RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
Ohokaman

Cox Plate field...

5 hours ago, Red Rum said:

Not sure they miss CR7 though, he could be in few years of strife court wise. 

Who or what is CR7? Some of us have long racing histories but not necessarily in the inner sanctum.

1 hour ago, bus stop said:

Just my thoughts that Winx will need to be ridden closer to the pace considering the short run home if their is a there is a tear away pacemaker with a decent break on the home turn.

a huge fan of this great mare like many others and I hold my breath every time she jumps that she will keep her record in tack.

That's the only way they will beat her BS. Nothing will come over the top of her I feel but the short straight could pose a problem - if, in fact, there may be one.

16 minutes ago, chevy86 said:

Who or what is CR7? Some of us have long racing histories but not necessarily in the inner sanctum.

Have retraced posts--what the hell has Ronaldo got to do with the Cox Plate? Sure his cock has him in a spot of bother but that is not racing. "For Mine" (don't you love this bastardisation of the language and wtf does that expression mean-thanks Popperwell, Rodley, Sweeney and you other clowns) the Cox Plate field is a disgrace. Those Aussies are always touting that they have the kahunas but they are all running scared. I will be backing Savy Coup and may the force be with you, Michael and Team.

BTW, while I am having a rant--- why does every trainer in NZ have to now answer a question with "look" First it was James, then  Latta, now Benner and multiple others. Have too many off them fallen of the mechanical horse? In case you are not paying attention--we are "listening" not "looking"!

7 hours ago, Ohokaman said:

On form it must be Benbatl and Avilius as the dangers. Know nothing of Rostropovich though O'Brien and Moore have been here before and won it with a first starter in Adelaide so must be respected on that alone.

Kings Will Dream is the interesting runner. They obviously feel he didn't have much of a run on Saturday and have put the blinkers on him for this. Whether he's got the class is another thing.

ROSTROPOVICH (FRANKEL x TYRANNY) 3yo B C (4yo by Southern Hemisphere time)

14080.png

Record: 12: 4-2-2

Trainer: Aidan O’Brien (IRE)

Jockey: Ryan Moore (ENG)

Barrier: 8

Weight: 56kg

Racing pattern: On-pacer

Winning distance range: 7f-12f (1400m-2400m)

Preferred ground: Good, also adept on better side of soft

The quote: "Rostropovich is a grand horse, he's by Frankel, he's a brother to Zoffany, he's just settled in so well. He's going through the motions and really enjoying it so he could be a dark horse," TJ Comerford (travelling foreman for O’Brien).

Career highlight: 2nd in Group I Irish Derby (12f) to Latrobe at The Curragh June 30, 2018

Chink in the armour: He arrived on the final European shipment and only comes out of quarantine on Cox Plate day – so the obvious question is whether the race has come a tad quick for him. The Melbourne Cup was the original plan, and still is, however running in the Cox Plate is an afterthought.

Comment: Putting Winx aside for a moment, this horse is an accomplished galloper with strong form up to 2400m – almost a prerequisite for the Cox Plate. The fact that he’s a three-year-old by Northern Hemisphere time should hold no fears either, evidenced by the recent exploits of international visitors like Rekindling and Adelaide (which won the 2015 Cox Plate for the same trainer/jockey combination). Expect him to fly around the Moonee Valley circuit, having won at the even-tighter track of Chester in May.

One of my top 3 for the MC for a while Ohokaman though I long preferred the CC winner there. Had a nibble for the Cox plate a few days ago at 50/1 when it sounded like he might run and that Ryan Moore was staying on to ride him. If anything can undo Winx, I think he can.

Uneasy - as a Riccarton local I wish all the connections of SC the best of British this weekend. She is a fabulous horse.

More importantly I hope you get out of the ward and off to Melbourne. My Dad is home from Ward 26 and loving things like a family fish and chips evening last night. A Cox Plate will top that :-)

Col

10 hours ago, Ohokaman said:

ROSTROPOVICH (FRANKEL x TYRANNY) 3yo B C (4yo by Southern Hemisphere time)

14080.png

Record: 12: 4-2-2

Trainer: Aidan O’Brien (IRE)

Jockey: Ryan Moore (ENG)

Barrier: 8

Weight: 56kg

Racing pattern: On-pacer

Winning distance range: 7f-12f (1400m-2400m)

Preferred ground: Good, also adept on better side of soft

The quote: "Rostropovich is a grand horse, he's by Frankel, he's a brother to Zoffany, he's just settled in so well. He's going through the motions and really enjoying it so he could be a dark horse," TJ Comerford (travelling foreman for O’Brien).

