RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
rdytdy

Otaki Uh Oh!

Watched the first couple of races couldn't believe the state of the track ,They were throwing up chunks of turf quite noticeably on the turn and up the straight , I wonder how much the Turf Experts were paid for their expertise and consultation on providing this surface?

23 minutes ago, army said:

Glad the trainer decided to go to Te Rapa insted of down there would have been a big cost for nothing. Hope they dont charge us a scratching fee

I not quite sure how to get a copy and attach it to here but if I could I would show my ticket on Larima after I listened to the trainer J.Miller talking on trackside. then to watch what transpired with the horse at the rear of the field it was nightmarish! Wonder if they will give my money back ?

Waipukurau won’t help the majority of horses that missed a run today with only a rating 72 1200 and a 65 1600 on the card  - the rest maidens!

todays card rating 65 through to open handicap lost at $22,500 minimum stakes 

Not as if it was a low grade meeting either. $140,000 of stakes not paid out in the five abandoned races. You can perhaps see why the stakes levels often bear no relationship to the quality and quantity of fields in NZ. Trainers perhaps feel they just need to take the start when they can get it and not base everything on stakes levels. The tendency in recent times has been for meetings at so called premium tracks to be just as likely to get abandoned as meetings at smaller tracks, perhaps even more likely to be abandoned.

Who’s going to front up and explain today’s debacle? Trainers ,Jockeys , starters , stablehands all get fined for the simplest oversight or mistake. Today we have a racecourse that has been out of action for 9 months or so has had extensive drainage work undertaken and then it’s given the all clear to resume. My question is why weren’t jumpouts or offical trials held on the track to see if it was up to scratch ? Word is 12 horses from a stable galloped in pairs to approve the surface obviously that’s not good enough. Who from NZTR is going to stand up and admit we stuffed up . Mr Saundry has had an armchair ride since Mr Purcell went .Probably about time he faced the music. 

I thought Larima was one of the bets of the day ( as a horse with untapped ability)even allowing for the fact of the back running tendency in a ten horse field . My only reservation was the rider, for mine very very overrated . The ride as it transpired confirmed my concern and from start to finish it’s plain to see, only reason the meeting was abandoned as well:rcfe-happy-2:kick her off and put up someone that wants to win. ..with all due respect of course:rcfe-money:

1 hour ago, Gruff said:

I thought Larima was one of the bets of the day ( as a horse with untapped ability)even allowing for the fact of the back running tendency in a ten horse field . My only reservation was the rider, for mine very very overrated . The ride as it transpired confirmed my concern and from start to finish it’s plain to see, only reason the meeting was abandoned as well:rcfe-happy-2:kick her off and put up someone that wants to win. ..with all due respect of course

Think you're a bit hard on Rosie for that ride Gruff as it's as plain as the nose on you're face that the horse slipped free of interference around the 900m mark on the tv coverage.

Its the NZTR that need to be accountable, 3 abandonements in a fortnight on tracks rated as Good or Dead. Surely the All Weather tracks aren't the answer for these.

I am all for safety and mean no disrespect to anyone  horses so slip sometimes and it's not always the track which most are very quick to blame.

was the horse vetted post race did it have it shoes checked?

For mine or looked uncomfortable and was changing legs frequently which would make anything slip at speed. It's previous race was similar and for mine the horse did not look right is it always the fault of the track?

Are all weather tracks going to fix our problem of Raceday Abandonments???? I have studied photos of Synthetic tracks in Aus and most don't to be very wide...Sure they will be ok for training on but it may mean we have to have Max 8 horse fields.. (Mooney valley is and exception but don't think we will be able to afford one like that anywhere in NZ)

34 minutes ago, ardentbuzz said:

Are all weather tracks going to fix our problem of Raceday Abandonments???? I have studied photos of Synthetic tracks in Aus and most don't to be very wide...Sure they will be ok for training on but it may mean we have to have Max 8 horse fields.. (Mooney valley is and exception but don't think we will be able to afford one like that anywhere in NZ)

Geelong and Pakenham can take at least 12 for all barriers, 14 I think in some cases, Moonee Valley has a 14 horse limit and its a Strath

2 hours ago, puha said:

Wasn’t the only one to slip happened around the 700 m msrk also. Think your clutching at straws their mate .Track was the issue.Also you can’t blame the weather conditions.

