RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
La Zip

Champion Mare rewarded.

Anyone remember La Mer? Yesterday Benbatl won the Ladboke at Caulfield, Used to be rightfully called the Caulfield Stakes, Benbatl has as his 4th Dam that wonderful lady La Mer. Off she goes to Ireland and four generations later Benbatl emerges as a real Cups chance. La Mer in my mind was every bit as good as the mighty Winx......I say that as I believe she raced against better opposition generally, however to see her great, great grandson come down to the Antipodes and win so convincingly is magical.......let's hope it continues!

Well done Baz!

La Mer had 43 starts for 24 wins, 5 seconds and 6 thirds. 

She needed a good track to display her winning ways. Des Harris rode her in all 24 wins and she was indeed a champion racehorse.

Her dam line traces back to another champion filly in Tokamura who raced in Italy scoring 9 wins and she in turn left six winners, three of them stakes winners  including Toulouse Lautrec 

6 hours ago, La Zip said:

Anyone remember La Mer? Yesterday Benbatl won the Ladboke at Caulfield, Used to be rightfully called the Caulfield Stakes, Benbatl has as his 4th Dam that wonderful lady La Mer. Off she goes to Ireland and four generations later Benbatl emerges as a real Cups chance. La Mer in my mind was every bit as good as the mighty Winx......I say that as I believe she raced against better opposition generally, however to see her great, great grandson come down to the Antipodes and win so convincingly is magical.......let's hope it continues!

I see she was sent to some high class names at stud LZ ,  Habitat, Mill Reef , Kris and Reference Point . Her mating with Reference Point weren't so great.( had decent on course punt on him in Eclipse at Sandown once but Mtoto done him)  The Reference Point produce ended up running at one of my favorite courses, Newton Abbot in Devon, a 2 mile summer  selling hurdle so as low as you can go under rules , Sir Henry Knyvet , grand name but clearly not much chop, ridden by Brendon Powell , if he couldn't get it home in a seller I can see why they sacked it. That dam line of Benbatl  in Nahrain and Bahr clearly inherited more of La Mer's class. Bahr was a good horse at the time when Saeed Bin Suroor and Dettori were sweeping all before them .

Pretty sure that her son by Habitat named Magellan stood in NZ for a time.

1 hour ago, Red Rum said:

I see she was sent to some high class names at stud LZ ,  Habitat, Mill Reef , Kris and Reference Point . Her mating with Reference Point weren't so great.( had decent on course punt on him in Eclipse at Sandown once but Mtoto done him)  The Reference Point produce ended up running at one of my favorite courses, Newton Abbot in Devon, a 2 mile summer  selling hurdle so as low as you can go under rules , Sir Henry Knyvet , grand name but clearly not much chop, ridden by Brendon Powell , if he couldn't get it home in a seller I can see why they sacked it. That dam line of Benbatl  in Nahrain and Bahr clearly inherited more of La Mer's class. Bahr was a good horse at the time when Saeed Bin Suroor and Dettori were sweeping all before them .

1 hour ago, crustyngrizzly said:

Pretty sure that her son by Habitat named Magellan stood in NZ for a time.

Here is her progeny list 

CIPRIANI (IRE)   F 1984 HABITAT
CORAL SOUND   M 1990 GLOW
HAMERSLEY (IRE)   H 1983 HABITAT
LADY OF THE SEA (IRE) ch M 1986 MILL REEF
LOUGHMORE (IRE) ch M 1980 ARTAIUS
MAGELLAN (IRE) b H 1982 HABITAT
MARRON GLACE   H 1992 PORTLAW2
MEURSAULT   F 1993 SALT DOME
SEASCAPE   M 1987 SHIRLEY HEIGHTS
None were overly successful

Magellan stood here from 1990 -  2001 Very few mares and did not produce many foals. Mares missing. foal slipped or dead. 

2 minutes ago, rdytdy said:

Here is her progeny list 

Magellan stood here from 1990 -  2001 Very few mares and did not produce many foals. Mares missing. foal slipped or dead. 

Rdytdy how could you miss the mighty  Sir Henry Kynvet 1989 C by Reference Point . 14 runs no wins 968 quid earnt. Tried in Ireland and England to avail.

I googled Sir Henry Knyvett , he was a Tudor Era soldier, decorated in battle, imprisoned for infanticide, released then shot in a duel , survived recovered and later died oweing Queen Elizabeth 1st 4 grand . 

30 minutes ago, rdytdy said:

Here is her progeny list 

i think ian steffert at morrinsville stood him for a few seasons.didnt leave anything of note.

15 hours ago, Berri said:

That field in the Air New Zealand Stakes....WOW!!! that's what it used to be like. That's when real horses raced here and were competitive when they raced i n Australia. Brings back memories.....I'm showing my age. Where do you get the footage from?

Hi Berri,

Dezi Harris gave me some old home made family videos (his father recorded) I converted to DVD .... and these races were on the VHS Tape as well.

Thought that was footage worth keeking and I uploaded them to Youtube.

Cheers Baz!

On ‎10‎/‎14‎/‎2018 at 9:10 PM, Berri said:

That field in the Air New Zealand Stakes....WOW!!! that's what it used to be like. That's when real horses raced here and were competitive when they raced i n Australia. Brings back memories.....I'm showing my age. Where do you get the footage from?

Awesome to watch again. And how good was she going on the home turn in the Air NZ Stakes. She was cantering.