RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
Betting man

Raceday welfare

Sitting at home on this fine holiday watching Palmerston North dogs I found myself wondering this..

With summer coming on fast how do the dogs cope sitting in trailers on asphalt car parks for hours at a time?

Is it responsible to card 13-15 race meetings in this weather when there is not sufficient shade to park under? 

3 hours ago, POPA GAS said:

Well we are trying to get all the clubs just have 2 hrs kenneling. 

8 hours ago, Betting man said:

And how will that help bev on a hot day would rather them in the kennels than in the car  and waiting until the last race

GRV are considering that air conditioning units be fitted to trailers etc when transporting dogs when temperatures reach in the high thirtys when traveling 3-4 hours to a meeting.no doubt NZGRA will follow suit. Just think how  this may effect the trainers who travel a lot here in N Z

the temperatures are moderate in nz and do not get any where near the extremes that are experienced  on the east coast of australia.

race meetings are abandoned at 35c. also for your info air conditioned trailors and vans are now compulsory in all vehicles.

the temperatures are moderate in nz and do not get any where near the extremes that are experienced  on the east coast of australia.

race meetings are abandoned at 35c. also for your info air conditioned trailors and vans are now compulsory in all vehicles.

5 hours ago, bus stop said:

GRV are considering that air conditioning units be fitted to trailers etc when transporting dogs when temperatures reach in the high thirtys when traveling 3-4 hours to a meeting.no doubt NZGRA will follow suit. Just think how  this may effect the trainers who travel a lot here in N Z

I was thinking more of the dogs sitting in cars and trailers for 5-6 hrs in the parking lot, it might only be 28-30 degrees but I’m sure it would be a heck of a lot hotter sitting on the asphalt.  

Agree on many of those things discussed above and that welfare is the most paramount issue the industry must get right on all fronts particularly given the intense public scrutiny now focused on it.

Air-conditioning is a must and whilst Australia may endure higher temperatures the humidity in NZ is often much higher adding to just as much stress and fatigue to our dogs on the hot days here.  Many trailers now have a/c units and generators which also operate when the vehicle is parked up at the track.  

In my travels to Australia I learned that it is actually mandatory for dogs to be re-kenneled after they race for at least one or two races to ensure that they are properly cooled down and still under the track vet's supervision in the event they encounter any visible signs of heat stress etc. i can't see why this couldn't be done in NZ too although it could pose a problem to some tracks when staging in excess of 12 races.