RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
Kloppite

TAB SSTs - software upgrade?

I use the SSTs at various TAB retail outlet and have found them ok to use.

Some time in the past week they appear to have upgraded the software - looks different.  I assumed that they must have made some improvements, but so far I haven't noticed any.  The only thing I've noticed is that after you've placed a bet on a race, you no longer have the option to place another bet on the same race.  You either have to end the session (ie. get your voucher printed) or you can choose Place Another Bet, but this option takes you right back to the Racing screen and you have to choose your meeting and your race all over again.  This is slightly painful.

So instead of improving the experience they appear to have made it worse.

Anyone else notice this?  Anyone spot any improvements?

1 minute ago, Kloppite said:

Some time in the past week they appear to have upgraded the software - looks different.  I assumed that they must have made some improvements, but so far I haven't noticed any.  The only thing I've noticed is that after you've placed a bet on a race, you no longer have the option to place another bet on the same race.  You either have to end the session (ie. get your voucher printed) or you can choose Place Another Bet, but this option takes you right back to the Racing screen and you have to choose your meeting and your race all over again.  This is slightly painful.

I had exactly the same problem, it drove me round the bend. 

Heavens knows how much they have spent on these antiquated machines. They always had a flaw in that for some reason everything was placed in one unit. There are about 5 distinct functions that if separated would allow 5 users at one time instead of one. e.g. betting, funding, payout determination. results query, scanning, eftpos etc.

Its like as long as it looks professional who cares if its not practical.

42 minutes ago, slam dunk said:

Heavens knows how much they have spent on these antiquated machines. They always had a flaw in that for some reason everything was placed in one unit. There are about 5 distinct functions that if separated would allow 5 users at one time instead of one. e.g. betting, funding, payout determination. results query, scanning, eftpos etc.

Its like as long as it looks professional who cares if its not practical.

Hopeless bloody things SD....and most of the Pub staff don't have a clue about working them either. Lost count of the number of times I have had to "educate" them, particularly on the intricacies of paying out....:rolleyes:

19 hours ago, Ohokaman said:

Hopeless bloody things SD....and most of the Pub staff don't have a clue about working them either. Lost count of the number of times I have had to "educate" them, particularly on the intricacies of paying out....:rolleyes:

With TAB's closing down in increasing numbers the $50 million spent on Fixed Odds Sports Bet Platform would be better spent on self service entertainment kiosks compatible to shopping malls. That would include silent TV screens with plenty of text overlays e.g. name of horse when doing preliminary. Audience having option to listen to audio on their personal phones. Betting terminals that interact with personal phones as well. So many options that can create a real entertainment experience and not just betting.. Doubt if the mall rental fees would be much if it brings in a  extra customers.

2 hours ago, slam dunk said:

With TAB's closing down in increasing numbers the $50 million spent on Fixed Odds Sports Bet Platform would be better spent on self service entertainment kiosks compatible to shopping malls. That would include silent TV screens with plenty of text overlays e.g. name of horse when doing preliminary. Audience having option to listen to audio on their personal phones. Betting terminals that interact with personal phones as well. So many options that can create a real entertainment experience and not just betting.. Doubt if the mall rental fees would be much if it brings in a  extra customers.

I would doubt you would be able to get tab machines in a mall in this country. 

19 hours ago, tonkatime said:

I would doubt you would be able to get tab machines in a mall in this country. 

Plenty Lotto shops in malls.  AS I said concentrate on entertainment rather than betting. An extra outlet to advertise sponsors products as well.

Its a disgrace that racing don't have  an outlet in Sylvia Park, Auckland considering the history. i.e. Sylvia Park stud where Carbine was bred. In fact the main road is called Carbine Road after the champ as well as a number of other roads there with that connection.

On 12/11/2018 at 1:15 PM, slam dunk said:

Plenty Lotto shops in malls.  AS I said concentrate on entertainment rather than betting. An extra outlet to advertise sponsors products as well.

I don’t disagree with you but I would think the chances of getting a tab machine or tab in a mall are close to none based on the fact the vocal minority will cause the mall owners to back out of it.

Lotto is marketed very well to your average kiwi, racing is not and it would take a huge effort to turn the perception around. 

11 hours ago, tonkatime said:

I don’t disagree with you but I would think the chances of getting a tab machine or tab in a mall are close to none based on the fact the vocal minority will cause the mall owners to back out of it.

Lotto is marketed very well to your average kiwi, racing is not and it would take a huge effort to turn the perception around. 

Simply put Lotto is viewed as if its gambling , just as rugby and netball aren't but they can all be gambling products, racing takes the gambling blame for them all.

5 hours ago, Huey said:

Simply put Lotto is viewed as if its gambling , just as rugby and netball aren't but they can all be gambling products, racing takes the gambling blame for them all.

The problem is that racing participants and administrators have all believed that gambling is the only source of revenue for racing. In England there is a separate national organisation that handles the business side of racetracks bit like a property management. The purpose of such a vehicle would be to maximise non gambling revenue and cut costs by sharing resources as well as marketing.

So many self professed business experts successful in their own fields but when they get into racing haven't a solitary good idea.

With a national organisation racing could have shops in every mall where gambling is just small part of it. A place where racing products such as shares, travel groups etc can be sold and displays setup for sponsors. There just has to be a winning formula minus the TAB.   In fact the TAB is a turnoff for sponsors.

On 12/9/2018 at 4:09 PM, Kloppite said:

If you go to next race on top row (1st touch on left) it allows you to bet on same race and also shows how much is in pools (good to find out what’s in f4 and quaddies) which the main screen no longer shows. Go to other races from this screen to allow multiple different bets on other races.

6 hours ago, slam dunk said:

The problem is that racing participants and administrators have all believed that gambling is the only source of revenue for racing. In England there is a separate national organisation that handles the business side of racetracks bit like a property management. The purpose of such a vehicle would be to maximise non gambling revenue and cut costs by sharing resources as well as marketing.

So many self professed business experts successful in their own fields but when they get into racing haven't a solitary good idea.

With a national organisation racing could have shops in every mall where gambling is just small part of it. A place where racing products such as shares, travel groups etc can be sold and displays setup for sponsors. There just has to be a winning formula minus the TAB.   In fact the TAB is a turnoff for sponsors.

Do it!!!