RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
Fartoomuch

Nats Back

I wonder how it is that Natalie Rassmussen can be allowed back to drive on a premier night and leading drivers such as Blair Orange and John Dunn were not. Smells like somebody has undue influence to me

2 minutes ago, Stables said:

I wonder how it is that Natalie Rassmussen can be allowed back to drive on a premier night and leading drivers such as Blair Orange and John Dunn were not. Smells like somebody has undue influence to me

Not at all Stables, She has been charged with a non racing  crime, the other 2 not so. The other 2 will be back soon enough given legal arguements have already begun about their restrictions. ts up to the courts to decide their fate

Blair Orange and John Dunn are restricted from participating in their legal right to earn a living and that is by driving horses. How is it fair when they have not been found guilty of any charge

47 minutes ago, Stables said:

I wonder how on earth she was excluded in the first place.

http://www.riu.org.nz/announcements/mediareleaseoperationinca-wednesday5september2018

Media Release Operation Inca - Wednesday 5 September 2018

posted Sep 4, 2018, 7:13 PM by Karin Attwood   [ updated Sep 4, 2018, 7:13 PM ]

The Police and Racing Integrity Unit are investigating Race Fixing in Harness Racing. 

As a result of the investigation to date the Police have arrested a number of persons and charged them with race fixing. 

In view of the serious nature of the charges the Police have laid the Racing Integrity Unit (RIU) has taken action under the Rules of Harness Racing to exclude, all those charged by the Police from entering a race course to attend race meetings, workouts and trials.

The RIU has also charged those concerned with Serious Racing Offences, Rule 1001 (1) (v) (i) of the Rules of Harness Racing. 

The RIU can be contacted by the following means 

• 0800RIU123 

• integrity@riu.org.nz 

• 09 529 7219 

As the matter is now before the courts no further comment can be made.

So what, this announcement does not explain how you can stop a person pursuing their legal right to work, when they have not been convicted of any crime, Natalie Rassmussen's charges are as serious as the charges laid against any of the others in this sorry saga. I do not believe any body will be found guilty of race fixing, but I do believe there will be people found guilty on the drugs charges. The maximum penalty for the possession of class B drugs for supply is 14 years

8 minutes ago, Stables said:

So what, this announcement does not explain how you can stop a person pursuing their legal right to work, when they have not been convicted of any crime, Natalie Rassmussen's charges are as serious as the charges laid against any of the others in this sorry saga. I do not believe any body will be found guilty of race fixing, but I do believe there will be people found guilty on the drugs charges. The maximum penalty for the possession of class B drugs for supply is 14 years

What is the significance of this sentence in what you have raised so far ?

And incorrect. Possession and Supply are very different sentences.  From Community Law office.

Possession - 

The maximum penalty for possession or use of a Class B drug – like speed (amphetamine), hash (cannabis resin), hash oil (cannabis oil), Ecstasy (MDMA), or pseudoephedrine (used to make P) – is three months’ jail or a maximum fine of $500, or both. (This penalty is the same as for cannabis and other Class C drugs.)

However, if it’s only your first drug offence, you’ll usually just get a fine for possession or use of Class B drugs.

Supply however is -

The maximum penalty for dealing in speed, hash or other Class B drugs is 14 years’ jail.

If you’ve got more than a certain amount of the particular drug in your possession, the law assumes you’re a dealer, and it’s up to you to prove that you’re not a dealer. 

The threshold is;

Ecstasy (MDMA) – 5 grams, or 100 flakes, tablets or capsules

Only in special cases will you get less than jail or home detention. But a “suspended” jail sentence may be justified if there’s no commercial element and the quantities are small (here you’re released but if you offend again within the next 12 months you have to come back to court again to be sentenced both for the original offence and the new offence). And in special cases there might be a sentence aimed at breaking addiction by courses of treatment.

Given both current society & government discussion on the 'war against drugs' any sentencing is likely to be at the lower rather than maximum level as is often represented here.

She has not been charged with just possession she has been charged with possession for supply. Neither you or I Know the quantities she was found with so we can't guess what the penalty will  be if she's found guilty but as I say the maximum penalty is 14 years

44 minutes ago, Stables said:

She has not been charged with just possession she has been charged with possession for supply. Neither you or I Know the quantities she was found with so we can't guess what the penalty will  be if she's found guilty but as I say the maximum penalty is 14 years

So in your learned opinion what should the Police,HRNZ  and RIU do , just let them carry on like before.

Yes as of now they are not guilty of anything. If in the end if any of them are found guilty, which I doubt then they should have the book thrown at them including being banned from the track for a minimum of 5 years for bringing Harness Racing into disrepute

1 hour ago, Stables said:

Yes as of now they are not guilty of anything. If in the end if any of them are found guilty, which I doubt then they should have the book thrown at them including being banned from the track for a minimum of 5 years for bringing Harness Racing into disrepute

First of all , welcome back, its been over 4 years since your last post on here which was about Southland racing from memory

You obviously have inside info if as you say you doubt any of them will be found guilty.. Care to share with us all what that information is. And yes , everyone is innocent until proven otherwise but you might want to look at the HRNZ licensing rules as well before you throw too much PC stuff around re those those charged and not allowed to ply their trade.

1 minute ago, Fartoomuch said:

You obviously have inside info if as you say you doubt any of them will be found guilty.. Care to share with us all what that information is. We are all waiting.

Race fixing is very hard to prove especially in a court of law under the jurisdiction of a jury. Many of the charges will be laughable when you look at the evidence. I will  be surprised if the Crown Prosecutor even decides to proceed with some of the cases

2 minutes ago, Stables said:

Race fixing is very hard to prove especially in a court of law under the jurisdiction of a jury. Many of the charges will be laughable when you look at the evidence. I will  be surprised if the Crown Prosecutor even decides to proceed with some of the cases

Oh so you have seen the evidence.

The Blenheim race and if supported by phone messages etc will find 4 of them guilty for sure.

1 minute ago, Stables said:

Again , what evidence are you talking about.The fact that they have been arrested and appeared in court  suggests that the CP was ok with the charges being laid. He would have to be convinced a case was there to answer to by the  NOCG in the first place.

I might agree to a point that some charges might not proceed but only on a plea bargain basis.

1 minute ago, Fartoomuch said:

Again , what evidence are you talking about.The fact that they have been arrested and appeared in court  suggests that the CP was ok with the charges being laid. He would have to be convinced a case was there to answer to by the  NOCG in the first place.

I might agree to a point that some charges might not proceed but only on a plea bargain basis.

I am pretty sure the CP won't be involved yet.

On 10/7/2018 at 10:51 AM, Stables said:

Driving is not their right - it is the privilege given when granted a licence.  Read section 34 of the Racing Act 2003 as to how they can be prevented from doing so.

1 hour ago, Taku Umanga said:

Driving is not their right - it is the privilege given when granted a licence.  Read section 34 of the Racing Act 2003 as to how they can be prevented from doing so.

Its something that many have struggled with in this whole issue. Its sadly a case of who comes first the chicken or the egg in terms of those accused versus the greater good of the game