Career highlight: 2nd in Group I Irish Derby (12f) to Latrobe at The Curragh June 30, 2018

Chink in the armour: He arrived on the final European shipment and only comes out of quarantine on Cox Plate day – so the obvious question is whether the race has come a tad quick for him. The Melbourne Cup was the original plan, and still is, however running in the Cox Plate is an afterthought.

Comment: Putting Winx aside for a moment, this horse is an accomplished galloper with strong form up to 2400m – almost a prerequisite for the Cox Plate. The fact that he’s a three-year-old by Northern Hemisphere time should hold no fears either, evidenced by the recent exploits of international visitors like Rekindling and Adelaide (which won the 2015 Cox Plate for the same trainer/jockey combination). Expect him to fly around the Moonee Valley circuit, having won at the even-tighter track of Chester in May.

Racehorse breeding throws up some odd connections sometimes, Rostrapovich's half brother Zoffany came closest any horse did in three years to beating his Dad Frankel in 2011 St James Palace Stakes. Few more strides and he would have. 

Racing always provides upsets. A bad ride, blocked for a run, interference causing loss of momentum, just a few ways even champions can get beat. Humidor gave her a big fright last year. I think that as the World’s best horse, she will win. However, I also think that this is her biggest test for a while. Just look what happened over the last 3 or 4 weeks with the Imports. The sprint is usually on from the 800m at The Valley, especially with the so called “450m false straight from the 800m to the 350m. The cambered turn is fantastic and you can bet that Benbatyl and Rostropovich and others will be full bore from the 800m and taking their chances on Winx not being able to run down the leaders. I’ve been at the Valley for about 18 Cox Plate runnings and the atmosphere is unreal! The best! I hope if Winx gets nutted that it’s Savvy Coup over the top for a last stride win. If a better racing man than Ray Coupland deserves to win and beat Winx, I can’t think of one more deserving- a thorough gentleman. Good luck to the kiwi connection - racing serves up some huge upsets, maybe SC will go down(up?) in history as the one to do it?? :) 

I think for those of us who enjoy international racing and follow the meetings year round as they progress and enjoy reading  the debate/arguement/theories etc about who's the best racehorse ever , who's  best at what distance and who's the best of a particular year etc  the first set of world rankings after the Breeders Cup will be awaited with interest. One thing Benbatl gives the boffins who do the sums is a solid in form yardstick  to get a line to South/North formlines. Make no mistake Cracksman/ Roaring Lion at 2000 and Enable at 2400 would crush gallant Benbatl to bits  ,   that's probably  partly why likes of Best Solution and Benbatl plied their  trade overseas  in the main this year , avoiding them plus likes Poets Voice and Crystal Ocean. That Dubai Turf win was however relentless by Benbatl, he is unlikely to fold like cardboard like some she's faced and a bit of coin  going on him .

Finche been  caned by Cracksman twice in Prix Neil 2017  and Prix Ganay 2018 it will  be interesting to see how he goes under topweight today first up Aussie.

Whatever the result or rankings she's a legend .

6 hours ago, Blue said:

And I hope you're not watering that Riccarton track Col. The forecast rain for Thursday  should be all that's required thanks.

I haven't been but they did over the weekend mate. Another stunner here today so think be good 3 by the time the sun goes down. Rain tomorrow and then friday and saturday dry. Hopefully Dead 4 or 5 at worst.

Nice race your mare is in - we seeing you on course ?

Before you jump in.....:rolleyes:

If Benbatl and Winx run to their career-best figures the wonder mare shooting for her fourth Cox Plate will win by close to seven lengths.

COX PLATE ANALYSIS

Benbatl has recorded a career-peak figure at Meydan over 1800m of +9.8 lengths above benchmark standard. Winx has recorded numbers beyond that on multiple occasions, including last year's Cox Plate win at +12.9 and a peak of +16.3.

