RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
modest mouse

Registrations

Come on dont keep us all ln suspense put a name to who it is . My guess it may be an ex CD kennel employee. Which wont be a bad thing as the northern region dog numbers have stagnated. If it wasnt for the likes of Opawa/Coles suppling dogs to northern kennels Auckland/Waikato would be struggling to fill certain grades.Punters HQ would of seen  an oppturnity to send dogs into the northern region.

4 minutes ago, bus stop said:

Come on dont keep us all ln suspense put a name to who it is . My guess it may be an ex CD kennel employee. Which wont be a bad thing as the northern region dog numbers have stagnated. If it wasnt for the likes of Opawa/Coles suppling dogs to northern kennels Auckland/Waikato would be struggling to fill certain grades.Punters HQ would of seen  an oppturnity to send dogs into the northern region.

I say this with no certainty what so ever, but have heard it might be mullane and Potts. Again. Only heard this through the very long grapevine I assume so do not know how accurate it is.

Wales dogs provide alot of depth up north. Not sure about the rest though. They seem to add to the growing number of sprinters

58 minutes ago, Rules For Some said:

I say this with no certainty what so ever, but have heard it might be mullane and Potts. Again. Only heard this through the very long grapevine I assume so do not know how accurate it is.

Wales dogs provide alot of depth up north. Not sure about the rest though. They seem to add to the growing number of sprinters

With the influx of the main two breeders sending their 2nd/3rd tier dogs North it will certainly weaken the grade of dog in the northern region wont be many cup contenders etc coming from that region apart from the Craiks who seem to get good results from the litters they rare. As i stated on my pervious comment the northern region certainly needs an injection of people and dogs to continue.

P.S Add Karen Walsh to being a successful breeder/ rearer.

Edited by bus stop
Added comments

Agreed. Racing is a sport for fun. Not making money. Even the bigger trainers would have massive overheads. I've seen a few bigger trainers bills in Australia. I could only imagine the overheads Cole and McInerney would be paying and there is almost no room for grassroots training at all anymore

2 hours ago, GOM said:

Gary. looking back at this many years later you will be saying thank God I  had a sore back

46 minutes ago, Rules For Some said:

Agreed. Racing is a sport for fun. Not making money. Even the bigger trainers would have massive overheads. I've seen a few bigger trainers bills in Australia. I could only imagine the overheads Cole and McInerney would be paying and there is almost no room for grassroots training at all anymore

Was only thinking 12 dogs max so nothing to big but I do agree with what your both saying.

I think with only having 12 dogs max it would still be something added to the Northern region pool

1 hour ago, Rules For Some said:

So True, Rules, Greyhound Racing is a  Family sport for fun but most importantly is a sport where the dogs themselves are not treated as  just a number and treated as part of the family. The latest huge list Registered by the large trainer is only part of the equation. Where are the others in the litters that wern't fortunate enough to have what it takes to make the  dollar train and their siblings that were injured during rearing . Stats show they havn't been rehomed as that part of the industry is just not able to achieve this. I would say at a guess a huge percentage of pups born don't get registered, I wonder if the  new look N.Z.G.R.A. is accounting for these  , after all you pay a fee to them   at birth for them Don't you? 

3 hours ago, Rules For Some said:

With all due respect, if that is the case, then why don't you organise a Fun Race day amongst family, friends and other "amateur" greyhound sports enthusiasts and race for ribbons?

Animal welfare is a priority and NZGRA must do MUCH better but; Greyhound racing IS a professional sport because winning prize money is earned from competing.

2 hours ago, Lowdown said:

Mostly agree with what you say RFS.. but make no mistake Cole is making big money and has been for a while..

It doesn't matter how much he is making or not. The bottom line is you breed it, raced or not, you make sure they make it though to retirement. The public won't tolerate anything else. Plenty of trainers make sure their dogs are rehomed, raced, unraced, injured or not, yet the powers that be continue to allow a few to breed more dogs per annum than the actual numbers rehomed each year.  That I will never agree with.

Why should the smaller trainers run for ribbons. And leave the money to the "professionals"? Can't see the logic in that. As I've said before, we will see our pups through, and then call it a day. We've had 18 fantastic years, with  lots of highs. Greys are the most amazing breed of dogs. 

A topic that will no doubt cause plenty of debate and there are multiple angles it can be looked at. Now I am not taking any sides and just playing Devil's Advocate here so let's look at it.

