RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
scooby3051

Dato Tan Chin Nam Passes Away.

Death of Dato Tan Chin Nam

Death of Dato Tan Chin Nam
Dato Tan Chin Nam with Bart Cummings
Racenet
Article Author

Racenet

The death has been announced of four-time Melbourne Cup winning owner Dato Tan Chin Nam at the age of 93.

The Malaysian businessman made his fortune in property and won Australia's greatest race with Think Big (twice) Saintly and Viewed, all trained by the late Bart Cummings, who also trained his dual Cox Plate winner So You Think.

A lover of chess, Dato Tan also won the VRC Oaks with Faint Perfume and the 1998 Doncaster Handicap with Catalan Opening in his black and white check jacket with yellow sleeves.

Condolences to all his Family and friends a great supporter of racing..May he RIP.

Interesting chap. He was a very very wealthy person and loved his horse racing. His most success at racing came through his association with Bart Cummings. His 4 Melb Cup wins were undeniably his greatest moments as an owner. However, his handling of So You Think was disappointing and difficult to understand. Here was a “filthy rich” person who loved racing. He didn’t need one cent of the money - yet sold SYT after it won 2 Cox Plates as a 3 and 4 yo. Cummings was adamant he could emulate the great Kingston Town and win a 3rd CP but Dato sold the horse to Coolmore. Why would he do that? A man who clearly doesn’t need a $? SYT could have been something else in Australia - as dominant as Winx maybe? Amazing how money can influence some - even when they don’t need it. Cummings was shattered by what Dato did. He couldn’t understand such action. Horses like SO YOU THINK are rare. I remember Manikato’s owner telling me one day that he’d tried to buy another Manikato (for which he paid less than $4k!) but had bought 17 slow ones in a row ! Says it all - as per that Beatles hit - “Money can’t be me love!”

On 10/23/2018 at 8:57 AM, crustyngrizzly said:

Had his fingers in a lot of pies and with the GFC in full swing may have needed money else where,especially as banks were a bit weary of financing

property developers.

I don’t think that was the case. Imagine the owners of Winx, after her win in Qld about 27 starts ago. They are very wealthy people. Very wealthy indeed. Imagine if they were offered $2m back then - and took it. Then sat back and watched someone else take that ride of a lifetime. Peter Tighe has a share in about 50 well bred racehorses. He can afford it. But only one Winx amongst them. Well, SYT was Dato’s Winx if he had left it with Bart. You have to wonder why he did it. It certainly puzzled Bart.

He also sold Think Big Stud because none of his offspring were interested in racing, and bailed out Cummings when he was bankrupt.Cummings lost his house and farm and Dato bought them back and sold them to Cummings later on.

As Buffett always says you don't know whose not wearing trunks until the tide goes out.

On ‎10‎/‎23‎/‎2018 at 8:36 AM, Trump said:

Interesting chap. He was a very very wealthy person and loved his horse racing. His most success at racing came through his association with Bart Cummings. His 4 Melb Cup wins were undeniably his greatest moments as an owner. However, his handling of So You Think was disappointing and difficult to understand. Here was a “filthy rich” person who loved racing. He didn’t need one cent of the money - yet sold SYT after it won 2 Cox Plates as a 3 and 4 yo. Cummings was adamant he could emulate the great Kingston Town and win a 3rd CP but Dato sold the horse to Coolmore. Why would he do that? A man who clearly doesn’t need a $? SYT could have been something else in Australia - as dominant as Winx maybe? Amazing how money can influence some - even when they don’t need it. Cummings was shattered by what Dato did. He couldn’t understand such action. Horses like SO YOU THINK are rare. I remember Manikato’s owner telling me one day that he’d tried to buy another Manikato (for which he paid less than $4k!) but had bought 17 slow ones in a row ! Says it all - as per that Beatles hit - “Money can’t be me love!”

4 hours ago, Trump said:

I don’t think that was the case. Imagine the owners of Winx, after her win in Qld about 27 starts ago. They are very wealthy people. Very wealthy indeed. Imagine if they were offered $2m back then - and took it. Then sat back and watched someone else take that ride of a lifetime. Peter Tighe has a share in about 50 well bred racehorses. He can afford it. But only one Winx amongst them. Well, SYT was Dato’s Winx if he had left it with Bart. You have to wonder why he did it. It certainly puzzled Bart.

Why do you adamantly assume it was about the money? Why do you state that Bart was puzzled about the sale?

