RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
CosmicBlackie

Race Fields Amendment Bill withdrawn

1 hour ago, CosmicBlackie said:

Where to now?

Could it be a procedural thing , lump a big racing amendment bill as one with the Messara recommendations rather than piecemeal approach of bits of legislation here and there pushing through a parliament that in the main have little idea about the sport. I have said before though where does this monetary figures arrive from re racefields , plucked out the sky ?  what's the market testing results?  

That prizemoney loan from other year will be due, the heavy hitters might call it in , who knows, hopefully someone will or it will be a diet of Keiba , Kawasaki midweek , luckily the OZ stuff at the weekend.

Memo John Allen

Instead of bemoaning the possible loss of $1 million a month as a result of the scrapping of the Race Fields Legislation here is an idea for you. Each month make redundant 10 overpaid NZRB staffers and hey presto you will have $1million extra per month. Simple!

Nice one Winston , not a bad tactic if you want people to start begging for the Messara report to be implemented . The RB have bankrolled the most recent stake increases in anticipation of racefields profits , clearly this will be a lengthy delay and if it's another 12 months the RB will have payed out around $30 million because of the delays instead if the anticipated $6 million .

I know I'm a little  cynical but Winston knows how to work a crowd , this should create quite a split in the industry and put huge pressure on the RB , it remains to be seen if the RB will continue topping up stakes or will they allow stakes fall . One things for sure financially unviable meetings and financially  unviable tracks will come under intense pressure and perhaps that's what this is all about .

10 minutes ago, tripple alliance said:

One things for sure financially unviable meetings and financially  unviable tracks will come under intense pressure and perhaps that's what this is all about .

Except that all TR meetings are financially nonviable at current stake levels, the higher stake ones more so, and Racefield's legislation won't make a big difference to that, certainly not reverse it.

14 minutes ago, tripple alliance said:

Nice one Winston , not a bad tactic if you want people to start begging for the Messara report to be implemented . The RB have bankrolled the most recent stake increases in anticipation of racefields profits , clearly this will be a lengthy delay and if it's another 12 months the RB will have payed out around $30 million because of the delays instead if the anticipated $6 million .

I know I'm a little  cynical but Winston knows how to work a crowd , this should create quite a split in the industry and put huge pressure on the RB , it remains to be seen if the RB will continue topping up stakes or will they allow stakes fall . One things for sure financially unviable meetings and financially  unviable tracks will come under intense pressure and perhaps that's what this is all about .

The trouble is Triple, the "financially unviable meetings and financially unviable tracks" may not be the ones you imagine them to be.

1 hour ago, We're Doomed said:

The trouble is Triple, the "financially unviable meetings and financially unviable tracks" may not be the ones you imagine them to be.

We have a list of 20 tracks under Messara threat ,  examine those , this week we have had Winton and Waipukurau , Winton will be a little harder to access being dual code and at least it's well used , in fact the only reason to close it will be to boost Invercargill , perhaps Messaras theory is boosting tracks in more populated areas is our best chance of survival. Accessing Waipukurau should be fairly straight forward , we know conducting that meeting must have cost the industry around $100,000 , why not ask  NZracing if money was made or lost .

1 hour ago, tripple alliance said:

We have a list of 20 tracks under Messara threat ,  examine those , this week we have had Winton and Waipukurau , Winton will be a little harder to access being dual code and at least it's well used , in fact the only reason to close it will be to boost Invercargill , perhaps Messaras theory is boosting tracks in more populated areas is our best chance of survival. Accessing Waipukurau should be fairly straight forward , we know conducting that meeting must have cost the industry around $100,000 , why not ask  NZracing if money was made or lost .

Money will definitely be lost after stakes. However, nowhere near as much at those two meetings as will be lost next weekend at Hastings.

A most expected outcome and probably the best thing since sliced cheese. The last draft of the so called "Race Fields Legislation" was a crock. How many of you read it? How many of you thought it was relevant? How many of you thought it paved the way to growth and prosperity?

