RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
Rusty

Starter - Lamb

9 minutes ago, Rusty said:

Would I be "RIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIGHT" in thinking there was no starter Lamb in the mobile for the first today at Motukarararara? 

Is this the first trotting club in Canterbury to go vegetarian? Finally!

Let us pray and hope so. 

Given what were supposed to be standing starts yesterday who knows which one will turn up today:rcfe-happy-1:

1 hour ago, scooby3051 said:

I do not know much about how its supposed to be done..but the start for the the trotting cup looked to be a debacle.

Correct.

It has been a debacle and embarrassing feature most years for the cup. 

The horses change, the drivers come and go, but the starter remains the same. 

19 hours ago, scooby3051 said:

I do not know much about how its supposed to be done..but the start for the the trotting cup looked to be a debacle.

It was. Starting methods seem to have changed. When Jack Mulcay was starter the procedure was that the No. 1 horse would line-up at the tape first and the others follow suit, you would end up with a straight line of horses on the tape, they would stand for a moment and then the tape would fly.

This years Cup was different, the No. 1 horse, The Fixer, was three lengths from the tape when the tape flew. Fortunately, for the horses' connections, it didn't matter much because many other horses were also out of line. Despite breaking for a few strides the horse soon made up ground. I think the horse broke because Rasmussen had to rush it to get a handy spot in the running because she probably wasn't expecting the tape to fly when it did? 

If Lamb is to remain starter the Cup should become a mobile start.

Edited by Thejanitor
spelling

50 minutes ago, Thejanitor said:

It was. Starting methods seem to have changed. When Jack Mulcay was starter the procedure was that the No. 1 horse would line-up at the tape first and the others follow suit, you would end up with a straight line of horses on the tape, they would stand for a moment and then the tape would fly.

This years Cup was different, the No. 1 horse, The Fixer, was three lengths from the tape when the tape flew. Fortunately, for the horses' connections, it didn't matter much because many other horses were also out of line. Despite breaking for a few strides the horse soon made up ground. I think the horse broke because Rasmussen had to rush it to get a handy spot in the running because she probably wasn't expecting the tape to fly when it did? 

If Lamb is to remain starter the Cup should become a mobile start.

I don't want the cup to become a mobile start or the race will be in danger of becoming just another race, as the Auckland Cup did as a mobile 2600m race. But you are right Thejanitor, Mulcay and Ron Carter before him did not have the trouble this starter has because once a horse played up more than once it was sent to the outside before the rest of the field became unsettled. Also I think in fairness to Lamb trainers were better at getting a horse to stand properly. The horses and drivers though have to now work out whether it is a stand or a walk up which doesn't help. The "old school" had it right, so why change it?

the drivers know Lamb's ways and try and get a flyer by anticipating his call.    The more he uses the jog up starting method, he has invented the more these "cunning" drivers will play it and try to get an advantage over others.      Lamb also appears to have the mantle of Senior Starter for the harness code so there is no one to "sharpen him up"

Sorry Fartoomuch, yeah it was beyond belief.

How a horse could break from the front line, come back onto the 2nd row horse, during a mobile start, causing interference to it, before the release point, and for it not to be called a false start??

Usually that would be described as unbelievable. Usually. But sadly I can believe it. 

Rusty no need to exclude relatives My bet still difficult to find someone to defend" his starting procedure".  I did discusswith Gary Phillips that he might like a week in November next year to be at addington to avoid current malaise. As the present encumbent is part of the Judiciary which  in effect controls the starter and can fine him for incompetence there has to be a conflict of interest