RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
slam dunk

TAB $50M dry run went wrong!

Anyone notice the TAB systems crash last week on a fairly low key midweek day. Then late at night the crash again.

Well TAB were testing parts of the "new system" in real time. Didn't take long for crash.

It appears the problem was not enough connections. This is a technical term used when a customer is transacting a bet the idea being there is only a finite number of connections can be open at any time so need to close the connection as soon as possible. Either the programmer forgot to enable the closing of connections or the the new system is far more ineficient than than the old system. Off course the 3rd alternative is bye bye $50M.

8 hours ago, shaneMcAlister said:

This is the system with the continuing moving ‘go live’ date?  

What I find astonishing is that we are talking about outsourcing the TAB and yet we continue to deploy millions a month on this. 

' WE '  are talking about outsourcing,  ' THEY '  are in denial and are carrying on.....and no doubt will do so until disestablished.

6 hours ago, Pam Robson said:

' WE '  are talking about outsourcing,  ' THEY '  are in denial and are carrying on.....and no doubt will do so until disestablished.

And in the meantime ‘they’ lose market share to offshore bookmakers and ‘we’ suffer as a result. I don’t really see any other other option other than to press ahead. Standing still won’t fix anything and outsourcing a diminishing customer base only means that the company they outsource to has to spend a truck load in marketing etc to win them back and grow the business. Do you think outsourcing will immediately make punters come back and bet with the outsourced mob purely because it's been outsourced? Tabcorp aren’t the gold standard in this country either, they can't run a tote pool for races with more than 25 runners or have emergencies in the melbourne cup because of their legacy systems. Why wouldn’t you grow the customer base and reduce the churn now then you cater for both scenarios? 

They need a competitive product/platform and to start to win customers back and grow interest in the punt outsource or no outsource

The TAB and their Saudi sorry overseas backers are missing three fundamental concepts.

Divorce financials from bet placement.

Don't run form guides under the same domain name

Make taking a bet simple.

However the flaw in the TAB logic is that they are spending all this money to fleecing more out of a diminishing customer base. e.g. the TAB have tightened reaction time to overseas odds shifts leaving no incentive for punters. TAB should be spending on growing customer base not reducing it.

Don't think the TAB have got the balls to run the new system for Melbourne Cup day.

I just tried to put a bet on and got a message saying the site was "offline". And as for outsourcing, they are the only licensed betting agency in New Zealand, why the **** would they want to give anyone a share of that golden goose? The only reason they aren't going gangbusters is because they persist in employing bankers, lawyers, post office employees, PR gurus instead of people who know betting. The current powers that be (Allen, Hughes etc) are absolutely clueless about betting, as was shown by the ridiculous "Race Fields" debacle. Even the govt worked out it was a waste of time. And speaking of Allen and Hughes, why haven't they resigned or been sacked yet? Have achieved absolutely nothing between them. Or are they both on a lifetime contract?

5 hours ago, Phantom said:

I just tried to put a bet on and got a message saying the site was "offline". And as for outsourcing, they are the only licensed betting agency in New Zealand, why the **** would they want to give anyone a share of that golden goose? The only reason they aren't going gangbusters is because they persist in employing bankers, lawyers, post office employees, PR gurus instead of people who know betting. The current powers that be (Allen, Hughes etc) are absolutely clueless about betting, as was shown by the ridiculous "Race Fields" debacle. Even the govt worked out it was a waste of time. And speaking of Allen and Hughes, why haven't they resigned or been sacked yet? Have achieved absolutely nothing between them. Or are they both on a lifetime contract?

Exactly. Hughes & Allen should have gone at least a year ago. Messara was quite diplomatic when he said he couldn't see the business case for the spend on the so called Fixed Odds Platform. (They called it that because sports betting platform may have sounded odd to the racing admins). But what about the racing directors why were they asleep at the wheel?

Right now there should be an enquiry into the whole process of the $50M spendup. Just how they could arrive at the extra $20 million revenue per year is a mystery.

Typhoon betting fiasco. Triple Trio epic failure. Fixed odds platform about to suffer the same fate. Today half an hour after I left my local TAB the sole front line worker was robbed at gunpoint. About time the TAB boosted security for its under paid real workers. I would rather they spent money in that area rather than grandiose schemes that are doomed to fail from Day One.

13 hours ago, gubellini said:

Typhoon betting fiasco. Triple Trio epic failure. Fixed odds platform about to suffer the same fate. Today half an hour after I left my local TAB the sole front line worker was robbed at gunpoint. About time the TAB boosted security for its under paid real workers. I would rather they spent money in that area rather than grandiose schemes that are doomed to fail from Day One.

There are some good buggers in the TAB organisation (ie NZRB) - some of whom like a punt and own horses etc etc.

But I imagine a couple of the people being referred to on this thread have never turned over thousands of dollars on a day or could contemplate having a big bet or sit up doing the form each night.

1 hour ago, ivanthegreat said:

Pick me when it comes to the " I.T. Maintennance Contract " will be a licence to print money.

And also some advertising agency as they are going to go for broke with PR but its at the expense of racing right before the holiday period.

Looks a classic case of jobs for the boys, to many backhanders and the jetbet system was crap from the start , how bad are their TAB machines you can’t even get them to accept legal tender...which leads me to why did they set them up without a coin slot??????????? They are supposed to look after punters with addiction nO ? Thieves with shithouse ‘customer’ service:rcf-nerd:

4 hours ago, Gruff said:

Looks a classic case of jobs for the boys, to many backhanders and the jetbet system was crap from the start , how bad are their TAB machines you can’t even get them to accept legal tender...which leads me to why did they set them up without a coin slot??????????? They are supposed to look after punters with addiction nO ? Thieves with shithouse ‘customer’ service:rcf-nerd:

..and where is the eftpos into these selfserve terminals or collect cash out of the robot machines.....cant go to pak'n'save with a f'in betting voucher..!!

14 hours ago, mooseman said:

..and where is the eftpos into these selfserve terminals or collect cash out of the robot machines.....cant go to pak'n'save with a f'in betting voucher..!!

they are truly horrible terminals - rarely use them as they take ages to accept $, get to a race screen and then if there are more than a certain number of horses in a race you have to scroll down to see them all. Just hopeless

2 hours ago, chelseacol said:

they are truly horrible terminals - rarely use them as they take ages to accept $, get to a race screen and then if there are more than a certain number of horses in a race you have to scroll down to see them all. Just hopeless

The note acceptor is awful especially if you are behind someone putting in a few notes. 

I also annoys me when the message pops up on the machine telling you that race four from Inner Mongolia is now closed even though you are not remotely interested in that race. 

On ‎10‎/‎26‎/‎2018 at 11:04 AM, Patiti said:

Helix all over again

TAB been very quiet with updates and proposed launch date of FOB

Sports betting being stripped off touch tone at end of month.

Is that a precursor to the launch.

Fixed odds betting on racing is disappearing off Touch Tone also. Why?

I assume tote betting is remaining on Touch Tone.  

People who use it find it quick and, efficient without the need for an operator and it works when the TAB website crashes on big days. It is a great tool for those without computers or I-pads.  

The lunatics are running the asylum.