It is well known to those close to both Dato and Bart; that Dato wanted to campaign SYT in Europe whilst Bart wanted to keep him in Australia. So Bart may have been angry and dispappointed that he was kept in the dark about the sale negotiation, and was quoted as being devastated that SYT was leaving his stable, but definitely not puzzled.

It is also well documented that Dato retained a decent share in SYT with estimates putting his confdential sale price around the $30 million mark. So it was never about the money.

At the time of SYT's sale, Dato's racing manger Duncan Ramage politely referred to the disagreement, explaining: "At his age, Bart was going to struggle to be able to travel with the horse overseas"

Here was a billionaire owner at the later years of his life, who wanted to see the horse of his lifetime, attempt to beat the best in the world in Europe, instead of staying at home and beating the best of Australia. This is the major point of difference between Dato and the Winx camp.

BENBATL, a 2nd tier European G1 horse really put into perspective the lack of quality WINX has beaten, after destroying the same Australian opposition by WINX like proportions from the front.

53 minutes ago, Virtual.Stipe said:

Why do you adamantly assume it was about the money? Why do you state that Bart was puzzled about the sale?

It is well known to those close to both Dato and Bart; that Dato wanted to campaign SYT in Europe whilst Bart wanted to keep him in Australia. So Bart may have been angry and dispappointed that he was kept in the dark about the sale negotiation, and was quoted as being devastated that SYT was leaving his stable, but definitely not puzzled.

It is also well documented that Dato retained a decent share in SYT with estimates putting his confdential sale price around the $30 million mark. So it was never about the money.

At the time of SYT's sale, Dato's racing manger Duncan Ramage politely referred to the disagreement, explaining: "At his age, Bart was going to struggle to be able to travel with the horse overseas"

Here was a billionaire owner at the later years of his life, who wanted to see the horse of his lifetime, attempt to beat the best in the world in Europe, instead of staying at home and beating the best of Australia. This is the major point of difference between Dato and the Winx camp.

BENBATL, a 2nd tier European G1 horse really put into perspective the lack of quality WINX has beaten, after destroying the same Australian opposition by WINX like proportions from the front.

VS , kind of agree with you. SYT was campaigned hard by Ballydoyle and imho emerged with a huge reputation  up North, as a class horse with iron constitution. He was at most big meetings , tried on dirt , a champion .The fact is and I know Chris Waller is on a downer after what Matt Chapman said ( although I think you would have to watch a bit of Matt to see he's a rev up merchant who means no harm and is again in my opinion both knowledgeable and forthright ) that the Euros are some many lengths ahead in general at her best distance.I would argue  they are ahead In both breeding and training horses over in my opinion mile plus   or would  argue more strongly mile quarter up . It's proved year after year both the imports and internationals. Yesterday was first time since 2009 a Southern bred horse won Geelong Cup. I could reel off a list of handicappers, listed, group 3 Northern horses that came to Aussie and won group 1s, Grand Marshall, December Draw, Contributer, Hartnell, It's Somewhat , it goes on and on. Criterion showed up in Europe its tough and he was very very good , best of his day here. Look who filled last places last week  CC Cup, who fills most top 10 Melb Cup now days,  where do Aussie big guns buy their older in training  horses.So Winx is beating weaker opposition  fact, however she can only win v who's she's against.That last win in Turnball though , she should never have won,  that was a big statement , that was brilliant.

Who knows what Winx would have done in  Europe, I think she would have won a Group 1 for sure , be so dominant for so long , no way. Just look at list of world's top 10 ranked and where they race.Times mean nothing in Europe generally, every track different so that's no formline to use.Sandown , to Goodwood to York to Ascot all got own characteristics.

I read Euros best don't travel, no not down here due to timing , they regularly travel between each country, they travel in big numbers to Breeders Cup and Hong Kong International meeting. Enable next week at Churchill Downs, Roaring Lion may have a sporting go at the Dirt Classic if well. Frankel didn't travel   but crushed best there was in distance range Europe are dominant .

Black Caviar dominated in distance range Aussie lead the world in and won with all conditions against her up North.

Winx is a wonder horse , 20 mill in bank why would you travel with risks involved but there will always be that opinion up north, if I were connections , who cares what others think. What a ride she's given them.

Others clearly would disagree but that's the fun of racing,  different opinions and favorite horses.

Dato Tan China Nam maybe took another view, no right or wrong though imho.Different with stallion anyway commercially .