Aren't you missing the elephant in the room Puha? Goodwin needs to go, resign or be pushed, the buck stops with him, he says he ran trials, no record? why didn't he and the other 'execs' get there very early and gallop and I mean Gallop at least 4 across?......by paying the locals, and I mean a nice fee, they could have organised a gallop like that, dew or moisture aside, at least then he could announce they did everything they could, and then it's down to the club and the contractors.......what a way to run a business, but we know don't we.....a meeting around the sausage roll warmer this morn and a plethora of ''oh wells''.......

Sadly this situation  carries on,  more and more of the masses of low level punters like me will end up spending our punting dollar on Australian Racing,  basically free up morning and early afternoon for other family activities and start our punting day at 3pm. I've started not looking too much at our racing more and more , I sadly find myself losing track of our racing especially while Aussie is absolutely enthralling Spring and Autumn. Hopefully somewhere along the line like Luke Radich wisely said on weigh in other week there's a middle ground from Messara report that can move racing forward here without crushing the people who have kept it going at the lower end .

Hi I  train Larima and I want to clarify a few things.  I can reassure you all the horse is fine and she has never slipped before.

Her shoes were great and as per all  meetings they get checked prerace and were fine after the race too. 

Larima  changed legs as she begun to make her move at around the 900m mark then slipped.  She wasn’t the only one as there were a number of slip marks.  I am just thankful she didn’t do any severe damage or take down another horse.

Rosie was lucky not to fall and needed to check the horse was ok before continuing. She was also squeezed at the start and got held up at the end.  Rosie is a group 1 winning jockey  who can ride light.  There are not too many that can claim that particularly in the CD.   Her ride on Peso was great.  She has also recently lost her father so I am willing to forgive the odd piece of bad judgement but class is permanent.

Larima still finished off well and this wouldn’t have been the case if the horse wasn’t right.  So a luckless run that couldn’t be much much worse.

8 minutes ago, Naki said:

Hi I  train Larima and I want to clarify a few things.  I can reassure you all the horse is fine and she has never slipped before.

Her shoes were great and as per all  meetings they get checked prerace and were fine after the race too. 

Larima  changed legs as she begun to make her move at around the 900m mark then slipped.  She wasn’t the only one as there were a number of slip marks.  I am just thankful she didn’t do any severe damage or take down another horse.

Rosie was lucky not to fall and needed to check the horse was ok before continuing. She was also squeezed at the start and got held up at the end.  Rosie is a group 1 winning jockey  who can ride light.  There are not too many that can claim that particularly in the CD.   Her ride on Peso was great.  She has also recently lost her father so I am willing to forgive the odd piece of bad judgement but class is permanent.

Larima still finished off well and his wouldn’t have been the case if the horse wasn’t right.  So a luckless run that couldn’t be much much worse.

Naki, it's awesome when  trainers /owners/breeders etc come onto these sites and explain things and discuss racing  , couple down South Island do and  again for  a small time punter like me  with a passion for racing it's brilliant, thank you .

2 hours ago, La Zip said:

Aren't you missing the elephant in the room Puha? Goodwin needs to go, resign or be pushed, the buck stops with him, he says he ran trials, no record? why didn't he and the other 'execs' get there very early and gallop and I mean Gallop at least 4 across?......by paying the locals, and I mean a nice fee, they could have organised a gallop like that, dew or moisture aside, at least then he could announce they did everything they could, and then it's down to the club and the contractors.......what a way to run a business, but we know don't we.....a meeting around the sausage roll warmer this morn and a plethora of ''oh wells''.......

Think Scotch Thistle is onto something . Maybe the combination of too much watering and grass that was possibly to long was a major contributing factor . If so it’s human error again. Dont think galloping horses  having their heads held would of made a difference.No trials were held there and should of been . See Woodville trials are at Otaki this week . The horse has bolted i think.