I didnt go up into the members stand though. I was also at Te Rapa on the 22nd December and that was worse. I didnt arrive until race 4 but in the car park there was only 2 full rows of cars. The day was dead and there were not alot of people around.

1 hour ago, army said:

Well I was there for race one and I was surprised how many people were there. There was quite a few out on the lawns and in the public area. I didnt go up into the members stand though. I was also at Te Rapa on the 22nd December and that was worse. I didnt arrive until race 4 but in the car park there was only 2 full rows of cars. The day was dead and there were not alot of people around.

1 hour ago, army said:

I am not worried about Te Rapa. The question was the attendance at Matamata, or lack of.

The true answer would be on course turnover against last year.

8 hours ago, ivanthegreat said:

Crowds...mmmmmmmm I was there for the Moran Pick Six now that was a crowd.

I wasnt there for that but have all the photos. I was at home with my mother

8 hours ago, pole said:

I am not worried about Te Rapa. The question was the attendance at Matamata, or lack of.

The true answer would be on course turnover against last year.

As I said I was at matamata for race one and I was surprised at how many people were in the grass public area. Was also at Taupo today and what a huge crowd. Bigger than last year it would have been a massive day turnover I would say. All carparks were full

7 minutes ago, army said:

As I said I was at matamata for race one and I was surprised at how many people were in the grass public area. Was also at Taupo today and what a huge crowd. Bigger than last year it would have been a massive day turnover I would say. All carparks were full

Most who go to Taupo every yr are $1 punters or non punters, the tote pools in the first 3 races were woeful. 

3 minutes ago, barryb said:

Most who go to Taupo every yr are $1 punters or non punters, the tote pools in the first 3 races were woeful. 

1 4 horse field and 2 5 horse fields what do you expect,. It will be interesting to see turnover becasue at one stage I was in the office and there was a huge amount of efpost receips for bettin vouchers. These day how do you find out about turnover

8 hours ago, army said:

1 4 horse field and 2 5 horse fields what do you expect,. It will be interesting to see turnover becasue at one stage I was in the office and there was a huge amount of efpost receips for bettin vouchers. These day how do you find out about turnover

Well on a premier race day WTF are they doing with races like that? Seriously they programme a Sat meeting at Matamata in the middle of holiday season the day before. The crowd was no bigger than a normal Saturday meeting there.

Then a day later we see 5 runner or less races for the first 3 events, really going to capture turnover from a mega crowd that is.

Divide the crowd numbers by the turnover Ted mentions above and that indicates buckets of $1 on non punters. 

The next best country day is Wednesday at Tauherenikau & what do we see again, pathetically small fields for the first 3 races.

37 minutes ago, Insider said:

The once a year punters probably like the smaller fields. It’s easier for them to pick a winner is my guess. On the law of averages they will get one, possibility two, so everyone is a winner!

Did you look at the turnover in those races before you made that statement?. 

$1 punters don't give a toss about the quality of the field etc, but like all dreamers they want to outlay $1 and win $30, not possible to do that in a small field so they don't invest.

14 minutes ago, poundforpound said:

Don’t people bet on rugby, league, basketball, boxing ....... et al......aren’t they “two horse” fields ?

I’d have thought value is what drives punters, value in their eyes, something that gives them an edge 

JMO of course, and as I keep being told I know SFA 

Once a year race goers are hardly the types to outlay $2 on a $2.50 shot. 

The money they spent getting in the gate is more than they intend to spend on the days racing, interestingly those same people are exactly the types to outlay $28 on trying to win $22m on Wednesday night and not think twice about that.

3 hours ago, barryb said:

Well on a premier race day WTF are they doing with races like that? Seriously they programme a Sat meeting at Matamata in the middle of holiday season the day before. The crowd was no bigger than a normal Saturday meeting there.

Then a day later we see 5 runner or less races for the first 3 events, really going to capture turnover from a mega crowd that is.

Divide the crowd numbers by the turnover Ted mentions above and that indicates buckets of $1 on non punters. 

The next best country day is Wednesday at Tauherenikau & what do we see again, pathetically small fields for the first 3 races.