Humidor has a +12.5 next to his name from last year's Cox Plate while D'Argento is a genuine +8 horse when right.

Winx wins and the pace of the race will determine the placings.

15 hours ago, Ohokaman said:

Before you jump in.....:rolleyes:

If Benbatl and Winx run to their career-best figures the wonder mare shooting for her fourth Cox Plate will win by close to seven lengths.

COX PLATE ANALYSIS

Benbatl has recorded a career-peak figure at Meydan over 1800m of +9.8 lengths above benchmark standard. Winx has recorded numbers beyond that on multiple occasions, including last year's Cox Plate win at +12.9 and a peak of +16.3.

Humidor has a +12.5 next to his name from last year's Cox Plate while D'Argento is a genuine +8 horse when right.

Winx wins and the pace of the race will determine the placings.

Latest ratings after Champions weekend and Arc 

Cracksman 130, Enable 128 , Roaring Lion 127 , of those Enable probably got most improvement as was clearly not fully fit in Arc after interrupted season , Breeders Cup next week for her and maybe run  on dirt for Roaring Lion .

Winx 132 , Benbatl got on plane at 122 but peaked in Dubai at 123 . So would guess Caulfield was at least in this region so got to assume he is up to his form at the moment . That's basically 3 kilos behind  Cracksman the top 2000 metre horse in Europe , so if running to form , she's at home , hes travelled , Winx should really do a number on  him if my thinking makes sense. 

45k from one punter on Benbatl  brave against buck 20 fav .My heart would never handle that.

Iam on Benbatl the win, and Rostrapovich ew . He's had great reports in press from gallops. 

Latrobe out Cup going Mackinnon , Team Williams must be very confident in their team. 

18 minutes ago, Red Rum said:

Latest ratings after Champions weekend and Arc 

Cracksman 130, Enable 128 , Roaring Lion 127 , of those Enable probably got most improvement as was clearly not fully fit in Arc after interrupted season , Breeders Cup next week for her and maybe run  on dirt for Roaring Lion .

Winx 132 , Benbatl got on plane at 122 but peaked in Dubai at 123 . So would guess Caulfield was at least in this region so got to assume he is up to his form at the moment . That's basically 3 kilos behind  Cracksman the top 2000 metre horse in Europe , so if running to form , she's at home , hes travelled , Winx should really do a number on  him if my thinking makes sense. 

45k from one punter on Benbatl  brave against buck 20 fav .My heart would never handle that.

Iam on Benbatl the win, and Rostrapovich ew . He's had great reports in press from gallops. 

Latrobe out Cup going Mackinnon , Team Williams must be very confident in their team. 

You backing up with Ventura Storm in the MV Cup RR...? I like Zahra being back on.

4 minutes ago, Ohokaman said:

You backing up with Ventura Storm in the MV Cup RR...? I like Zahra being back on.

Will definitely throw bit on him and RV as will be filthy on it if they run into finish. Watched CC a couple times , done me money on them but actually better runs than I initially thought.  I don't think she will win but think Youngster will be best of home team at moment. I really think rerouting Latrobe is a big sign to Yucatan . They said Cup too soon, but they must have known that before getting on plane. Mackinnon been upped in prizemoney I think and mile quarter Group 1 win won't  do Latrobe value any harm if he gets home in it. We will see how good Blair House is after Benbatl and Humidor Saturday.He would likely head there or that big mile race.Take out Winx, Humidor , Kings Will Dream who's left to challenge those two unless any back up into it.Hartnell running in miles now.

19 minutes ago, Red Rum said:

Will definitely throw bit on him and RV as will be filthy on it if they run into finish. Watched CC a couple times , done me money on them but actually better runs than I initially thought.  I don't think she will win but think Youngster will be best of home team at moment. I really think rerouting Latrobe is a big sign to Yucatan . They said Cup too soon, but they must have known that before getting on plane. Mackinnon been upped in prizemoney I think and mile quarter Group 1 win won't  do Latrobe value any harm if he gets home in it. We will see how good Blair House is after Benbatl and Humidor Saturday.He would likely head there or that big mile race.Take out Winx, Humidor , Kings Will Dream who's left to challenge those two unless any back up into it.Hartnell running in miles now.

