RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
john legend

Auckland fields ?friday

thank goodness Addington racing friday as AK turnover I predict will go through the floor. 5 trots including a ..................... wait for it  agh!!!!!!!!! a Saddle trot . the big city needs a Promotion person to find why a handful of pacers are even interested in racing at our mega city. Excuses have run out. I amsure we may have brought some horses North if a travel subsidy was offered. but never any contact from anyone. I realise a saddle trot a novelty and the once a year corporate clients that buy some refreshments will have a great laugh at it. Why not have 2 saddle trots (10 races) as it will be amusing but of no benefit to regular drivers. Geez Auckland missing Kevin Smith bigtime.! I know I am turning into a grumpy old (71)man but I can see serious errors of judgement after 60 years .as bob D says "you dont need aweatherman to know which way the wind is blowing!

Ain't the money it's gr8.reagan can only deal the cards he's played.is  very well liked by trainers.the Monte was only ever going to run if they couldn't fill the programme.better than running 7 races.dont have to bet.it is worrying the horse pool.250 noms at geraldine.80 odd starters Auckland., buy a horse send it up north.also a worry 25 point rating bands for some races.hard for the lower rated horses.

14 minutes ago, tim vince said:

Ain't the money it's gr8.reagan can only deal the cards he's played.is  very well liked by trainers.the Monte was only ever going to run if they couldn't fill the programme.better than running 7 races.dont have to bet.it is worrying the horse pool.250 noms at geraldine.80 odd starters Auckland., buy a horse send it up north.also a worry 25 point rating bands for some races.hard for the lower rated horses.

You hit the nail on the head with your last point Tim. 

The rating system is meant to match like with like, but with some races having a 25 point split between runners it just isn't working that way.  

I think we have to find some way of accessing a horse and allowing it to stay in that grade regardless of wins.  As an example, I know of one South Island  horse on a mid 80's rating, (and there are a few more in this situation) that could go north and race in the R71 and faster pace but the problem is if they win they will go to a R 90 or more rating and then become un competitive again.

57 minutes ago, lamour said:

You hit the nail on the head with your last point Tim. 

The rating system is meant to match like with like, but with some races having a 25 point split between runners it just isn't working that way.  

I think we have to find some way of accessing a horse and allowing it to stay in that grade regardless of wins.  As an example, I know of one South Island  horse on a mid 80's rating, (and there are a few more in this situation) that could go north and race in the R71 and faster pace but the problem is if they win they will go to a R 90 or more rating and then become un competitive again.

Good post and raised elsewhere about rating system and its deficiencies. As horse breeding  population declines it will become an even bigger issue in the future.

TB model in SGP and HKG is not the worst as drop backs occurring all the time

11 minutes ago, tim vince said:

Trouble is not really a rating system.been hijacked by I'm not sure who.

Judging by what i have seen and what others have told me its not really a true handicapping system either. Unless you can have drop backs the sales will continue as will retirements. Money no issue to ATC or Racing NSW but look at the small Saturday gallops field sizes and they are running for A$125K minimum

one idea was put in "race or sell" topic with extra conditions added as in USA. Regardless of reasons or those responsible Auckland needs to get someone to find answers, or outside classic/group meetings they will run at a serious loss.:rcf-sad-1:

32 minutes ago, westview said:

Be interesting to see how the fields swell next week with the all stars and dunns  south island based horses arrive , or will it frighten a few away.

Hasnt deterred Jack Harrington. He sent a maiden trotter up there which runs in the last on Friday.  Currently located at S Reid stable

Friday Saturday next week. With the money going up again in March it's going to be better again for owners.only 150 or so at the sales up  here.on a good day half go to northern trainers,with the attrition rate prob only half again make it to the races in 2 years time we have a problem Houston.

29 minutes ago, tim vince said:

Friday Saturday next week. With the money going up again in March it's going to be better again for owners.only 150 or so at the sales up  here.on a good day half go to northern trainers,with the attrition rate prob only half again make it to the races in 2 years time we have a problem Houston.

Your not wrong tim, but I'm sure a few more South Island based horses will be venturing up your way. With the increased stakes it will be very hard qualifying for the jewels etc without travelling. As a syndicator it's a hard decision to send a horse out of your own back yard where most of your owners are based. Next month Westview will have two up there and we have a very exciting 2yr old filly who with any luck will be up for the young gun series. Flights are booked , I will make a point of catching up with you at the park. Cheers Nigel.

10 hours ago, tim vince said:

I have heard a few say that they are now sending young stock up north due to smaller fields and better money. these were  horses that were useful but not world beaters

Take your point re Kevin Smith, but he is a real student of harness racing and can think outside the square. If a racing secretary just juggles the horses that nominate and there are only a handful of pacers it is timely to seek out the root of the problem  Not just fill in gaps with Monte racing etc. perhaps licence dual sulky races for tote betting (sorry got carried away)  A PR person is needed as well to assist the Secretary..   Mr Smith reads these columns for fresh ideas and is the ONLY person ever to have the courtesy to  ring me  to put me  straight on reasons why decisions made., and often to sound out certain matters .

can i push my luck and comment one last time.... Mick G. has now entered comments on Monte racing . He assures us that Ak trotting club is committed to a summer series of monte racing ..... Sorry Tim but the dripping water eventually wears away the stone (as we all know) thats why I wanted tto turn the water off before the brilliant Ak Committee made montes tote races (everyone said only non totes) and then only if short noms to add a race. NOW A SUMMER SERIES. from the very same people that brought in the no talking rule for drivers.(or tried to)  . :rcf-poo:

6 hours ago, john legend said:

NOW A SUMMER SERIES.

J L Why are you so against Monte racing. I love watching them and regularily bet on them in Aus. Becasue they race more often in Aus  you can see  their form and which trotters seem to grow a leg when racing in a monte. Surely a Sumer Series has to be good to following form and who are the better riders and which horses go better at monte than with a sulky. It is popular world wide and is more natural for a trotter to have a person in a saddle  than pull a sulky. All horses trot when ridden so JL its time for you to give up your crusade and embrace Monte racing which I am pleaed to say is here to stay. When is Addingtons first one. Carnt wait. 

6 hours ago, harewood said:

J L Why are you so against Monte racing. I love watching them and regularily bet on them in Aus. Becasue they race more often in Aus  you can see  their form and which trotters seem to grow a leg when racing in a monte. Surely a Sumer Series has to be good to following form and who are the better riders and which horses go better at monte than with a sulky. It is popular world wide and is more natural for a trotter to have a person in a saddle  than pull a sulky. All horses trot when ridden so JL its time for you to give up your crusade and embrace Monte racing which I am pleaed to say is here to stay. When is Addingtons first one. Carnt wait. 

I just hope that they put on a better display than many of the trials seen racenight - only one of three trotted the whole way at Cambridge Wednesday with one going into a totally mad gallop and the jockey seemingly unable to control it

On 11/27/2018 at 4:35 PM, westview said:

Be interesting to see how the fields swell next week with the all stars and dunns  south island based horses arrive , or will it frighten a few away.

Im hearing that Cambridge will be the new home for A Bettor Act and its half sister as of Friday. No longer in AS barn

19 hours ago, Fartoomuch said:

Im hearing that Cambridge will be the new home for A Bettor Act and its half sister as of Friday. No longer in AS barn

I wondered if Moonlight might be headed that way too after last night. Just saying.