RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
firepipe

Boxing Day racing

Don't know what the turnover was but once upon a time Boxing Day was a must attend event now it's an every day run of the mill event.

They mucked around with  history and its been downhill ever since never to climb back to its lofty heights of years gone by.

In saying that, Racing isn't the only sport experiencing similar outcomes.

The torrid rain storms over previous week ,especially the last 2 days saw predictable scratchings at Ellerslie.....yes shocking fields at Awapuni ...but Ellerslie was buzzing from where I stood.Excellent crowd enjoying pretty good weather with plenty of food and drink sales and a bit of punting as well.

Quite a buzz to the place......over 5,000 pre-sales for food and beverage ,and the crowd on lawn and in public stand pretty good there plus in the tents around the back by the impressive new stables area.

Cant be too many days in NZ racing these days where that sort of crowd attends ,paying good coin to attend.

Even several hundred in in field.....not the thousands like the old days with BYO booze and own food but looked profitable to me.

The Place looked fantastic ,most dressed up with plenty of lipstick and the track held up well I believe.

Much to like about the day IMO.

They would be smart to move one of the good races from New Years Day to Boxing Day e.g. Auckland Guineas, because at the moment it's lacking depth for what was once one of our premier racedays. Why have a carnival/boxing day races if you're going to put all the main events on Jan 1. 

1 hour ago, eastern whipbird said:

Trentham, my home track for 40 years, now has wrecked its January carnival. 3 consecutive Saturdays with a final day without one decent race. Who is responsible for this fiasco?

In my opinion they had already recked it before they changed to the 3 Saturday format. 

3 hours ago, eastern whipbird said:

Trentham, my home track for 40 years, now has wrecked its January carnival. 3 consecutive Saturdays with a final day without one decent race. Who is responsible for this fiasco?

Come in Insider......:rolleyes:

2 hours ago, ivanthegreat said:

The enormity of what they have ruined can only be realised if you consider that the Xmas racing week supported enormous crowds at Alexandra Park for 3 nights as well.

Quite right Ivan. With the old programming of the Auckland Cups on New Years Eve at the Park and NYDay at Ellerslie, everyone knew where they stood and planned their visit accordingly. We used to get significant numbers from around NZ and particularly from the South Island who travelled up religiously every year. Once they started playing around with dates, because they "knew better " it stuffed up that whole Christmas holiday period.

5 hours ago, eastern whipbird said:

Not the Club!

The Date Committee is the answer, but I know most of you won’t accept what I say. 

On ‎12‎/‎27‎/‎2018 at 2:44 PM, mckenzie said:

They would be smart to move one of the good races from New Years Day to Boxing Day e.g. Auckland Guineas, because at the moment it's lacking depth for what was once one of our premier racedays. Why have a carnival/boxing day races if you're going to put all the main events on Jan 1. 

the day had a Group 1 WFA, a quality Group 2 fillies race. 2 other Listed races including the Uncle Remus which drew a smart field and one of the Dunstan Feeds finals......how is that lacking depth?