RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
scooby3051

Bernard Saundry Weigh In Interview...your thoughts.

I like Sheldon's approach to this interview. He asked the hard questions and even organised some from Riccarton on Saturday. He cleverly told Sundry how to gain the respect of the industry as well. Be transparent and accountable when making decisions - oh and if you do that we may get you back on the show. Bloody good work!

A couple of comments , it seems no one at NZTR or RB  have any doubts about race fields legislation and the assorted taxes succeeding , Bernard Saundry  quoted the expected $1 million a month , (that's what the delay in implementing race fields is costing) or around $2500 extra for every race run .

One concern , what makes people so sure that replacing one RB with three mini RBs  will see real savings in operating costs , as yet there has been no external  review of the RB . Saundry passed on the question of salary's within the industry , here's an example of what the three  new governing body's will be competing against when recruiting staff. There are 4850 workers at local councils around the country who earn more than $100,000 . That's just councils , corporates will pay more so I suspect anyone expecting salary savings will be disappointed .

There is clearly a question over the proposal to confiscate club assets or funds , I was surprised to hear him say the RB already had the authority to withdraw race day licenses from clubs but this hasn't been acted on or words to that effect , effectively that could be done immediately  which would force clubs to make a decision , contribute or go out of existence , if clubs decide to voluntarily  contribute it would speed up this whole process . I think the time has arrived for real change and will have overwhelming support from the majority of racing participants .

I loved the bit about having a billion dollars of land assets that are "the collective assets of this industry". For the most part Bernard, they are the non-collective assets of the various clubs and communities that developed and own them, NOT the racing industry.  They have generously been provided to the racing industry for its use for many years for very little return to those clubs and communities. On average, probably no return for most of those clubs and communities. If the racing industry now thinks they are going to commandeer or colonise those assets to bail them out of years of mismanagement, I suspect they have another very big and different think coming, and rightly so.

On 9/24/2018 at 10:03 AM, tripple alliance said:

I was surprised to hear him say the RB already had the authority to withdraw race day licenses from clubs but this hasn't been acted on or words to that effect , effectively that could be done immediately  which would force clubs to make a decision , contribute or go out of existence ,

There's a small problem with that Fasthorse and probably why it has never been utilised. The NZRB is also required to:

(2) In carrying out its functions, the Board must—

(a) comply with the principles of natural justice; and
(b) exhibit a sense of social responsibility by having regard to the interests of the community in which it operates.

Think about that for a minute. Not really sure why Saundry even mentioned it. Would certainly be subject to legal challenge. Probably successfully IMO.

33 minutes ago, Leggy said:

There's a small problem with that Fasthorse and probably why it has never been utilised. The NZRB is also required to:

(2) In carrying out its functions, the Board must—

(a) comply with the principles of natural justice; and
(b) exhibit a sense of social responsibility by having regard to the interests of the community in which it operates.

Think about that for a minute. Not really sure why Saundry even mentioned it. Would certainly be subject to legal challenge. Probably successfully IMO.

Just thinking..if the RB is dismantled,  does the above still apply?

On 9/23/2018 at 11:03 PM, tripple alliance said:

A couple of comments , it seems no one at NZTR or RB  have any doubts about race fields legislation and the assorted taxes succeeding , Bernard Saundry  quoted the expected $1 million a month , (that's what the delay in implementing race fields is costing) or around $2500 extra for every race run .

Saundry actually said "as John Allen' will say to you, it's a million dollars a month". If we've learned anything about Allen since Hughes brought him in as her "golden boy", it's that like her he is very good at telling people what they want to hear. I'll take the UNDER. I agree with Scooby's comment the other day, "Until things become professional in NZ the big punters won't touch us." 

I thought by far the best question came from the owner (Steve Ridley?) at 11:10, who asked how an industry whose revenue is decreasing every year can afford to be employing more and more people on six figure wages. Saundry answered with a dead bat: "If we implement the Messara Report we'll build a sustainable future." #step-change 

I thought the highlight was at 15:06 when Guerin turns to look at the camera and the producer/director cut to Saundry. Not a lot of love there methinks. 

Agree with rdytdy, complete waste of 15 minutes. Can't wait for the John Allen interview. 

1 hour ago, Phantom said:

Can't wait for the John Allen interview. 

Why?

I don’t think that he has anything to offer as the time he has been in the job he has achieved very little, notwithstanding all of his promises. 

He has always said the right things but the results, just aren’t there. 

26 minutes ago, Insider said:

Why?

I don’t think that he has anything to offer as the time he has been in the job he has achieved very little, notwithstanding all of his promises. 

He has always said the right things but the results, just aren’t there.

What right things has he said?