RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
LightsOut

There is only one disappointment John Allen...

1 hour ago, Ohokaman said:

BD: What’s the biggest challenge facing racing?

PVL: The biggest challenge facing racing is to attract the next generation. There is now significantly more competition. We need to find ways to take on this competition and have the next generation engaged in racing. It’s not simple but we have to make every effort otherwise we may become an industry of the past.  Racing has to continue to evolve to remain relevant. 

ne'er a truer word were spoken

15 hours ago, Ohokaman said:

Some interesting comments from V'Landys in his recent interview.

BD: Are you surprised some people have a problem with the Opera House being used as a sporting billboard, like it has been before for cricket Tests and rugby union Tests?

PVL:  I have been on record that The Everest is a disruptive event.  It needs to be promoted in ways that racing has never been marketed before. Naturally, traditionalists don’t understand this concept and I’m not being critical, just factual. The Opera House promotion has now gone to a much wider audience. However, it was not our first choice. We sought the Sydney Harbour Bridge and had been working with Government to carry out this promotion for 12 months. When the Harbour Bridge was not given the final approval, the Government offered the sails of the Opera House, as other sporting events had been promoted in this way, including rugby union and cricket.  It was also used for a promotion for Samsung.  So, I was surprised at the reaction it has caused considering it has been used for similar promotions previously.  It was always going to receive Government support as it had offered its use when the Harbour Bridge concept was not going to proceed.

BD:  You've taken on The Pope, bookies, parity, equine influenza and now the Opera House and won them all - I can’t remember any or many losses, how do you do it?

PVL:  I said back in 2004 that you should be prepared to lose blood when going into bat for your industry.  You should give it everything you’ve got and never leave anything behind. Also, if you believe you are doing the right thing then you ignore the negative people and the ones that you will never satisfy no matter what you do. My first challenge was the advent of new wagering operators.  Unfortunately, these new operators were not paying the industry for putting on the show.  It started by receiving a 200 page opinion to enforce racing’s copyright.  This eventually turned into the Race Field legislation.  However, the biggest battle was to defend that legislation. This took us all the way to the High Court. The most important aspect was that the High Court found that racing had the right to charge for the use of its product. It gave us certainty. Last year alone, $260 million per-annum was generated from Race Fields schemes Australia-wide. After that battle, during which I was personally attacked relentlessly, my other battles were much easier to deal with. All these challenges have generated over a billion dollars for the industry, so I can safely say that I have given it my all, and left nothing behind.

BD: You have become a powerbroker not only in racing but in rugby league and you clearly have influence in the political sphere. Do you have any future political ambitions and if so, which side attracts you?

PVL: None at all. This will be my last fulltime role. The above battles have taken their toll. I only have a few battles left in me.

BD: What’s the biggest challenge facing racing?

PVL: The biggest challenge facing racing is to attract the next generation. There is now significantly more competition. We need to find ways to take on this competition and have the next generation engaged in racing. It’s not simple but we have to make every effort otherwise we may become an industry of the past.  Racing has to continue to evolve to remain relevant. 

IMG_3587.JPG

Finally someone speaking with clarity about the future of this sport,  The next generation, and how much more competition there is for their dollar.  To many on this site who want things to go back to the good ol days, that is what will extinguish this industry. we need fewer but better facilities, higher stakes, re-branding of the industry from a sport to an entertainment spectacle.  If your not on board, step back and let those with this shared vision take us forward