That was a good turnover and I reckon that turnover would have been better than the one at Te Rapa on the 22nd of December. Then there was the gate charge so over all Taupo had a good day. As for the small fields well if the so called people setting the fields for race meeting put on their glasses and had a look at what was going on in the Racing Industry those small fields would be eliminated. But no they just say thats what it ewas like last year so that is what it is like this year. Get rid of the oldand put people in there that can adjust to the times and step out of their comfort zone and  not just do the same old same old and say it worked 50 years ago so it will work now. Dream on

8 hours ago, poundforpound said:

All today’s “country” meetings seemed to have huge crowds

And that is why they should be doing more Saturdays in the country area it is a novelty so they make a point of going. Ellselie and Te Rapa struggle for crowds at times because they over do the racing arent atrracting new punters so it is just the same ol same old most of the time. 

6 hours ago, barryb said:

Once a year race goers are hardly the types to outlay $2 on a $2.50 shot. 

The money they spent getting in the gate is more than they intend to spend on the days racing, interestingly those same people are exactly the types to outlay $28 on trying to win $22m on Wednesday night and not think twice about that.

Barry Know-All, who did then invest the 187k on course if it wasn’t the holiday crowd?

I didn’t notice a TAB marquee filled with their Premiere Clients or whatever they are called?

32 minutes ago, Insider said:

Barry Know-All, who did then invest the 187k on course if it wasn’t the holiday crowd?

I didn’t notice a TAB marquee filled with their Premiere Clients or whatever they are called?

Not a know-all, just someone who looked before mouthing, which you clearly didn't.

In future do some research before shouting off crap you NO nothing about.

Just too help you out, The win pools in the first 3 races weren't even $20k each, combined on and off course for the tote. Hugely sucessful, NOT.

22 minutes ago, barryb said:

Not a know-all, just someone who looked before mouthing, which you clearly didn't.

In future do some research before shouting off crap you NO nothing about.

Just too help you out, The win pools in the first 3 races weren't even $20k each, combined on and off course for the tote. Hugely sucessful, NOT.

Barry, you are assuming that all the people were on-course from the very first race. 

They never are hence the reason the clubs programe the smaller fields first.

I still think that  holiday racegoers are happy with the small fields as it gives them a win or a place more often, and thus churn happens, even if they are limited in their spend for the day.

I have been on the committee of a club and I know what happens when a string of outsiders come in. The churn stops and thus the total turnover, especially on-course.

6 minutes ago, Insider said:

Barry, you are assuming that all the people were on-course from the very first race. 

They never are hence the reason the clubs programe the smaller fields first.

I still think that  holiday racegoers are happy with the small fields as it gives them a win or a place more often, and thus churn happens, even if they are limited in their spend for the day.

I have been on the committee of a club and I know what happens when a string of outsiders come in. The churn stops and thus the total turnover, especially on-course.

I have been going to Taupo for 20 yrs, 95% of race goers are there before the first race, in fact long before.

If you think small fields suit holiday people then you are deluded. Small fields benefit no one.

I dont know what your problem is Barry B. The on course turnover tells the story and it wasnt through $1 bets. And it doesnt matter what sort of better it is the money and turnover was good which when it boils down to it is good for the Industry. Can you name many other race days that have done that kind of turnover since type beginning of December. I bet there are hardly any if any. The people turned up paid their money to get in and had a good day betting on the totes what more could the indsutry ask for

WTF Army, are you an apologist for shitful sized fields on a prime race day?.

The on course turnover tells me that the first 3 races were shit as any intelligent person would expect for 5 horse fields.

If you think 3 races with less than $20k is a good day then its no wonder NZ Racing is farked.

43 minutes ago, army said:

The people turned up paid their money to get in and had a good day betting on the totes what more could the indsutry ask for

The industry could ask for much larger fields in the first 3 races, turnover would have been another $60k, but thats lost on you.

They schedule a meeting at Matamata on a prime Saturday FFS, brainless.

On ‎12‎/‎30‎/‎2018 at 10:47 PM, rdytdy said:

Taupo had a huge day. On course turnover $187K. They had to close the public and members gates and people had to park elsewhere and walk in. Great day's racing and happy crowd.

Do you  think 4000 attended ?? , could it have been more ? , ''IF'' 4000 was the number then on course punters invested an average $46.75 per person on the day .  $46.75  spent on 8 races means on course punters  averaged $5.85 per person per race , luckily for these clubs NZTR bank rolls the stakes .