It may have been originally a hobby sport but it has become more professional and some participants saw the opportunity to make a living from it and have succeeded in doing so quite well. They have broken no rules but it is questionable whether it is good for the long-term survival of the sport especially in a relatively small country like NZ.  There have probably been many others who have tried and failed too, although we never seem to hear about anybody crying about that. No-one ever gave a guarantee to anyone that they could make a living out of the sport. What you get out of it purely comes down to ambition, hard work and luck and possibly all three rolled into one.    

The larger kennels may now be breeding more and therefore becoming more dominant - good for them as they've outlayed the money and anyone can do the same. Downside is that there are less grass roots participants earning prizemoney so the likelihood is that some get squeezed out therefore the participant pool is reduced.  

Should GRNZ put a limit on how many pups a certain individual can breed per year. Again debateable and if they did could it maybe in breach one's right to private enetrprise and may even be considered a restriction of trade. Imagine if you bred a litter and got eight champions then decided to breed with them all. you might never get one again surely you should be allowed the opportunity to breed no matter what.       

White Poodle asks "Where are the others in the litters that wern't fortunate enough to have what it takes to make the  dollar train and their siblings that were injured during rearing . Stats show they havn't been rehomed as that part of the industry is just not able to achieve this. I would say at a guess a huge percentage of pups born don't get registered, I wonder if the  new look N.Z.G.R.A. is accounting for these  , after all you pay a fee to them at birth for them Don't you?"  

In answer to that and correct me if I'm wrong - All pups born are registered - When a litter of pups is born the litter must be registered within 10 working days. No-one can possibly know whether a pup is any good and do something untoward to it if it isn't at this stage. They are then ear-branded and micro-chipped at around 12 to 16 weeks of age. Again way too early to know of their ability. That's ludicrous to even think otherwise. 

I have to ask this though and I'll give you an example. I recently had a bitch whelp 8 pups although one was quite poorly and registered them immediately within a couple of days. After spending 8 sleepless nights and days with the bitch and pups trying to save the poorly one by bottle feeding it as well as putting it on it's mum's teat she perished s I'm left with seven. Surely that pup is not considered wastage. And whilst I bet one will come to some misfortune through pure bad luck before they even get to breaking in age. How is this pup going to be accounted for ? I have rarely never had a pup not break-in and the few that didn't i have always found a home for, even in the days before GAP began.       

6 minutes ago, Flabbergasted said:

The larger kennels may now be breeding more and therefore becoming more dominant - good for them ...

Is it really good for them if they sink the whole sport and theirs and everyone elses future in it also?

1 hour ago, modest mouse said:

Why should the smaller trainers run for ribbons. And leave the money to the "professionals"? Can't see the logic in that. As I've said before, we will see our pups through, and then call it a day. We've had 18 fantastic years, with  lots of highs. Greys are the most amazing breed of dogs. 

Where was it said that small trainers should run for ribbons?

Rules for Some and White Poodle were claiming that "greyhound racing was a family sport for FUN". And I was merely stating that "For Fun" races should be run for ribbons.

Whether you are a small or big trainer, Greyhound racing is a Professional Sport.

1 hour ago, ridiculous said:

Is it really good for them if they sink the whole sport and theirs and everyone elses future in it also?

Questionable and the very next sentence covered that as did an earlier sentence as reposted below. 

Downside is that there are less grass roots participants earning prizemoney so the likelihood is that some get squeezed out therefore the participant pool is reduced.

They have broken no rules but it is questionable whether it is good for the long-term survival of the sport especially in a relatively small country like NZ.

2 hours ago, Flabbergasted said:

Questionable and the very next sentence covered that as did an earlier sentence as reposted below. 

Downside is that there are less grass roots participants earning prizemoney so the likelihood is that some get squeezed out therefore the participant pool is reduced.

They have broken no rules but it is questionable whether it is good for the long-term survival of the sport especially in a relatively small country like NZ.

The fewer participants the easy it is to shut down the sport.

20 hours ago, The White Poodle said:

So True, Rules, Greyhound Racing is a  Family sport for fun but most importantly is a sport where the dogs themselves are not treated as  just a number and treated as part of the family. The latest huge list Registered by the large trainer is only part of the equation. Where are the others in the litters that wern't fortunate enough to have what it takes to make the  dollar train and their siblings that were injured during rearing . Stats show they havn't been rehomed as that part of the industry is just not able to achieve this. I would say at a guess a huge percentage of pups born don't get registered, I wonder if the  new look N.Z.G.R.A. is accounting for these  , after all you pay a fee to them   at birth for them Don't you? 

You pay a $50 litter fee. Not sure if that's for the whole litter or per pup.