RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
Black Kirrama

Saddle Trots Derek Balle Stables R8 tonight.

I Never thought I would promote Trotting at Alex Park on a Friday night  in a Galloping forum !

We fought for years to get legalised betting on Amateur Thoroughbred Riders events and they are 

such a welcome addition to supporting our industry.(Lower grade horses and bloody hard working riders.)

Tonight we see another Saddle Trot. R 8  @ 9:44pm.

I am sure this series will be very very popular in the industry.

Quite a spectacle they are and some one reminded me the other week that

I won two of them in the good old days of Car boot Bookies and Equalisators back in the 70's.

14 minutes ago, Black Kirrama said:

Equalisators back in the 70's.

And how cool were the equalisator dog meetings at Kumeu! Favourite dog "Flash Acker" . Best races however were the dog hurdles--when were they dispensed with? I have embraced all the codes over the years--Dogs, Harness and Gallops--just waiting for someone to point me towards the LGBTI scene!

12 minutes ago, chevy86 said:

And how cool were the equalisator dog meetings at Kumeu! Favourite dog "Flash Acker" . Best races however were the dog hurdles--when were they dispensed with?

Chevy I was very lucky to own  a champion Hurdler that Pete Henley Trained. He used to beat Coruba Cruise. We took him to Aussie.
He was an amazing athlete over the hurdles.His winning sequence was 12 in a row over sticks.Bob Bond trained him as well when Pete and Louis went to Sydney.

Revel's Command .jpg

Edited by Black Kirrama
Added Picture

Pam Cardigan Bay had his first start at Wyndham on the 28/11/59. He ran fourth over 20 lengths from the winner Stormlight driven by Harry Cox. A few weeks later he was unplaced at Waimate. A month later he was unplaced at Vincent. Two days later on the 11/1/60 he contested the Saddle Race ridden by Davey Todd’s nephew Alex Mitchell. He ran second beaten a nose and earned his first stake £40.

Well I tuned in just for interest to watch this. 

To be fair it was a debacle. A real messy affair with horses going off stride all over the place and throughout the race. 

I did hear them say the turnover was good on the event but I suggest for novelty value reasons. If they go off stride like that all the time punters will soon get sick of that.

Leave me out of it one watch was enough. 

Just looked up the Vincent Jockey Club in Papers Past.   Wow! The meeting for 1st January 1918 (WW1 still going on), first off there were truckloads of Stewards and the prize money was huge?  Prize money was in sovereigns ( To determine each sovereigns value in dollars, simply multiply the above decimal against the current world price of gold in troy ounces ), interesting aside :)

Hermione the day Cardigan Bay ran second in the Saddle Trot at Vincent the Vincent JC ran six gallop races and two pacing races.It was actually the Diamond Jubilee Meeting of the Vincent Club. The six gallop winners were Ultra ridden by Brian Anderton. Shangri-La and John Dowling. Sea Buoy and Hec Anderton. Prince Ermine and PJ Denton. Caravel and Bob Skelton. Good Risk and Neville Cowles.