RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
von Smallhaussen

Wellington RC Press release

- he says he put 2mm too much on - ie. should have put 10mm not 12 after all that rain :eek: :confused: :tcheek:

As for the 72 hour thing - I'm not sure that a hard and fast (no pun intended) rule like that is the best policy - what about watering to maintain a dead 4-5 track - whcih on the day may improve to a good - but with an inclement shower may not produce a disaster??

I realise it's not that easy or that prescriptive but surely we should have done better than what was produced for the premier day on Saturday ...

- he says he put 2mm too much on - ie. should have put 10mm not 12 after all that rain :eek: :confused: :tcheek:

As for the 72 hour thing - I'm not sure that a hard and fast (no pun intended) rule like that is the best policy - what about watering to maintain a dead 4-5 track - whcih on the day may improve to a good - but with an inclement shower may not produce a disaster??

I realise it's not that easy or that prescriptive but surely we should have done better than what was produced for the premier day on Saturday ...

If you read the press releases that was what they tried to do.. why would you want an easy track which dead is.... hell we have been racing for a long time without this B/**** ...leave the tracks alone. Prepare them like they used to when track managers had some idea and were guided by the weather not the officials...

If you read the press releases that was what they tried to do.. why would you want an easy track which dead is.... hell we have been racing for a long time without this B/**** ...leave the tracks alone. Prepare them like they used to when track managers had some idea and were guided by the weather not the officials...

Yeah see your point Leigh - but I can understand however that they are leery about hard tracks then getting a shower of rain, dangerous surface and races called off ...

No excuse for what went on this time though ....

Jess, for God's sake, stop dithering around !! You're only muddying the water.

Sounds like they have found or are looking for some 'better' experts ]

Of course, Ruud, not one of those yet-to-be-appointed experts thought to themselves, Tuesday/Wednesday/Thursday of last week, 'Hmmm, this is the same sort of weather we had before we stuffed up the track for Cup Day 2008 by irrigating it. Surely they wouldn't, eh? Maybe I should give them a call and tell 'em not to even think about it...'

When the expert panel is named tomorrow, perhaps we can be told the basis of each member's expertise.

There might be some credibility if the panel consists, say, of a soil scientist, a meteoroligist and a hydrologist, all with particular knowledge of the Trentham track and the level of competence with which any irrigation they give the nod to will be done (abysmal).

Would be good to learn, too, how much the panel will cost, and where the funds to run it are to come from.

When the expert panel is named tomorrow, perhaps we can be told the basis of each member's expertise.

There might be some credibility if the panel consists, say, of a soil scientist, a meteoroligist and a hydrologist, all with particular knowledge of the Trentham track and the level of competence with which any irrigation they give the nod to will be done (abysmal).

Would be good to learn, too, how much the panel will cost, and where the funds to run it are to come from.

All I know is that you have NO chance of being on it Scotchy - infact you would be unceremoniously "grubbed" if you dared show your face down there. You talk too much sense ... ;)

[soil scientist hat on]

I wouldn't have though it would be too hard to determine the water holding capacity of the soil and thus adjust the amount of irrigation required as per the current soil moisture

[soil scientist hat off]

Have the clubs actually ever consulted soil scientists?

Guest bennyboy
[soil scientist hat on]

I wouldn't have though it would be too hard to determine the water holding capacity of the soil and thus adjust the amount of irrigation required as per the current soil moisture

[soil scientist hat off]

Have the clubs actually ever consulted soil scientists?

The answeris very simple just get field capacity measured at points round the track and up the shute.Then make an evaporation pan(met office have plans) Then just replace what the sun and wind remove.

This system works well at Stratford Hawera Waverley Foxton Tauherinikau and Waipukurau and I understand Johnny the grocer and Gail the token women are trying to put this on place at Careyville, after they gret rid of the pop tops and "Guy says" is helping.

God if the industry crap courses can do it why cant the "champagne Turd " have it as well?

Every Dip Ag student at Lincoln is taught how to do a water/field moisture budget so I'm someone at Trentham could manage it. If they spent some money on an oncourse automated weather station (very cheap nowadays) most of the work could be done for them. If they dont have the dish for that there are two such weather stations close by which are streamed to the net. A soil map would assist greatly as well. I have volunteered to help however there are any number of experts available - no doubt they charge a bit more than voluntary!

Every Dip Ag student at Lincoln is taught how to do a water/field moisture budget so I'm someone at Trentham could manage it. If they spent some money on an oncourse automated weather station (very cheap nowadays) most of the work could be done for them. If they dont have the dish for that there are two such weather stations close by which are streamed to the net. A soil map would assist greatly as well. I have volunteered to help however there are any number of experts available - no doubt they charge a bit more than voluntary!

which is good for water?????

Very clever.

Did anyone else watching First Call on Saturday morning cringe every time Karen FE used the phrase Champagne Turf when it was patently clear they had a disastrous track situation ?

Beware of the social racegoers on Cup Day, especially if they go quiet and are green at the gills, often a sign that a Champagne turf is imminent. That's if they're in the flashest of the corporate marquees.

Elsewhere the turfing is likely to be more of Lindauer origins.

Mapping and characterisation would make a good summer student project.

Hmmm.....I think we've got a funding round coming up. How about it WRC?

We have some of the best soil and turf scientists in the world. Wouldn't take a lot of money to manage the tracks right.

14 hours ago, meomy said:

our best irrigation students learn using trusty ole square ice cream tubs for their experiments.

There's always a great use for those empties!!

Given that this thread is about Trentham they must have got the trusty old ice creams tubes method for measuring correct, because the track looked pretty good yesterday!