Surprised Taj Mahal is backing up so soon after that run. I'll be tossing in Libran, Lord Fandango, and a couple of Weirs runners.

31 minutes ago, Ohokaman said:

Surprised Taj Mahal is backing up so soon after that run. I'll be tossing in Libran, Lord Fandango, and a couple of Weirs runners.

Libran went well in it last year. Watched last year's Hampton Court Stakes , Benbatl won Taj Mahal led out , Benbatl sat just behind leaders , OrderofGarter who was an early talking horse for Cup ran second as Ballydoyle first string. Benbatl one tough hombre in it. 

MV Cup I am having a throw at stumps Prize Money. Forgiving last run behind Yucatan , ran Windsor a turning figure 8 track behind Desert Encounter at levels two starts back, beaten 3 lengths . Desert Encounter gets on plane with Thundering Blue who put few lengths on Benbatl ( Suroor  said got bad cut in race) in Juddmonte in finishing second to Roaring Lion . Both arrive at Woodbine , Desert Encounter wins Canadian International beating Thundering Blue , Thundering Blue heading to Japan Cup.

Crude unscientific formlines but good enough for me at 26s and 7.50 the place good enough for my each way value punting nowdays, only got my pot that needs to survive to end of carnival. Murphy had time with Hayes Stable, draw bit of worry but worth the risk at those odds for my money.

1 hour ago, Ohokaman said:

Any thoughts on the Northern mob in the Manikato RR ? Surely US Navy Flag can improve on better ground if he handles the Valley.

A few have blinkers going on tonight so they are serious.

Had few collects on Sunlight but going against my instincts and backing US Navy Flag ew, money back with interest for place. I always give more weight to Euro form 1600 up. Sometimes it  clouds my reasoning however the total reverse below that distance , Aussies lead the way so in backing US Navy Flag I go against my inner feelings. Drawn well, previous failure on heavy 4/4 to  Gustav Klimt a decent horse in guineas trial Leopardstown so forgive Everest , don't think Ryan knocked him about too much once writing on wall, will not be stopping after hopefully positioning  up well. MV very different to July Course but nothing to say he won't act there. I've also got  a man crush on Ryan Moore so gotta back him.

Spirit of Valour , place maybe but not for me, other two I'd be gobsmacked and in old days would tear up my formbook,  nowdays I would recycle my tablet in a responsible manner.

What do you like for it  OM ?

2 hours ago, Red Rum said:

Had few collects on Sunlight but going against my instincts and backing US Navy Flag ew, money back with interest for place. I always give more weight to Euro form 1600 up. Sometimes it  clouds my reasoning however the total reverse below that distance , Aussies lead the way so in backing US Navy Flag I go against my inner feelings. Drawn well, previous failure on heavy 4/4 to  Gustav Klimt a decent horse in guineas trial Leopardstown so forgive Everest , don't think Ryan knocked him about too much once writing on wall, will not be stopping after hopefully positioning  up well. MV very different to July Course but nothing to say he won't act there. I've also got  a man crush on Ryan Moore so gotta back him.

Spirit of Valour , place maybe but not for me, other two I'd be gobsmacked and in old days would tear up my formbook,  nowdays I would recycle my tablet in a responsible manner.

What do you like for it  OM ?

A few variables RR...not the least of which are the overseas raiders. Moonee Valley is a horses for courses track so anything with form there always worth a look, and there are a few. Having said that Kementari is probably the best horse in the race and if he handles the track should win. Brave Smash and Voodoo Lad ( good course stats) other chances. Don't like the fillies apart from Invincible Star. That 1.09 run in the Coolmore behind Merchant Navy sticks in the mind...went way too quick last start when Redzel won in 1.07. Stable going well.

Has there been an effort to promote this and racing in general? Noticed some tv ads from the T.A.B. but they were rather uninspiring. No mention of Winx's attempt to win her 4th Cox Plate - that is 'history' according to mainstream TV. Anything that repeats in the last 8 years is 'history-making' for them and they usually flog the New Zealand connection. Will be many years before another event like this occurs.

Also , saw that Michelle Pickles was on TV3 this week but missed her piece. Did she mention the significance of Winx's race or was she off-the clock, as it seems so many other employees are? Promoting racing on Trackside is preaching to the converted, who are probably ready for another conversion to avoid racing.