RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
GOM

What the

On 10/5/2018 at 5:08 PM, legs&lashes said:

And if you are worried about GAP and other re homing facilities being over run with dogs,tell me how come you are not asking why one breeder in the CD is allowed to breed more dogs than the quota for all of NZ for Ozzie imports.

I see the argument of NZ vs Au as hypocritical for a number of reasons. You mentioned one CD breeder specifically and I would like to make comment on that because it is a prime example of the hypocrisy of this argument. If you look at the number of litters bred/sires used in recent seasons you will notice the absence of NZ sires fathering progeny from that kennel. This breeder does not support local sires, I presume because he doesn't believe they are good enough. The money outlayed for straws all goes back to Aussie as does the money for any straw purchased from Australia. I see no difference in importing semen to importing dogs. So if you want to go down the let's ban imports route, why don't we ban semen imports as well, let us support the local sires and keep breeding totally in house? This is a kennel that is held up here in the CD as a shining example of NZ breeding yet they also race imports. Given the numbers bred, why would imports even be considered? I also find it ironic that the last kennel star was not the product of that kennel but instead the deliberate pairing of a small time breeder. If you are going to allow large-scale breeding then you need to ensure that the numbers produced can be re-homed at retirement. Don't try and pass blame on to someone who chooses to not to breed.

Ok so you ban frozen straws can you tell me what sires there are in New Zealand that are proven and how much they cost

And please dont say have alook on the nzgra site as some of them are that old im doubting they are still serving 

30 minutes ago, givemeaname said:

Ok so you ban frozen straws can you tell me what sires there are in New Zealand that are proven and how much they cost

And please dont say have alook on the nzgra site as some of them are that old im doubting they are still serving 

The comment was tongue in cheek, I have no wish to ban imported semen. The clue was my reference to the hypocritical argument put up against Aussie imports.

We might have to make a choice between jobs for the few or a hobby for the many I fear. 
Poorly managed for a very long time with not enough foot on the brakes even now. Regardless what we may all think is the answer there's more to this than just our opinions, and if we don't sort this out we'll all pay for it. The old adage, too little, too late springs to mind.

On 10/4/2018 at 12:57 AM, freightman said:

Thought I would make some comments on this as your comments have no substance at all.

i train for Punters HQ and can tell you They do plenty of homework sorting dogs that will suit NZ racing 

i have 3x class 5 dogs and 2x class 4 dogs and a few other dogs that will get to be good class dogs as well

These are not what I would call tier 2,3 or 4 dogs, and believe me , these dogs are not 2-3k dogs

There are many owners sending a lot of dogs over Cawbournes or Wheeler dogs so this is nothing new to NZ racing

Also they had favourite for nz oaks and the railway  and well as winning group race ( Nancy cobain)

Steve Evans 

See they had an avg c1-2 dog at most requalify today.

Must have failed first time as well as it is the dogs second trial.

He's a 500m dog whom will most likely never go 500m again out of fear of the dog fighting again

These avg dogs are the reason NZ racing has become so boring. 

13 hours ago, freightman said:

Yawn. 

if they are spending more than 5k on many of these dogs, 7-8k by the time the dogs have been landed in NZ, the person who sold them would be laughing all the way to the bank! You can get some top grade dogs from Victoria for double that.

I am sure they spend big money on some of their better dogs that come to NZ and good on them for doing that, but many of their other dogs are avg dogs that are not needed. 

What amazes me is if you look on Greyhound data the Aussies are en masse crying about the dog shortage over there and they are often running 5 or 6 dog fields. That defies logic when they are shipping them over here as quick as we will allow them.

Surely being inundated with the Aussie flotsam is not positive for NZ for many reasons

2 hours ago, GOM said:

What amazes me is if you look on Greyhound data the Aussies are en masse crying about the dog shortage over there and they are often running 5 or 6 dog fields. That defies logic when they are shipping them over here as quick as we will allow them.

Surely being inundated with the Aussie flotsam is not positive for NZ for many reasons

With the current rules in place in NSW and Victoria, numbers have decreased dramatically in the last few years.

It has really hit NSW and Victoria hard. Many meetings are reopened for one or two days at a time these days.

I understand sprinters going to NZ. Unless you are a small hobby trainer having some fun or you have one of the top 5 best sprinters in the country, they are not viable to keep in Australia. Better of sending them to NZ where they can make 30-50k.

Same goes with middle distance dogs in NSW, if you can't compete at the top 5 or 6 tracks in NSW, these same dogs will make 20-30k jumping between c1-3 in NZ.

I remember sending a dog that made 3k in 30 races to NZ a few years ago. Made 35k jumping between c1-3 races over 100 starts in NZ. Could never have made that in Australia.

From a financial perspective, NZ is ideal for many of these dogs that aren't good enough in Australia