RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
We're Doomed

Patrick Erin

On 9/30/2018 at 2:52 PM, coro fan said:

Exactly the point I was trying to make - the horse wasn’t sold to Waller’s owners, he is still SI owned - read an article this morning about Patrick Erin and Chris Waller no mention of a bloodstock agent and kudos was given to the Anderton’s and the horses owner’s for sending him to Aussie.

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/racing/patrick-would-be-proud-emotional-metropolitan-win-for-kiwi-stayer-20180929-p506v3.html

You can hardly criticise the handicapper in NZ for giving a good horse a good horse's weight. There is just no depth in our handicaps, so any horse decent enough is quickly going to be weighted out of our racing. Sadly, we tend to find a reasonable type of horse getting into our major races with a light weight, getting a good win, and then  fading away.  There is just not the quality about to be able to string several wins together. Patrick Erin was always fairly weighted here as he was clearly superior to most of the opposition he met.

p

8 hours ago, We're Doomed said:

You can hardly criticise the handicapper in NZ for giving a good horse a good horse's weight. There is just no depth in our handicaps, so any horse decent enough is quickly going to be weighted out of our racing. Sadly, we tend to find a reasonable type of horse getting into our major races with a light weight, getting a good win, and then  fading away.  There is just not the quality about to be able to string several wins together. Patrick Erin was always fairly weighted here as he was clearly superior to most of the opposition he met.

What impresses me most is the fact the horse is settling so much better.

It was [ to me ] a matter of much interest to see how a sometimes 'stressy' horse adapted from the semi-rural environment of the Taeri  with ample paddock space,  to the high-pressure and confined Sydney stable to which he went.

He was known to pull hard in his races at times,  not a problem against provincial fields,  he was still too good,  but his biggest downfall in the Wgtn Cup  - IMO - far more than his weight.  If he had settled,  he would have been a home run I feel.

And yet,  within a couple of runs,  Chris W has him lobbing along off the bridle.  Super training.

As an aside,  I was the 'nominal' trainer of Pat's granddam Red Diamond when she won at Wellington,  a few years ago.

Trainer Garth Jackson had a bit of a problem with the feds,  and he asked me to take over the training of his team for a while.  Wife Jane had everything running smoothly,  I did absolutely nothing but provide the name on the racebook, and business carried on as usual.  Garth had the mare well ready and she won nicely for owner Pat.

It's a real shame he isn't around to see his pride and joy performing so well.

4 hours ago, Pam Robson said:

p

It was [ to me ] a matter of much interest to see how a sometimes 'stressy' horse adapted from the semi-rural environment of the Taeri  with ample paddock space,  to the high-pressure and confined Sydney stable to which he went.

He was known to pull hard in his races at times,  not a problem against provincial fields,  he was still too good,  but his biggest downfall in the Wgtn Cup  - IMO - far more than his weight.  If he had settled,  he would have been a home run I feel.

And yet,  within a couple of runs,  Chris W has him lobbing along off the bridle.  Super training.

As an aside,  I was the 'nominal' trainer of Pat's granddam Red Diamond when she won at Wellington,  a few years ago.

Trainer Garth Jackson had a bit of a problem with the feds,  and he asked me to take over the training of his team for a while.  Wife Jane had everything running smoothly,  I did absolutely nothing but provide the name on the racebook, and business carried on as usual.  Garth had the mare well ready and she won nicely for owner Pat.

Garth had a few problems with lots of people but was a master trainer Pam. Those were the days at Riccarton - in no particular order, Ned,Dave,Garth and that chap who only ever had 6 in work and was Barts eyes and ears. Forgotten his name:rcf-kiss-1:

1 hour ago, JJ Flash said:

Garth had a few problems with lots of people but was a master trainer Pam. Those were the days at Riccarton - in no particular order, Ned,Dave,Garth and that chap who only ever had 6 in work and was Barts eyes and ears. Forgotten his name:rcf-kiss-1:

Yeah...sure were the days...I count myself very lucky to have been around when they were...I can still bring to mind so much that Dave Kerr and Ned used to say and do.

Were you referring to Jim Tompkinson?

Barrie Taggart was another,  a really good bloke..I worked for both him and Ned at different times and Gary Lee also...Bill Beck to whom Garth was apprenticed,  what a wealth of information he has about old times.

5 hours ago, Pam Robson said:

p

Wouldn't the cruising speed in Sydney races be quicker than NZ? I thought that would be the main factor in him settling during the races? 

1 hour ago, Pam Robson said:

Yeah...sure were the days...I count myself very lucky to have been around when they were...I can still bring to mind so much that Dave Kerr and Ned used to say and do.

Were you referring to Jim Tompkinson?

Barrie Taggart was another,  a really good bloke..I worked for both him and Ned at different times and Gary Lee also...Bill Beck to whom Garth was apprenticed,  what a wealth of information he has about old times.

Jim T was indeed the man i was referring to Pam. Could he train a horse or what. Had the odd good apprentice including J Hawes , better known these days as mother of Alysha Jason and Tasha.

17 minutes ago, JJ Flash said:

Jim T was indeed the man i was referring to Pam. Could he train a horse or what. Had the odd good apprentice including J Hawes , better known these days as mother of Alysha Jason and Tasha.

Also known as the wife of a fairly handy trainer?