I for one thought it was an absolute crock of shit. Narrow minded bunch of words written by people with off target agendas and suffering from a lack of imagination, coupled with absolutely no knowledge of the betting/ racing and betting technology industries.

I don't like the idea of anyone missing out being close to horses, especially race horses but our society and internal priorities are changing....often for the worse. We can't really change much that doesn't want changing. The best we can do is place our love of horses and the sport in the way of non participants and hope that they see what we all enjoy. If we do this correctly enough, we may convince or seduce them to participate so that we can leverage our love for the game to make it better for horses. If that happens then we will ultimately make it better for ourselves.

You bemoan the closing of race tracks. If you had the choice of having horses brought up under the current circumstances where there are too few people looking after too many horses because trainers can't afford the right number of people, or implemented a well organised program to change things for the benefit of future participants in a better way, then why not have the courage to take the next steps?

We are at a very interesting crossroads. Everyone has been asked to make submissions in respect of the proposed changes. Have you taken the time to make one? Are you all going to be people who spout but don't do? At the very least you could all collaborate to produce something meaningful.

5 hours ago, tripple alliance said:

No midweek meeting makes money so don’t single out Waipuk.They were actually asked to run the meeting as Otaki a keeper is a dogs breakfast and can’t hold their meetings. Point your gun in the right direction you might have a half chance of hitting the target.What would you like to access?The land that was gifted to set up a racecourse? Or the volunteers that run the place for zilch ? Or the $$$$ they have managed to accumulate over decades  which would be quickly squandered by those intrusted to steer the industry?

5 minutes ago, puha said:

No midweek meeting makes money so don’t single out Waipuk.They were actually asked to run the meeting as Otaki a keeper is a dogs breakfast and can’t hold their meetings. Point your gun in the right direction you might have a half chance of hitting the target.

So Puha tell me outside of race meetings how much does the course earn from the Community??? Just asking thanks.

18 minutes ago, scooby3051 said:

So Puha tell me outside of race meetings how much does the course earn from the Community??? Just asking thanks.

I don’t have figures and wouldn’t be my place to say but it’s used at times by the army who actually set up base for a couple of weeks and used for army exercises. Local community use it for a base for cycle events , half marathons etc and a few cross country horse events etc etc so I’d say it’s more important as an asset not a huge money making exercise.Wife actually runs jumpouts here and it does do ok .Ask the likes of Latta , Benner, Bary ect what an asset it is . Wasn’t long ago J Benner had nowhere to gallop Scot Base so came to the Waipuk jumpouts and won that day and well went on to win the big one . It holds its own pays its way which many of the bigger clubs can’t say they do.

8 minutes ago, puha said:

I don’t have figures and wouldn’t be my place to say but it’s used at times by the army who actually set up base for a couple of weeks and used for army exercises. Local community use it for a base for cycle events , half marathons etc and a few cross country horse events etc etc so I’d say it’s more important as an asset not a huge money making exercise.Wife actually runs jumpouts here and it does do ok .Ask the likes of Latta , Benner, Bary ect what an asset it is . Wasn’t long ago J Benner had nowhere to gallop Scot Base so came to the Waipuk jumpouts and won that day and well went on to win the big one . It holds its own pays its way which many of the bigger clubs can’t say they do.

But does that deserve it to stay I am sure there are plenty of clubs that are self sufficient but if racing is not rationalized we won't have much left soon. Just my opinion but something HAS to give.

1 minute ago, scooby3051 said:

But does that deserve it to stay I am sure there are plenty of clubs that are self sufficient but if racing is not rationalized we won't have much left soon. Just my opinion but something HAS to give.

Agree something does but just because you are in the same industry as someone else doesn’t mean you can’t just access others assets does it? Take Stratford for example who has the right to stop that club from using their course as a training centre if their racing licence is withdrawn? Last time I looked at the map we were in New Zealand not Zimbabwe.

14 minutes ago, puha said:

Agree something does but just because you are in the same industry as someone else doesn’t mean you can’t just access others assets does it? Take Stratford for example who has the right to stop that club from using their course as a training centre if their racing licence is withdrawn? Last time I looked at the map we were in New Zealand not Zimbabwe.

