RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
We're Doomed

Riccarton

2 hours ago, We're Doomed said:

Is it right that the entire public stand is closed at Riccarton? How are they going to cope with the crowds on Cup Day? Will people be able to get bets on, have drinks, watch races from Aussie etc?

Ninety percent of the crowd there on Cup Day probably won't be worried about getting bets on or watching races from Australia, just the being able to have drinks bit will be important to them.

They had pop up TABs and bars on the lawn in front of the old stand today, imagine there will be more spread out for next Saturday, although with the pretty dismal crowd on hand today there wasn't a queue to be seen.

That old public stand is far and away the best place to watch the NZ Cup.  The Canterbury Jockey Club consulted three engineering firms.  One of the three said there is a slight possibility that the public stand might not be safe in an 8 Richter Scale earthquake.  The other two said it would be okay.  Butt covering.  It is closed.  I might have a runner at Addington on Show Day.  I will spend a fortune on flying down to the event.  But I will  not stay for the Saturday as that Members' Stand is just too crowded on that day.  I have had a horse or interest in horses since 1969, when I got one for my 21st birthday.  Of all the trotters I have had a minor interest in, none of them would be good enough to defacate in the harnessing area at Addington on Show Day, let alone race on that day.  So I am going.  But I will fly home Friday night.

This is such a pity as Christchurch at this time of the year is so wonderful, and I have had so much fun there in the past.

5 hours ago, premixer said:

Yes its closed due to earthquake damage.

The second question will be interesting for sure.

1 hour ago, Tauhei Notts said:

That old public stand is far and away the best place to watch the NZ Cup.  The Canterbury Jockey Club consulted three engineering firms.  One of the three said there is a slight possibility that the public stand might not be safe in an 8 Richter Scale earthquake.  The other two said it would be okay.  Butt covering.  It is closed.  I might have a runner at Addington on Show Day.  I will spend a fortune on flying down to the event.  But I will  not stay for the Saturday as that Members' Stand is just too crowded on that day.  I have had a horse or interest in horses since 1969, when I got one for my 21st birthday.  Of all the trotters I have had a minor interest in, none of them would be good enough to defacate in the harnessing area at Addington on Show Day, let alone race on that day.  So I am going.  But I will fly home Friday night.

This is such a pity as Christchurch at this time of the year is so wonderful, and I have had so much fun there in the past.

5 hours ago, premixer said:

Yes its closed due to earthquake damage.

The second question will be interesting for sure.

So the public stand is closed because of earthquake damage  suffered in ?????   And it is only now being deemed as unsafe. What about all the years in between?

1 hour ago, Pam Robson said:

I certainly hope there is some idea for the public for Saturday next -  and good weather -  or else the place will be chaotic.

Do you know what the future plans are Pam, is it getting bowled ? If so what replaces it ? .

For how many people go in winter could they do a Sunshine Coast type course with covered areas and steps as I am guessing a huge stand is not going to happen.

Hopefully the club can fund a new facility when it does come down. Something small and clever as RR refers to above. Only one or two days a year where need anything taking more than a few thousand people. Perhaps an opportunity to have a decent bar and restaurant - TAB facility etc open every day like Alex Park.

Going to be a lot of new residents living over the back fence....

Good luck to CJC for rest of the week. The fact they have capacity issues on Cup Day is of course partially due to the fact they have successfully turned that day into a huge event. Lets not forget that when we are complaining about facilities etc...

20 minutes ago, chelseacol said:

Hopefully the club can fund a new facility when it does come down. Something small and clever as RR refers to above. Only one or two days a year where need anything taking more than a few thousand people. Perhaps an opportunity to have a decent bar and restaurant - TAB facility etc open every day like Alex Park.

Going to be a lot of new residents living over the back fence....

Good luck to CJC for rest of the week. The fact they have capacity issues on Cup Day is of course partially due to the fact they have successfully turned that day into a huge event. Lets not forget that when we are complaining about facilities etc...

CC , I always find standing in front of the stand even when it was  open a decent vantage point, I know a lot of trainers and strappers  stand there. Wouldn't need elevating much, if at all.As long as infield kept clear of view obstructions as much as they can.

Great win by Dee and Gee yesterday, that stable always seem to give their horses every chance to win  one , then get them at to their level and sometimes exceeding expectations. Didn't have a cent on it but always good to see that stable have a win.

6 minutes ago, Red Rum said:

CC , I always find standing in front of the stand even when it was  open a decent vantage point, I know a lot of trainers and strappers  stand there. Wouldn't need elevating much, if at all.As long as infield kept clear of view obstructions as much as they can.

Great win by Dee and Gee yesterday, that stable always seem to give their horses every chance to win  one , then get them at to their level and sometimes exceeding expectations. Didn't have a cent on it but always good to see that stable have a win.

Couldn't agree more,  Terrill is an amazing woman,  tough like you wouldn't believe,  still battling a brain tumour and working some incredibly long hours. Rides all their horses and deserves every success.

I feel sorry for the CJC re the Public Grandstand but the CEO MUST come out this week in all forms of media (Press, Radio, Facebook etc etc ) and advise all potential Cup Day visitors that the Public Grandstand and the surrounding standing area is CLOSED and that if it is either HOT, COLD EASTERLY or RAINING that they will have no protection.

Failure to do so will result in thousands of upset people who could/wish for refunds for failure to deliver on what they thought they were paying for.

Should be on the front page of the PRESS so patrons know what they are paying for.

14 minutes ago, newbie85 said:

I feel sorry for the CJC re the Public Grandstand but the CEO MUST come out this week in all forms of media (Press, Radio, Facebook etc etc ) and advise all potential Cup Day visitors that the Public Grandstand and the surrounding standing area is CLOSED and that if it is either HOT, COLD EASTERLY or RAINING that they will have no protection.

Failure to do so will result in thousands of upset people who could/wish for refunds for failure to deliver on what they thought they were paying for.

Should be on the front page of the PRESS so patrons know what they are paying for.

I agree totally. I haven't seen any mention from the club about the stand being closed and what they are doing to mitigate that fact and ensure patrons still get good value for their entry fee. Presumably they will be more lenient about patrons making their own fun in the carpark.

13 minutes ago, poundforpound said:

It’s not the CJC who’re stopping the fun in the Carpark, it’s the Police and the LLA and their interpretation of the law, the SSAA.

You’re  being a bit unfair blaming the CJC 

P4P

Do you not think that if the CJC had been proactive in years gone by  (re Alcohol) that they may not be in the situation they are in now.

Addington gets a bigger crowd but has not had the same issues in the last few years