No but if nobody is prepared to move and do WHATS BEST FOR ALL, how can anyone ever make the industry work.??? 

16 minutes ago, scooby3051 said:

No but if nobody is prepared to move and do WHATS BEST FOR ALL, how can anyone ever make the industry work.??? 

Best for All ? How does that work ? Guess whatever is decided needs to be agreed upon by ALL stakeholders not statements about we will take this or that .Also remember once a course is closed and sold it’s gone forever and how can we truly trust those that continually stuff up.

You're all still bitching about the concept of rationalizing racecourse assets to maximize racing's market share in the gaming/ entertainment industries. What about the rest of it? We need great surfaces to race on. Why haven't the clubs managed to do this to the extent that we don't have a disproportionate number of cancellations at a time of the year when we shouldn't be having any. Why haven't the clubs taken matters into their own hands to produce a viable business opportunity because currently racing is not that. 

Get off the merry go round and start to think big picture. Small thinking has failed. In my humble opinion, the real mojo is held by the owners. They pay for the game

1 hour ago, scooby3051 said:

I don't quite get your point scoobs. A lot of tracks are used for other community activities but I don't think that really affects the racing rationalisation which is needed. However, first, the remaining tracks need to be brought into sustainable condition to conduct the racing and that surely shouldn't be at the expense of assets from surrounding communities and I expect won't be. It's an unsustainable business as it stands and government or community handouts won't change that.

20 minutes ago, Leggy said:

I don't quite get your point scoobs. A lot of tracks are used for other community activities but I don't think that really affects the racing rationalisation which is needed. However, first, the remaining tracks need to be brought into sustainable condition to conduct the racing and that surely shouldn't be at the expense of assets from surrounding communities and I expect won't be. It's an unsustainable business as it stands and government or community handouts won't change that.

What i am trying to get at is how much if a club says it is an asset and is used extensively by the community, how much income does it generate, my understanding is SFA, from what I have been told.

So why not do what Fielding and a few others did, and use the better facilities at a more central club and not have all the upkeep costs, still run the race meeting and not have to close, some clubs WILL be forced to close so why not try to do what's best for all the industry participants, thats just my view. It makes no sense to all dig in and protect their own patch of turf, that achieves zero for everyone.

Well I hate to say I told you so but... what a massive waste of time and effort. The only consolation is that it would NEVER have produced ANYTHING like the ridiculous figures bandied about by Allen and his believers. Race Fields Legislation joins Typhoon and Triple Trio as false  idols.Time to get rid of the snake oil salesmen. Hughes, Allen, and maybe get someone in who has half a clue about the racing or gambling industries or both?

6 hours ago, scooby3051 said:

What i am trying to get at is how much if a club says it is an asset and is used extensively by the community, how much income does it generate, my understanding is SFA, from what I have been told.

So why not do what Fielding and a few others did, and use the better facilities at a more central club and not have all the upkeep costs, still run the race meeting and not have to close, some clubs WILL be forced to close so why not try to do what's best for all the industry participants, thats just my view. It makes no sense to all dig in and protect their own patch of turf, that achieves zero for everyone.

I still don't really get your point. Whether a course is used 100 days a year for other activities or 1 day a year for a race meeting, for the most part it was paid for by community donations, maintained by community volunteers and sponsors etc., and belongs to the community not the racing industry. If the racing industry chooses to no longer use it for racing then the community should decide whether to continue to use it for other purposes or divert its use to alternative community purposes or sell it and use the funds for other community purposes. I don't see what it matters whether it is currently used more widely or not or whether it generates income. It certainly generates none from any race meetings it holds. Those are subsidised  by the community, pokies, overseas racing etc.

Lets look at it from the other side of the argument.

Lets say the club refuses to give up its asset of the club, just say. 

They have their dates removed so they cant race anymore, is that what they really want??? What if the powers that be said ok you dont want to work with us you cant move to race at another club your racing club would die would it not??? is that the outcome here. Once again just asking questions.